On 12/7/2017 at 2:56 AM, EuroChamp said:

Rossini & Hoffmeister - Quartets with Double Bass

24/96 release from Dez 1 2017

BIS 2317

In my opinon a very very good album and very well recorded :)

folder.jpg

Enjoyed this very much via TIDAL yesterday afternoon.  Thanks for sharing!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

3 hours ago, Booster MPS said:

I am a fan of Marianne, how is this release?

This is a tough question.  If the political tones it is currently fashionable for musicians to openly display put you off it would be not so good.  Mr. Say plays as if he is an aging and not so distractingly attractive man in the presence of a vital young woman.  She gets the benefit of his experience leaving a quiet sadness in the air unexpressed.  

Perhaps I will play this for a woman and get her impression.  My suspicion is it will result in 'a soft hand but an unsuitable one... he is clearly quite happy with the arrangement.'  All of which gets rent.  Leaving the emptiness of a inner city space with too many memories awaiting the next occupant. 

Quite literally that is how the release goes.  Being a fan, everything that came before it should be pleasing to you.

MI0001015893.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Also picked up this oddball that was obviously repackaged for a Japanese budget release.  Market saturation of the work aside.  This is exactly the type of good quality recording by lesser known musicians I hope to find.  The thrice subjugation of Bach into a paisley jacket does throw question marks into the performance.   

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos 1-3

English Chamber Orchestra lead by Philip Ledger

47c3828fd7a02608c6f01110.L.jpg

It must have been Baaaaah'd or we'd have links to your previous reviewa and initial impressions of this recording. :)    The quite old Sargent is in my queue for this week.    

Yet to hear any of the new Sears Roebuck & Company catalog festooned BIS Neschling release.  I'm quite sure it will make as solid an argument for dynamic ranges as the other four in this cycle.  

4947401-origpic-76a287.jpg

As mentioned earlier, one could argue that Brahem has failed to .evolve artistically since his earlier works. Not sure I agree but I can respect the opinion. While there is a sameness to these works, it still works for me.

Reflecting on my earlier comment, one of the reasons I find his music captivating is his mastery of the oud, an ancient instrument and a  contemporary voice for one of my favorite instruments, the lute.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

5 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

My blog had been neglected for some weeks due to extensive business travel, so to compensate I revieved not only one, but three albums in one go, including this beautiful Jordi Savall album (in 24/88 from Qobuz) but if you have a possibility to rip an SACD you may want to prefer that way to get the original DSD version.

0889176170942_600.jpg

Check out my review here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/12/16/getting-seasonal-again-with-three-beautiful-versions-of-bachs-magnificat/

I’m a big fan of Jordi Savall though I only have a few of his recordings. By the way, what do you think of the 2L recording by TrondheimSolistene?

6 minutes ago, esimms86 said:

I’m a big fan of Jordi Savall though I only have a few of his recordings. By the way, what do you think of the 2L recording by TrondheimSolistene?

I didn’t even know of it’s existence until now.  Just looking at it on 2Ls website, it even features Ola Gjeilo on piano (but where exactly is a piano needed in this work?). 

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available on Qobuz, and I let my Tidal subscription slip after the free three months, so I will need to find another way of checking it out.