IGNORED

what speaker to buy and please explain about the use of DAC for IPOD and desktops ( i am newbee)

Dear all

I am from thailand, and the situation here is not so great.....

Anyway, i am the distributor of fergusonhill products from UK and other ipod accessories. As music lover, i mostly listen to highend audio with proper setup and later i decide to do the business in a more mass market in audiophile computer lover ( mid to high end market )

I am very new in the mini speakers for computer. And now i am dealing with Dynaaudio multimedia speaker and also Focal XS.

Can any of you guys who have tried these speaker, may help me share your comment?

ALso are there any other speakers highend brand that you guys know?

One last question about DAC, i don;y understand that why we need the good seperate DAC , eg. IPOD has it own DAC, if we put the more quality additional dac in, will it get better? or the process is it will bypass the DAC inside the IPOD and use the one that we connect? Please help me clarify

If any of you interested in buying fergusonhill speakers and you guys are in ASIA, i can ship the products with special price.

Thank you very much you all

WIT

Hello WIT

Here's my thoughts on the iPod issue. The iPod can benefit from a better DAC. The issue is to my knowledge the Wadia 170 is the only compatible device that can grab the signal before the iPods DAC and get it out. I believe there are some technical reasons, which will be argued about, that even the Wadia cannot perform as well as a stand alone DAC and the iPod Wadia solution will not perform as well as a computer and DAC solution. I don't know if my ears could appreciate the differences, but there are arguments to be made about reclocking the signal and how much space that gear requires. So I would suggest that the low end would be the iPod direct to the system. Mid grade would be the Wadia. Higher end will likely delete the iPod. Since the iPod likely requires iTunes why not run direct from the computer to the system and devote the effort to getting the computer quiet or perfroming as required?

Here's a link where you can read a bit more about this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-116735.html

If you need real detailed technical info keep asking here and maybe one of the DAC designers will chime in.

Best regards,

IT

That's a tough one. There are no best speakers. Possibly there are the best for you. Depends on a lot of things. Bigger is generally better in terms of low end performance. Smaller is better in WAF and both go good with subs. Some folks like speakers with amps inside them. Some like separates. I've had little $200 Infinity speakers that I thought sounded great and big KHorns that I loved too. The only thing I can say I've never had too much affinity for are those little bitty cube speakers. You need to get what you like.

Personally, I'm eyeballing something like Klipsch Jubilees and maybe adding Epik subs and using some TAD drivers although I am nervous about a 2-way system. That's my current thought anyway. I might try to DIY the Jub style cabinets. I use Cornwalls right now and a nice set of full range Fostex based speakers.

Sorry, not much help.