IGNORED

POLL: What USB cable are you using?

/Connected to an asynchronous DAC/

Why would that only be the case for an asynchronous DAC?

And here also applies that different types of noise/interference (if any) are random.

Regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Quoting Paul.Raulerson on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 13:47:

“… Now listen to it for a couple weeks, and then slap a $25 Audioquest Forest USB cable on there and tell us if you hear a difference. :) …”

I agree that my cables are the prime suspects for improvement. Not sure though if this is the cable to change first though. Don’t want to hijack this thread; I may start a new one soliciting advice. … the reluctance I have is that I am quite happy with my sound. Ignorance is bliss.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Only change something if you think it will make a change, for the better. And try to change only one thing at a time!

This is supposed to be fun, not agony!

By the way, I am probably not the best person to argue cables, as I keep finding that a cable can and sometimes does make a huge difference. I just changed speaker cables and am utterly in shock at how much difference the change made.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

And that's why I was very happy to live with Blue Jeans Cables for such a long time. I couldn't hear the difference between them and more expensive cables, so why spend more?

Then, I learned more about what to pay attention to. And now I'm going to be spending a lot more. Whoops.

Same with USB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're happy with the dollar-store wire, say your "amen" and move along ....

I'm pretty sure that upgrading my USB cables will make a difference and one for the positive, but I am also sure there is a point beyond which it will make no audible difference whatsoever.

I've just had to raise that point dramatically with speaker cables. (*sigh*) It is going to take some months to save up the cash to better the cables on the Maggies right now. Especially since I would need a 25' length to put the gear on the side wall instead of in the center. (Better in the center on a cheap Ikea Expedite than in a corner. :)

I've been working with Jim Smith's tips today, and the better I get the room tuned, the more difference each little tweak can make. I might try upgrading USB cables, but at the moment, they are low on the list. ;)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I do agree with ggking7, I don't know if only on an asynchronous USB/DAC or interface, since my interface is asynchronous. I own the Acoustic Revive 1 meter (the one with two separated cables, one carries the power cables, the other the signal cables to the DAC).

Better isolation? I don't know.

Conductor material? I don't know.

Power cables in parallel with signal cables could add noise to the signal, I believe that.

Placebo efect? I don't think so, soundstage is wider, with not center loss.

A friend bought the same after listening mine.

Best regards,

Roch

PS/ I'm trying to build a replica with regular USB cables (if I find the materials)

I'm currently using an Audioquest Diamond USB cable. I started with the Audioquest Carbon which was a fine cable, but settled on the Diamond after having it in my system for a few weeks thanks to a gracious dealer in my town.

2012 (Late) Mac Mini, Oyen 1TB HDD (ALAC files), DH Labs Silversonic Toslink Optical w/3.5mm Audioquest adapter, Rega DAC, Audioquest Columbia IC, Rega Brio-R, DH Labs T-14 Cables, PSB Imagine B

Absolutely love it. Noticeably better than a stock cable.

dammerson vaughan[br]producer, musician, computer audio devotee[br]MacBook Air ->Transparent USB cable ->Wyred4Sound DAC1 ->Transparent MusicLink Interconnects ->Schiit Audio LYR headphone amp ->Sennheiser HD650 headphones with ALO Audio/JenaLabs 18awg copper cryo treated braided hp cables = AWESOME

• 3 weeks later...

Space Shuttle-D II

2 meter length.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I am using the Wireworld Starlight (2M). It seemed like an improvement over the cable that came with my Proton. Might be a placebo, but even so was worth it for me.

Oyen MiniPro via Firewire -> Macbook Pro (Amarra 2.3.2, Audirvana Plus) -> Wireworld Starlight USB -> Wavelength Proton -> Stax SRM323S -> Stax 007 Mk1

Wireworld Starlight in one system, AudioQuest Carbon in another. They're both fine!

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

With the 2011 Mac Mini being larger than the 2009 Mini and the Iomega Mini Max drives it was moved from the top of the stack to the bottom.

This allowed using the shortest cable I have, a 6" USB A-B from Cyberguys. Cannot say it is better than a 12" cable. Should be though.

Waiting for a Iomega Mini Max with Thunderbolt port.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I got a AudioQuest Cinnamon 1.5m today to replace a QED cable of the same length. I'm not sure if there is an audible improvement but it sure does look purdy.

Chris

Win7Pro64[JRMC17>JPlay4.1(Throttle)] > AQ Cinnamon > John Kenny SabreDAC > Denon AH-D2000s

• 2 weeks later...

I have an external DVD drive that I use to rip cds for my Macbook. The superdrive in it is flakey to say the least. I was quite surprised when I did a test yesterday between WireWorld Ultraviolet and the Belkin Gold both 2 meter. Baffling that is for sure!

3 CDs were ripped via itunes and played back via Pure Music via the Halide bridge and my dac . The difference was clearly audible on 2 of the 3 CDs. I preferred the Wireworld.

My question now is if I try a Wireworld Starlight (red one) should I go for .5 meter or stay at 2meter? I do not need the length, but am curious if anyone has tried shorter lengths and heard a benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Locus polestar....easily appreciated upgrade from stock benchmark cable

MPC power cable->2010 Mac Mini->jitterbug>Cardas clear usb cable->Ayre QB-9 DSD dac>kimber hero->passlabs Xp-20 preamp->kimber heros->pass labs X150.8>linn k400 speaker cable->infinity intermezzo 2.6 (with R.A.B.O.S.)->REl G-2 , Amarra as my player

Shunyata triton...Shunyata power cables..

cables as Locus Design and Cryoparts is a wonderful man named Lee Weiland. Lee sold me his demo Antelope Gold/Voltikus combo back in May. I met him at RMAF a few seasons ago. He was one of the good guys.

Lee passed away suddenly last Friday night, at age 46, and leaves a wife who is struggling with cancer. We are looking to set up a fund for the family; Josh from Soncweld is leading that effort. It is thought that it will likely be a link on the RMAF site. Stay tuned.

I use these interchangeably. Both 0.75 meter...

I don't hear any difference between the two... but both sound good to me on my beer budget level, desktop setup.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Just heard about Lee this AM. He was a good man that shared his passion for music through his exceptional products.

"The reformer is always right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right." GK Chesterton

Mac Mini 5,1, SSD, A+, Vaughn Merlots, Wavelength Gemini (45), Wavelength Cosecant Denominator with Mojo-Audio Joule LPS, Blue Circle Music Ring, UpTone Audio REGEN (amber & green), audioquest JitterBug, Locus Design Group Nucleus USB Cable, Acoustic Zen Hologram Speaker Cables & Absolute Silver Interconnect Cables, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Sennheiser 650s with Moon-Audio Silver Dragon Cables, BDR cones & discs, all tubes by Andy @Vintage Tube Services

(from Dave Clark at PFO)

There are several places where one can make a donation to Lee's family:

http://www.locus-design.com/index.php/peacebrigoodbye-leei

http://locus-design.com/index.php

and

https://audiofest.net/lee-weiland/

Please share these with your friends