IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

I have one that gathers dust most of the time. :) About once a month I dust it off and rip one or two SACDs. I mistakenly bought an Oppo 203 with the notion that I could also use it for ripping BUT... So the PS3 stays and sees light duty from time to time. 

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Hello,

I bought a PS3 cech04 a while ago on ebay that came with CFW 3.55 (OtherOS I believe) and SACD Ripper 0.37 installed already. I ripped just one SACD for testing and since have used it as a Player for CD, DVD and SACD and, after upgrading to REBUG 4.81, for BD. SACD Ripper didn't work anymore and I just recently reinstalled SACD Ripper 0.38 again.

Ripping works fine, but I get an error message 80029bc1 when trying to play the same SACD. What may be the cause of this? I googled only a few topics where the error was mentioned, twice in this thread, but none got any helpful response, if at all.

So has anyone come across this error or any advice?

So, Tigerfox, you had a working machine with a working version of SACD Ripper (which, as you know, is RARE as a Snow Leopard), but then you went (against all good judgement) and installed a version of REBUG, knowing (I assume) that you were taking a HUGE risk? Please explain further; I am DYING to hear your reasoning on that move. I guess you had NO other options for BD (like, say, a $30 standalone Blu-ray player?

1. A PS3 CECH04 with working SACD Ripper isn't that rare here in Germany.

2. I knew CFW was necessary for using SACR Ripper and REBUG is CFW.

3. I don't have a BD-Player and don't want a cheap one. Plus I wanted to use the PS3 standing around at least for something else.

4. SACD Ripper STILL WORKS perfectly fine!

5. Only thing not working is playback of SACDs.

So instead of lecturing me how about a constructive idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I have a PS3 with 3.55 Firmware available in the UK. This unit was unopened before I had a fan mod and new thermal paste operation done to keep it cooler and avoid YLOD.  including OtherOS++, and v0.37 SACD ripping software, HDMI cable and controller.

Never froze, never had any other issues. Only ripped about 20 SACD's with it, decided that my ears are too badly damaged/old to hear the difference, so I'm sticking with CD.

Pick up in Bucks, or send well packaged with a courier at purchasers costs. PM me for pricing.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am more or less new with the PS3 but now I got an old fat lady for free;)

so I am trying serveral possibilities. Currently I have an problem and one question.

After a while doing nothing special with the PS3, just looking around within the system it gets that worm,

that I am forced to shutdown to prevent overheating. Any advise how to this, might it be changing something at the cooling system (soft/hard) or exchanging termal paste at the cpu? (maybe a howto or video available).

Secondly there is an older SACD ripp version installed, how can I replace this one with a never version 0.38 or never and where to get?

Thanks in advance for your support.

49 minutes ago, canyonwalker said:

Hi, I am more or less new with the PS3 but now I got an old fat lady for free;)

so I am trying serveral possibilities. Currently I have an problem and one question.

After a while doing nothing special with the PS3, just looking around within the system it gets that worm,

that I am forced to shutdown to prevent overheating. Any advise how to this, might it be changing something at the cooling system (soft/hard) or exchanging termal paste at the cpu? (maybe a howto or video available).

Secondly there is an older SACD ripp version installed, how can I replace this one with a never version 0.38 or never and where to get?

Thanks in advance for your support.

I would install an app called Control Fan Utility.  This app allows you to turn up the fan speed of your PS3, so it'll run much cooler.  As far as the sacd ripper version, I would only replace it with newer version if you have an issue ripping one of your sacd's.

• 6 months later...

OK.  This is a little embarrassing but I need help with ripping SACD from a PS3 with a MacBookPro.  

Here's the problem.  I can rip from my PS3s with my PC.  However, I cannot rip from them with the Mac.

Using the stock-standard 3 files from Sonore and opening  ISO2DSD in the Mac, it finds the PS3 at the expected address and begins the process by listing all the tracks in the ISO and seems to begin the rip.  Then, it just stops and hangs without getting any data into the ISO file it has opened.  That's it.

I am not a Mac person so what am I missing?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Kal, I tried (briefly) with my Mac, but quickly gave up. I just rip ISOs to a USB stick on the PS3, then copy the ISOs to my Mac. From there, the Sonore tools work as expected to unpack the ISOs. 

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

16 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

Kal, I tried (briefly) with my Mac, but quickly gave up. I just rip ISOs to a USB stick on the PS3, then copy the ISOs to my Mac. From there, the Sonore tools work as expected to unpack the ISOs. 

Thanks but the problem I have with that is that many of the ISOs are too large for the size of USB stick that the PS3 will support and concatenating the partials is a big pain.  Also, I had used this same Mac for ripping from an Oppo without problems.

Kal Rubinson

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Thanks but the problem I have with that is that many of the ISOs are too large for the size of USB stick that the PS3 will support and concatenating the partials is a big pain.  Also, I had used this same Mac for ripping from an Oppo without problems.

Yup, I agree, and I hope someone has a solution.

In the meantime, if helpful as a work around to the work around, there is a Mac app called Split & Concat.app   It makes it painless to concatenate files (drop the first file on the app, and it automatically finds the other pieces and cat's them together)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Thanks, again.  However, I am trying to set this up for someone with even fewer Mac skills than I have and I am gifting him the PS3.  The added concatenation step would be the end of the project.  It is bad enough that I am instructing him to first rip the ISO and, afterwards, extract the DSF.

If this was for my use, I'd simply do with my PCs and my Oppos.  

Kal Rubinson

On 9/16/2019 at 11:11 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

Using the stock-standard 3 files from Sonore and opening  ISO2DSD in the Mac, it finds the PS3 at the expected address and begins the process by listing all the tracks in the ISO and seems to begin the rip.  Then, it just stops and hangs without getting any data into the ISO file it has opened.  That's it.

I am not a Mac person so what am I missing?

Dear Kal

I was previously using the PS3+Mac setup (now switched to Oppo+Mac)

I believe there could sometimes be filename problems?

I would check another SACD and another destination directory

Does the log show anything?  Perhaps check the Console in Terminal for clues?

Good luck, John

7 hours ago, johnbshk said:

I believe there could sometimes be filename problems?

I would check another SACD and another destination directory

Does the log show anything?  Perhaps check the Console in Terminal for clues?

No filename issues and I tried several SACDs as well as 3 different directories.  No log data. in Terminal.

OK:  This may be a clue.  If I switch to File Input mode, the GUI does not see any of the ISOs nor the subdirectories.

Kal Rubinson

18 minutes ago, rando said:

W7 with all the little helper programs to make the environment similar to iOS of that period even slightly a possibility?  

I do that with a MacMini but, in this case, it is not a possibility since the intended recipient of the PS3 would not be able to handle it.

20 minutes ago, rando said:

I understand what your situation is, even with such a direct path in a one off use like this it has a very slim chance of success, but it hadn't been mentioned.  :)

Thanks for the candor.  I guess I will have to look at a different solution for him.

Kal Rubinson

Just wanted to remind anyone who may be inclined to have someone else do this for them...there are SACD ripping services out there including mine:

www.goldeneardigital.com

anyone who has used my service lately knows it has been a little slow, but I get em done! Also I just invested in 2 new machines to replace one that died, so my throughput will be quite a bit faster moving forward as I now have 3 machines and a streamlined workflow.

@Kal Rubinson maybe your buddy is a candidate for this?

This post is not at all meant to discourage the DIY spirit of this thread. Just leaving this here in case someone finds it useful.

cheers!

I don't understand all these problems to do SACD-Rip, I use an old PS3 and everything works perfectly. If you have problems ripping, I can ripping free, of course you pay the shipping cost. Then I can make some DSD corrections, I have a Merging Pyramix Pro workstation, but for a eventual remastering that is not free, it has to be evaluated. Ad always valid

Thanks.  I can rip them myself as I have already done thousands.  What I am trying to do is to give a friend the facility to do it himself but his constraints are (1) it must be on a Mac (no Win, no Linux) (2) it must work on a PS3 which I am gifting him (3) he has quite minimal computer skills and (4) he is about 2K miles from me.  

If he had a PC, no problem.

If he had an Oppo, no problem.

I am about to give up unless I come up with something in the next day or two.

Kal Rubinson

I have 3 retired PS3's - 1 of them has YLOD, the other 2 were just getting a little long in the tooth. Sometimes you have to reboot them several times to get them to recognize SACDs (the optical drive only picks up the hybrid layer, sometimes). 

If anyone is interested in trying to refurbish them, they are yours for the cost of shipping alone. PM me if interested. 

1 hour ago, AriMargolis said:

If anyone is interested in trying to refurbish them, they are yours for the cost of shipping alone. PM me if interested. 

I have made offers to give away my two PS3, both of which are working  perfectly at the moment.  This friend took me up on one.  Anyone who wants the other, let me know.  Local P/U in NYC only.

Kal Rubinson