I had never heard of this pianist before, but I'm glad I took a chance! Bold, powerful playing and superbly recorded (24/96)

image.png.7afcb9e63d8175d83c05f49d93aeeeca.png

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

On 5/16/2018 at 2:33 AM, AnotherSpin said:

I am quite surprised to read some jazz lovers have difficulties in acceptance of vibraphone. For me its sound is very organic part of jazz. Very early impressions - Miles' Bag's Groove, various MJQ recordings, Burton/Corea, etc., etc. Or, the sound of Lionel Hampton's Midnight Sun solo in the first minutes of Bertolucci's The Sheltering Sky, one of the best examples of jazz in film soundtrack.

I found that I prefer the vibraphone/piano combo. And so for me the next task is to look for pairs I like.  Some example:

• Gary Burton and Chick Corea in the 1970s & 1980s  (nb. for some reason I never liked Gary Burton with Makoto Ozone).
  • Bobby Hutcherson and (the young) Herbie Hancock in the 1960s/1970s.

I'm a huge fan of MJQ, but I find Milt Jackson often "sounded better" playing in a non-MJQ setting.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

I've just reviewed E.S.T.s latest live album, 10 years after Svensson passed away, here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2018/05/21/esbjorn-svensson-trio-live-in-london-a-review/

c0v2utv1yt1xc_600.jpg

Beware that Qobuz seems to be selling an upsampled version of this, make sure you get what looks like the 24/48 master from HRA:

It's a really nice album, check it out.

Just to put the Vibraphone to bed. I enjoyed listening to Cal Tjader that was a good recommendation, then listening to a George Shearing album - Velvet Carpet -  I have enjoyed very much, the vibraphone is all over it so it can’t be all bad can it

Has George Shearing been covered, what else should I track down?

On 21/05/2018 at 2:43 AM, accwai said:

朱遠琴聲 李明忠, 李村

QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720171018111655.png

I have a guqin hanging on a wall at home that I found at antique's dealer in Macau many moons ago.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)