IGNORED

Cmp and Cplay

Uzeb

Hey Chris I'm sure your aware of the Cmp project over at AA, I am curious if you have tried any of this or at least given the software a spin. I use the Cmp software and Cplay as my player on a non-dedicated machine (no hardware optimizations as per Cic's recommendations ) and the sound quality I am getting in my humble opinion is jaw dropping. I would be very interested in hearing your opinion since you have heard some other solutions I have not.

BTW I am in the process of building a machine as per Cic's recommendations using a Lian-Li case you refreshed my memory on. (arrived today; very nice indeed, Thank you sir)

Cheers

Shawn L

PC running XP pro, C Play, TC Electonic Konnect 8 Firewire to Spdif, 2 Lyngdorf 2200TDAi amplifiers, Synergy Acoustics crossoverless monitors driven actively by the 2200TDAi\'s, custom subwoofers driven by a Lyngdorf SDA2175

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I found out this finally supports flac. I want to give it a go. Not on a dedicated machine, just on my normal pc. How exactly do all the parts fit together? Do i just install cmp to play from memory, then cplay as the interface? Or do these add on to foobar/jriver etc?

cMP and cPlay isolate themselves from other programs including your operating system to a certain degree and so they don't use any other player like foobar etc. I would say to just give it a go :) I tried it once, but couldn't get it to load anything into the library, and haven't had the time to fool around with it since.

Hi,

Cplay seems to work like any other player. I just load in a flac and it plays. But i keep hearing that cmp sounds bounds better. Could someone describe how these two programs interface or work together, or do they even? I kept getting an error in cmp because it would look for wav files, but only find my flac files (with cue's). This whole thing is kind of confusing and there is very little information on it besides on Audio asylum. Please help. This cmp thing is getting big reviews on Enjoythemusic.com even, I want to see what the fuss is about.

They are meant to work together, Cmp replaces Windows explorer to minimize windows process running in the background. Cplay is the player; Cplay can work by it self but is better with Cmp. Cmp can also be used with Foobar and Winamp as well as some other players.

This is a very basic description; there is a ton of info on Audio Asylum but is rather spread out and a bit of a challenge to pull it all together.

Files are loaded through Cmp which you have to direct it to where the files are stored.

Start Cmp

Click on Cmp icon in lower left hand corner, go to add in upper RH corner and select directory where the files with cues are stored.

You should now see a list in Cmp of music files that have cue sheets.

Click on a file and Cplay should load automatically from there with the selected file.

Be sure to deselect ram load in settings since is meant to be used if using another player other than Cplay. ( will load file twice in Ram if using Cplay)

Any cue file created by Exact copy or converted to either flac or Wav with cue sheet in Foobar will read fine. Foobar is easiest way to covert Flac to wav or flac with cue sheet.

Just using Cmp and Cplay without any hardware or further windows optimizations should give better sound than most other players. Sure did in my system.

PC running XP pro, C Play, TC Electonic Konnect 8 Firewire to Spdif, 2 Lyngdorf 2200TDAi amplifiers, Synergy Acoustics crossoverless monitors driven actively by the 2200TDAi\'s, custom subwoofers driven by a Lyngdorf SDA2175

I got cplay going. My only problem with cmp (after getting over the complicated control scheme lol) is that NONE of my flacs work with their cue sheets. THey all load in to cmp (recognized as flacs), but when i try and play them diagnostics says it cannot find the file "name of file.wav". So i am guessing the cue is wav oriented for cd's or something? I am hoping it is simple to fix, without having to re download/burn a bunch of stuff.

I know files converted in Foobar work, takes seconds to convert also you can batch convert. I have converted all my Flac downloads to wavs with cue sheet this way tales about 20 to 60 seconds per file.

Try converting a few in Foobar and see if this works

Also try a few different files if you haven't already, I get this message every so often and just need to reload the file.

Since you have had Cplay working your sound card is not the problem probably the type of cue sheet.

A lot of my files are downloaded from other folks. The rips appear to be used with EAC for most of them. I would rather not convert all of my flac files to wav (would take AGES). Since this version should support flac it's kind of confusing. It's just strange because I can load everything into cmp (supposedly) but cannot play anything.

Every single album says Disc cannot be played, check cue file for correctness. The cmp^2 shows up in the bottom left so it recognizes that i want to use cPlay, but every single cue file doesn't register. I used a link that is on my other computer (with HD plugged in) so it's going across ethernet, but it recognizes the cue and all the albums I have perfectly, it just cannot play them.

Hmm Looking into cue a bit more, it seems pretty much every cue file uses a format like this.

REM DISCID 590E5008

REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb4"

PERFORMER "The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quintet"

TITLE "The Apocalypse inside of an orange"

FILE "01 - Melting chariots.wav" WAVE

TRACK 01 AUDIO

TITLE "Melting chariots"

INDEX 01 00:00:00

TRACK 02 AUDIO

TITLE "Knee deep in the loving hush of heresy"

INDEX 00 03:53:34

FILE "02 - Knee deep in the loving hush of heresy.wav" WAVE

INDEX 01 00:00:00

Why would my flac files have a cue that uses wav? Is this just for burning to cd's?

Try converting a couple of files in Foobar in both Flac with Cues and wavs with cues and see if it works.

If it does you can set foobar to batch convert; go do something else and couple hours later problem solved

Go into foobar Highlight all the tracks of an album then right click select convert to album images with cue sheets or chapters. This opens a dialog box; select encoding preset wavs or Flac click on ok select file destination. Goes real fast

I believe wavs are standard with foobar, if you want to convert to flacs with cue sheets you have to download a flac component I believe not sure I only use wavs.

I have also not used the batch convert but I know it is possible.

One more update before i head to bed. I converted an album to wav and kept the same cue and it loaded fine. So i suppose my question is, can i change the cue easily to match with flac now? How come i would get flac files with a cue aimed at .wav? I don't know a ton about cue files. I don't normally burn cd's, they just come with my files.

• 4 months later...

I am always interested by the acclaim this program is slowly gathering. I tried it once, but it was early on and it didn't have the gui. Now it seems to be getting better and better. Does anyone know about using cmp^2 without using all of the computer parts/tweaks they suggest (but just using some). What do others think of this program.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out cMP and cPlay yesterday. Will need to listen more but so far sounds very promising. I like that it uses ASIO (and know that not everyone likes ASIO).

Migrating to this would require recreating the cue files for all my albums (which I deleted many moons ago). It would also involve getting used to a very plain Jane interface.

Like I said, need to listen some more. It may or may not sound a little better than my current champ JRiver. Not sure whether I could AB it. It definitely does not sound worse though, which means it's the best sounding player I've listened to over the last year; the others FWIW are, in order of preference (sound quality and usability all considered)

JRiver Media Jukebox 12.0 with ASIO4ALL on XP SP3 / Windows 7 RC

XX High End on Windows 7 RC

JRiver Media Center 13 (not worth paying for over Media Jukebox IMO)

Foobar 0.8.3 unmapped

Media Monkey

Foobar 0.9

itunes v 8 for Windows

itunes v 7 for Windows

WMP / Windows Media Centre

hFX Classic fanless i7 SSD > Locus Nucleus / SW Diverter HR > RWA Isabella LFP-V Pro / New Sensor Genalex Gold Lion E88CC > ALO Sennheiser HD 800 balanced[br]

Is there a main repository of info about cmp / cplay ... I tried google search but didn't come up with a "home page"?

Thanks

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

A few months ago I didn't even know what a cue sheet was until I Goggled it. I thought what a hassle to create cue sheets. Then a member over at the Asylum turned me on to CPlayListEditor. To say the least, I am very impressed. I've never had so much fun using a audio software program.

I like a structured file directory, such as ArtistAlbum, for storing my music files. I rip my CDs to the WAV file format using dBPoweramp, which automatically adds the tags and inserts the album cover artwork in each Album directory. I then use CPlayListEditor to create cue sheets for each album and any mix I choose to create. If you so desire, you can also add as much textural information as you want to each cue sheet in the form of comments (REM).

To be clear, cMP/cPlay does not use artwork, since its design philosophy is to strip down all hardware and software functions to the bare minimum to maximize sound quality. But I sometimes use other audio players that support artwork and I have learned that it's desirable to capture and save all tag information and artwork, rather than having regrets later. This is one of the main reasons why I use dBPoweramp rather than EAC, even though both use AccurateRip. Anyway the link to CPlayListEditor is

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/5/53797.html

Have fun.

Thanks audiozorro ... bookmarks added to look at later.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Oh nice. That cplaylisteditor must be new :D It's a bit of a chore to look up info on this thing, as elf mentioned (I think), but I feel like it's worth it. Especially with the new additions to cplay/cmp/cplaylisteditor in recent months. Once you get the hang of it, it's really quite nice. You could probably even vnc from an iphone or something, as the screen is fairly basic and can even be controlled by a mouse with a wheel.

hi!

i also bumped into cmd / cplay a couple of weeks ago and gave it a try. i also first struggled to get the cue files together but found a nice peace of work from the same guy who wrote the cplaylisteditor. here´s the link: http://home.roadrunner.com/~aljordan/RecursiveCueCreator.html

It worked great for me as i also ripped my cds with dbpoweramp, including covers and tags and have a directory structure that fits the cuecreator: Interpret - Album. The java script goes over ALL directories, reads the audio tags and saves one cuesheet in each directory (for each cd in my case) separately.

Cool thing, now i can play all my cds with cmd/cplay and search via genre or artist. I-pod touch over jaadu works fine! The sound is nice. I mean really nice. Nevertheless, I still use mediamonkey (with kernel plugin) most of the time. Its maybe a bit less stable and also maybe sound not quite as perfect (the differences are really subtle) but just more convenient. Automatic sample rate selection, cover-flow, MUCH better search and organization options. Thats where I have to sacrifice some quality for better usability... Sometimes if I listen to certain cds, I use cmd/cplay anyway... ;-)

Thanks guys for the links to the cue creators. That will save a huge amount of time. No reason not to give this a serious try then :)

OE

hFX Classic fanless i7 SSD > Locus Nucleus / SW Diverter HR > RWA Isabella LFP-V Pro / New Sensor Genalex Gold Lion E88CC > ALO Sennheiser HD 800 balanced[br]

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say I've moved to cPlay. Better sounding to me than the other players listed above. YMMV. Free so worth giving it a try if you're using XP.

OE