Maurice Ravel

Complete Piano & Orchestral Works

Samson François

André Cluytens/Orchestre de la Sociéte des Concerts du Conservatoire*

*aka Paris Conservatoire Orchestra

I think today I'll begin with CD4 of this marvelous 6-disc set, which includes Boléro, La valse, Rapsodie espagnole, and Ma Mère l'Oye

1130970220_CluytensRavelseta.thumb.jpg.fb92c5641c4a3918ba19b9df11c491fa.jpg

797880803_CluytensRavelsetb.thumb.jpg.21c24d594233cced558cd8b7c6b30a95.jpg

Some tape hiss, of course, but not too distracting, especially in light of the beauty of the music and the wonderful interpretations here.

For a taste, here is La valse:

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Nina Stemme and Placido Domingo

Richard Wagner

Tristan und Isolde

Antonio Pappano/Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

This is my favorite recording of this opera.  While I admire Birgit Nilsson immensely, I prefer tonal opulence in singers, so the two leads here fit the bill nicely for me.  Placido Domingo was the first (and still one of very few--I prefer female voices as a rule) male singer I loved, and my love for the beauty and passion of his singing hasn't diminshed over the years.

1320141173_DomingoStemmea.thumb.jpg.f80e87678a194c1b89431b19d3bcf38e.jpg

Oh, and yes, I gave the singers top billing over the composer deliberately, because I actually like them, while Wagner was a pig! hahaha so sue me! :D 

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

11 hours ago, dieterjp said:

My favourite composer for piano (Scriabin), played by the pianist quickly becoming my favourite performer for that composer:

(Is there a way to combine Sviatoslav Richter with Martha Argerich?)?

image.png.4ab4216cec8132dbf51f0add0c38e072.png

I once saw Richter live, playing Chopin and Scriabin. A memorable experience. 

42 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I once saw Richter live, playing Chopin and Scriabin. A memorable experience. 

I envy jou.. Richter got me hooked on Bach (WTK, my desert island disc).  You are familiar with the the Bruno Monsaigeon doc " Richter The Enigma" ? If you like Richter, is well worth checking out.

Radio Shack, in those halcyon days of the 80's, standing upon its place as a technological byword contracted this CD sampler of original digital recordings from Varèse Sarabande to be manufactured in Japan.  Specifically (to save you from squinting at the small print) used were either SoundStream or Sony PCM digital recording systems with all digital transfers, assembly, and editing performed by Master Digital.  

Realistic-Pure+Classics_FT.jpg     pureclasback.jpg   pureclasinsert1.jpg     pureclasinsert2.jpg