IGNORED

POLL: What USB cable are you using?

Hi,

The CASH list doesn't include cables which is probably smart on Chris's part. The pros and cons of USB cables have been discussed relentlessly in a variety of threads here in CA. While I have no interest in revisiting the pros and cons, I can't help but wonder what cables are actually in use.

So the question is simple, "What USB cable are you using now?"

Me? Kimber Kable, B Bus Ag, .75 meter.

UPDATED 2/2/12:

88 Cables Submitted

Qty Brand Model

11 Wireworld Starlight

10 Generic

8 Audioquest Carbon

6 Cardas Clear

5 Wireworld Ultraviolet

4 Audioquest Cinnamon

3 Acoustic Revive

3 Audioquest Forest

3 Kimber Silver

3 Nordost Blue Heaven

3 Transparent Audio

2 Audioquest Diamond

2 Belkin

2 Kimber USB

2 Locus Polestar

2 Oyaide Neo d+

1 Analog Research Technology

1 Analysis Plus

1 AR-T Custom

1 ARC Silver Reference

1 Furutech GT2

1 LaCie

1 Locus Axis

1 Monster

1 Nuforce Impulse

1 Oyen Digital USB3.0

1 Pangea

1 Pangea USB-AG

1 Radio Shack

1 Siltech Classic Anniversary

1 Space Shuttle D II

1 StraightWire

1 Synergistic Tricon

1 WyWires LITESPD

1 Ziotek

Thanks for Playing,

Greg

\'08 MacMini/OS X 10.7/4G/160G SSD - iomega 1TB - Pure Music 1.82 /Amarra 2.3.1 - Weiss DAC202 - Kimber Select KS1120 XLR 1M - Bel Canto REF1000 MKII - Audience AU24 2.5M - Magnepan 1.7[br]\'08 iMac 24\"/4G/500G - Sony CRU_840A - G_Drive 2TB - DroboFS 3TB - Pure Vinyl 3.0 - Metric Halo LI0 8/4 - VPI Classic - Van den Hul Frog - S300iu - Kimber 8TC - KEF Ref 201/2

I have been using my printer USB for quite sometime. Just changed it to Audioquest carbon 1.5 meters, but not a significant improvement.

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Wgscott, So that's a vote for generic? 2 meters?

\'08 MacMini/OS X 10.7/4G/160G SSD - iomega 1TB - Pure Music 1.82 /Amarra 2.3.1 - Weiss DAC202 - Kimber Select KS1120 XLR 1M - Bel Canto REF1000 MKII - Audience AU24 2.5M - Magnepan 1.7[br]\'08 iMac 24\"/4G/500G - Sony CRU_840A - G_Drive 2TB - DroboFS 3TB - Pure Vinyl 3.0 - Metric Halo LI0 8/4 - VPI Classic - Van den Hul Frog - S300iu - Kimber 8TC - KEF Ref 201/2

I have (2) Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cables connecting my (2) Western Digital 1TB HDD to my Mac Mini. I have a Wireworld Starlight connecting my Mac Mini to my DAC.

Whether or not there is any audible benefit or performance to these higher grade cables does not matter to me as much as the confidence in the build construction of the cables. I have too many personal and professional experiences with how cheap cables such as those included with many devices can fail and cause problems.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I have pretty much settled on AudioQuest Forest or Cinnamon cables for audio purposes, and Belkin for USB data connections.

The $8 Belkin sounds good (and meets the $2 qualification ;) and is tough.

The Audioquest Forest is pure copper, and sounds about the same as the Belkin, but at $29, is affordable and I have more confidence that each cable will be of the same quality. You occasionally get a bad Belkin cable.

The Audioquest Cinnamon is the Forest with a bit of silver plate on it. I swear that to me, it sounds "faster" than the other cables. At $79, even if it is placebo effect, it is affordable enough I do not feel any buyer's remorse. Besides which, it is the same cable that came with the Wavelength Proton, and that is a good endorsement to me.

I do think that at least to about the $100 mark, you do hear improvements with better USB cables. Though that isn't always true - the $8 Belkin trounced a borrowed "JPS Labs Superconductor Q" cable here. I think that is a rather expensive cable, and my friend was rather annoyed at me when he picked the Belkin. :) To make things better, he liked a Cinnamon cable better than the Belkin.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

wgscott,

Vote no, poll yes. The poll is what USB cable are you using? The best USB cable dicsussion can be found in other threads. :)

Greg

mwheelerk,

Thanks. I hadn't considered HDD cables in the poll but it makes sense to include them.

I'm using the usb cable that came with my IOmega HDD with my MacMini.

Greg

I bought a wireworld starlight USB-USB mini for the Grace Design m903, but changed it with the supplied USB cable to compare. No differences, even at 192fs, so I left it in the system.

For the Halide Bridge I use the USB extension cable ordered from Halide. This works too. I can't tell the difference between the standard length and the added cable, still works nicely.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The Nordost Blue Heaven USB, 1 meter, of course...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Until my V-Link and S/PDIF cable arrive, I am using a 15 foot generic USB cable running across the room. All my other USB cables are too short, so I don't hear any music coming out of them at all, even if I put the USB plug in my ear and listen carefully. The 15 foot cable makes a substantial difference.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Wireworld Ultraviolet 1.0m to a USB hub, then again Wireworld Ultraviolet to MF V-Link (this detour allows me to use Integer mode without pops or clicks)

Alix 2d13/Voyage MPD [linear PSU]-> Musical Fidelity V-LINK -> Musical Fidelity V-DAC [Little Pinkie linear PSU] -> Marantz PM7001 -> Kef iQ7SE

I use a 2.0m length of Wireworld Starlight 6 for my PC based system, which runs from a USB port on the roof of the mini-tower case, over to an Arcam rDAC on an equipment stand.

On my other (Laptop) system, I use a USB2ISO isolator plugged into a Thinkpad and then a 0.5m length of Wireworld Starlight 6 into a MF V-link.

I haven't compared them to other USB cables.

Bought them on the strength of positive reviews of the Ultraviolet and my local dealer stocking them.

Martin

MF M1 CDT -> S/PDIF (AES/EBU - Black Rhodium Symphony XLR) -> MF M6 DAC -> MF M1 HPA -> Grado GS1000i

Linux Mint 13 64bit, MPD 0.17.1 (AIF/FLAC) (MPad) -> USB (Wireworld Silver Starlight) -> SotM dx-USB HD (Paul Hynes SR1-9) -> S/PDIF (RCA- Black Rhodium Scherzo) -> Audiolab MDAC (A06) -> Lehmann BCL -> Sennheiser HD800

My office system:

Locus Axis, 1 meter, between Windows Vista PC and J Kenny mod Hiface Mk2 with Aqvox power supply.

My main system up to this week:

Oyen Digital USB3.0, 0.5 meter, between HDD and Windows 7 PC

and

Entreq Konstantin, 1 meter between PC and W4S DAC2.

But from this week, my hi-fi rig will be strictly USB-free. A Sonore I2S server should arrive today. The internal 2 TB HDD eliminates one USB connection and I2S out via PS Audio Perfectwave I2S-12 HDMI cable, 1 meter, eliminates the other.

Al J.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Had been using AQ Forest until this weekend. Had also listened to Furutech GT2 and Wireworld Starlight in my system. Much preferred the Forest to the former, and very slightly preferred the Forest to the latter. The Carbon, after a bit less than 24 hours of break-in, sounds significantly better than the Forest to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I read through the various postings on usb cables on this site and ended up hopelessly confused as to whether there was a sonic improvement in buying a "better" quality usb cable. So I punted and bought a Monster usb cable since it was really pretty and relatively cheap at $13. I have no idea whether it is better than my $2 printer cable but it sure as heck looks better and it helps convince me that I have a real audiophile system.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

2m.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Hey Bikemig- that surely qualifies you as an audiophile in anyone's book! (grin) A real audiophile can squeeze a dime so hard that the silver flows out and perfectly coats a meter long copper USB cable. S'Fact! I read it in a magazine somewhere!

Seriously though, I appreciate reading about your adventures, and how refreshing your approach to things can be. :)

Yours,

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein