IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Yes, the mch DSDIFF would be the ones. I don't know of any FLAC or wav converters that read DST, which to me is purely an internal format (compressed for disc purposes but unreadable for us mere mortals).

Yes, the mch DSDIFF would be the ones. I don't know of any FLAC or wav converters that read DST, which to me is purely an internal format (compressed for disc purposes but unreadable for us mere mortals).

DSDIFF file can contain either raw DSD data or DST compressed data. DSDIFF is a file format, DST is a codec, so these two things have different scope. (just like AIFF-C file can contain various different compressed formats in addition to raw PCM)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

So DSDIFF DSD it is:-)

There is also the possibility DSF (DSD) (which cannot be used in foobar).

Is this pure DSD, without a container?

Actually, the foobar plugin should also support DST decoding. But since the author points out the decoding is slow and potentially buggy (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=76080&st=0&p=667057entry667057), it is probably better not to use it and let sacd-ripper do the job instead. (Does sacd-ripper use its own code, though?)

There is also the possibility DSF (DSD) (which cannot be used in foobar). Is this pure DSD, without a container?

DSF is uncompressed raw DSD by default, but the file format could technically support DST or other compression too. And it is a container just like DSDIFF.

Both can support also variety of channel layouts, other than stereo.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

As a side note, if you know how to connect to the Tor network, you can of course just go to http://wdnqg3ehh3hvalpe.onion/ instead. The reason why it is hosted on Tor is so that Sony cannot issue a DMCA notice or similar to take it off-line. (Actually they couldn't anyway, because it's not hosted in the USA, but Tor makes it even harder for them.)

If anyone else wants to mirror the files then of course you can (or better yet, compile your own and host those), but be aware of the legal risks. In an ideal world, sacd-ripper would be perfectly legal, because its dominant purpose is not piracy but legal format-shifting (which is fair use in the USA, and explicitly lawful in other countries like Australia).

However because unlike the music on a CD, the music on an SACD is encrypted, bypassing that encryption even for fair use purposes is illegal in a small number of countries that have implemented the anti-circumvention provisions of the WIPO Copyright Treaty in a particularly broad and unjust way, as the USA has through its DMCA.

Even in the USA it may still not be illegal to post the binary itself, because using sacd-ripper is useless without a copy of the PS3 root keys (which, however, are also hosted on the site above). Only in combination do the two constitute a copyright circumvention device under the DMCA. But from an abundance of caution, I would recommend that if mirroring these files only in a country where it is legal to do so.

Hi!

Now I#ve got my PS3 (in working order, playing SACDs, Firmware 2.3), I will need some help to get that baby running OtherOS.

I copied the OtherOS "CFW355-OTHEROS++.pup" file as discribed to an usb thumb drive (stick), and renamed it to "PS3UPDAT.PUP".

I also got the needed "PS3keys", and copied these to the root of the usb/thumb-drive. And I got the "sacd-ripper.geohot.pkg" too, and moved it to the root of the usb/thumbdrive too.

I was able to start the update process, but got stucked on a screen saying (something like):

Press the PS key

(use wireless controller)

I don't have a wireless controller at hand (only usb ones and a keyboard).

Any hints how to proceed?

Thanks

(if you may prefer PM, ..)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Hi lich000king!

Thanks for your fast reply!

Unfortunately, my controller(s) don't have an explicit "PS(3)" button.

Maybe I should try my USB keyboard instead.

Will see ...

Other suggestions always welcomed!

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

If you have a windows keyboard, you should try the windows key. It seems to have the same functionality as the PS button (though with the unfortunate side effect of disabling the keyboard).

With the exception of the PS key, a keyboard can also be used to do everything necessary to rip SACD. The relevant keys are: Enter, Esc, F1 and arrow keys.

If somebody finds a way to trigger the PS button by keyboard (without disabling the keyboard at the same time), please enlighten me!

Oh boy, ...

I think I've succeeded installing the "OtherOS" now (I detached and re-attached one of the controllers and was able to use my keyboard to carry on).

Installed SACD-Ripper too.

Now I will trying to extract some files ...

Will keep you postet!

Thanks so far!

I#ve got SACD-Ripper programm running!

Fine!

It even is currently ripping my first ISO onto a FAT32 harddisk connected to the PS3.

Fine too ...

But, how could I advice the Ripper to extract single DFF files instead of the ISO?

And, how to extract from the ISO after it has been ripped to harddisc, .. ahhh uhhhhm.

Think I will contact Mr. Wicked for this, too.

Thanks again, This IS very promising!

Great, then you should be all set!

Just remember it's still alpha. The results are not reliable yet.

If you find any bugs, you should report them in the bug tracker on google code.

On another note:

It is also possible to extract tracks without decoding DST (i.e. chosse DSDIFF (DST)). The resulting .dff can also be decoded by the foobar plugin. But, as the author says, the decoder is extremely slow. Conversion to flac in foobar takes about a factor of 50 longer with DST than without, while extraction through sacd-ripper including DST decoding only takes about a factor 2.5 longer.

Hi lich000king!

Thanks for your guidance!

For converting I would prefer Audiogate or Saracon instead of Foobar.

But that would be the next step.

First I try to get single Tracks of the Disc with the SACD-Ripper.

Of course, on a later state I will do some backups (*.ISO) for security reasons of my rare SACDs.

Thanks again, and keep us informed of your findings!

Cheers Ted!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Will try ASAP and report back.

Man, this is really EXCITING! ;-I

Ted,

thanks so much for your tip!

That made it!

After getting how this works, I must say this is really easy.

Will rip one more SACD (Roxy Music - Avalon) to my harddrive and then connect it to my Windows machine ...

Keep you postet!

Hi lich000king!

Yes, got arround it.

Thanks very much for your help!

Currently I'm not sure which convertor I should use for stereo files, Saracon, which does apply a quite steep filter at - imo - a bit to low frequency, or Audiogate, where even the 176,4khz/24Bit conversion makes sense (Saracon cuts of way to low - see "Rolling Stones at HDTracks" ...)

For 5.1 surround I will simply use Saracon, because I tend to leave these at 88,2khz/24Bit for now.

Will have some fun this evening in evaluating my preferences ...

Cheers

Antelope Gold DAC which does up to 24/384k and Saracon conversions at 24/352 look identical to their 24/96 conversions due to the very very steep (starting at 25k) digital filter roll off. I thought my conversions of Sara K.-Made In The Shade were sublime at 24/352k (and they are) but no way will I waste that much disc space if the reset is just, um, space.