IGNORED

Magnepan 1.7 Amp Shootout

Currently, I have the Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 monos. Last night, I ordered a set of heavily modified Stratos monos from Klaus at Odyssey Audio. I'm also going to get a Parasound A-21. After letting all the amps break-in, I'm going to do my own $2500 amp shoot out. Am I missing any other contenders? Maybe the Hk 990 integrated that Stereophile just reviewed??? Anyone in the Hampton Roads area who wants to join in, I should be ready for some serious listening in early March.

Magnepan 3.7i speakers, REL S/3 sub, PS Audio BHK250 amp, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, Server - Atom N2800 motherboard, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD running Windows Server 2012, Audiophile Optimizer 1.40 and JRiver MC 21.

A pair of Emotiva XPA-1s. Class AB with massive toroidal transformers and copious capacitance beats Class D anyday in my book. The XPA-1 will give the Parasound JC-1 a run for a fifth of the cost. Magnepan approved!

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

I agree Emotiva should be on the list, but I have an issue with my Kimber 12 TC speaker cable where they won't reach the + and - terminals on the amp. I guess I should buy the new Nordost cable I've been thinking about.

Magnepan 3.7i speakers, REL S/3 sub, PS Audio BHK250 amp, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, Server - Atom N2800 motherboard, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD running Windows Server 2012, Audiophile Optimizer 1.40 and JRiver MC 21.

The new cables might be worth it to be able to include the Emotiva XPA-1 in the chamber. In addition, a pair of Rythmik F12 subwoofers would do those Magnepan 1.7s more justice as well.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

• 2 months later...

It was a touch better in most respects, more than a touch better in control of the bass. Odyssey was second.

Jerry,

It depends on what you like.

If you have to have the best control of your bass, have a big room and deeper pockets, the Bryston was the choice. W4S second. The W4S has a lot of power but sounded a little edgy/hard compared to the Bryston and Odyssey on the 1.7.

If you value anything else, the Bryston was only slightly better than the Odyssey. For the money the Odyssey was the best value. I purchased the Bryston for it's superior build quality, not because it was worth the money sonically. The Bryston was better than the Odyssey in every way but not worth $2500 extra. It wasn't twice as good.

Let me see if I can quantify it for you. If $2500 or less is your budget, buy the Odyssey you won't be disappointed. Save even more and get the Khartago. If you don't mind spending more, you won't be disapponted in the Bryston because the Magnepan 1.7s are good enough to detect the differences.

For example here, the same Bryston lost quite clear to the Odyssey Khartago I have here, although I admit, I think it is upgraded as far as it will go.

The Khartago was better in almost every respect, including getting a better handle on the bass, no perceptible grain at all, and throwing a really clean, clear, and wide soundstage. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 4 weeks later...

If you have to have the best control of your bass, have a big room and deeper pockets, the Bryston was the choice. W4S second. The W4S has a lot of power but sounded a little edgy/hard compared to the Bryston and Odyssey on the 1.7.

Magnepan still recommends Bryston, but the combo wasn't for me. I went with Bel Canto for a while, and lusted after big tube amps, until W4S came along. I agree that it can be a little bright in some set-ups but with a good DAC in the mix, you can get better sound. My 2.5R maggies don't come fully to life without a lot of oomph behind them, and the kilowatt W4S does better than 300 watt out of other, more established amp brands. You get the added benefit of dynamic range and control over the panels, and it's not expensive at all. If I wanted to spend a lot more, I would go with Audio Research gear - so if the OP is still casting for alternatives, that's what I would recommend, have heard but the 1.7 and the 3.7 Maggies with AR gear and it's amazing.