IGNORED

A couple of weeks with the AVI ADM 9'1s :-)

Hi folks, Chris, Matt and all - well after a couple of weeks of running in on all manner of sources from SqueezeBox internet radio to MacBook 24/96 optical out I reckon its time I offered up my tuppence worth concerning just what I think of these AVI ADM 9.1's! First up I will paste a link to the previous thread we were chewing over just in case anyone might have been following that one.... http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/945 - hope that formats ok?

Ok, in a word - they are stunning!

I am not one for hyperbole or fan posting, in fact I tend to avoid posting to forums, except to ask for advice or for reading as a great source of info - which this one most definitely is :-) I have sadly been a hi-fi nut and audiophile for nigh on 40 years although I was only 15 when the journey began. My employer let me help him change the valves in his "funky" (for the time!) beige and orange Quad amp and drag a huge pair of Tannoy Westminsters into the little electrical shop he ran so we could put them in the window for sale! But when he played Wagner's Tannhäuser from his reel to reel Revox tape machine through this set-up to check it all out - I was hooked - and have been ever since! Still envy that system! Now I am feeding a pair of active speakers from a MacBook - how times change!

Anyway, thankfully the 9.1's are considerably smaller than the Tannoys - and initially they sounded just that, bit small, bit boxed-in. I compared with my existing system and, yep, something was missing - the Ruarks had depth and width. So, knowing from experience nothing sounds good straight from the factory I let them breath and warm and loosen up without really paying much attention to what was going on in my listening room. I haven't had them playing solidly for weeks, just when I was about or in the background whilst working - probably 20-30 hours all told?

Then a few days ago I passed the door to make a coffee and Last.Fm was playing some alternative stuff I hadn't heard and I just had to go in, turn them up and have a listen. Sometimes, you know, 128bit internet streams can blow you away, and this certainly did! So over the last few nights and with a few friends during the day we have been listening proper - and all I can say is, yes, my Meridian set-up is on the market and no, this is not because it is in any way poor or out of date or lacking, it's brilliant - but the 9.1's are simply revelatory. My friend Mark came round and I put on Abdullah Ibrahim playing African Marketplace. With two bodies in the room you can turn the sound up a bit can't you, well with the 9.1's at 'live' levels the amazing wind instruments and African drums were incredible! I have heard this album on loads of systems, in hi-fi stores when demoing stuff and several of my own set-ups - but never like this - "live", is the only word I can use really. Fast, loud, not shouting - just instruments and voices, in the room with you!

Turning to some less acoustic material and an obscure track from Sheryl Crow's Globe Sessions called Crash and Burn did exactly that - it was raucous, out of tune radio stations, static noise and then her clear voice and acoustic guitar wove in just as I presume it was intended, with reverb pedal on electric guitar to one side well pushed down - I must have heard this track lots of times and probably skipped it as not my scene, but on the AVI's I just had to listen. In amongst all the multi-tracking stuff little taps on drum skins were easily recognisable, and there was no sense of being bass light or boxed in, it was a heavy weighty sound.

And on it goes, I am doing that thing we do when a new piece of kit arrives and listening to stuff I haven't heard for years just to see what they do. One word of warning though, my friend Mark is really into ska and reggae and some of those 50' and 60's recordings were full of distortion and with lots of high energy high frequencies - one or two tracks from the Island box sets sounded truly awful! But only one or two, and they then they probably always did - you need a boom box on your shoulder or a car radio to bring out the best in those! In comparison some old two track 50/60's blues sounded beautifully sweet and live.

What you see is what you get with these speakers, well this 'system' really as there isn't much else you need other than a digital source. If you don't want to hear the production, then best spend thousands (as I have!) on tuning and tweaking that sound you prefer that some dealers would have you believe is the truth. I am sure there are other systems out there that can deliver this level of reality, particularly in the pro end of things - but as one of my friends (who has a very nice mid level hi-fi at home) commented after listening to one track "Tell me they cost you £5k won't you, otherwise I am seriousl p***ed off!" :-)

Tim.

Qobuz -> Auralic Aries Mini -> Chord Mojo DAC -> Heed Obelisk SI -> Mark Audio Pluvia 11 Custom Built  Mass Loaded Transmission Line Speakers

It's nice to see more positive reviews.

What finish did you get?

They do easily compete up to £5k, like me and many others are discovering.

Playing live stuff at volume certainly is a strength of theirs but they are no "one trick pony" - they do it all really.

Darren

I'm so pleased you're enjoying your experience with the AMD9.1's.

One thing I can't resist is turning them up to 'live' levels whenever I have the opporunity, enjoying the amazing level of control they have and that neutral, real sound never gets tiring. And I also agree that they have a sense of weight - the right sense of weight about them.

I was listening quite late last night - when I always seem to hear more. Maybe it's me, maybe the mains supply really is cleaner (hmmm - not sure I believe that stuff) but even at relatively quiet levels I could hear all the intricate details of the music I was listening too.

Has Ashley tempted you with the subwoofer yet ? ... ... .

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

I think they play loudly and clearly because of the efficiency of the active system.

The sonic character does not change with volume, which is something I notice with modest amps w/ passive speakers.

I have a subwoofer now but it's not mandatory. Give yourself some time to get used to them.

Low level listening is very clear too. This is an area of improvement I found between the 9 and 9.1 - lower noise floor.

Glad to hear that someone else is enjoying the 9.1s. I have had mine for almost a month after upgrading from the 9s and they still continue to amaze me. I do not recommend you listen to the sub unless you are ready to spend the money. While it is not mandatory it brings the 9.1s into serious three way floor standing territory. My dealer had one setup when I picked up my 9.1s and I am now figuring out what I can sell to get a sub.

ADM9.1s ,2.0 Ghz Mac Mini, Panasonic BD-35 blu-ray player.

Hi Folks thanks for reading - wondered if I had taken up too much forum space (used to be a freelance reviewer for PC mags for years so can't stop once I start - have to get to 1500 words otherwise didn't earn enough!! :-)

When I get my new stands Darren I shall do some pics as we might as well have some fun until the credit card statement arrives!!! :-) Actually I am sure it was your videos on YouTube that got me into all this properly I think - sure it was you who demonstrated SqueezeBox/Mac Mini/MacBook - oh and the remote app on the iPod Touch/iPhone - and I just had to find out what those sexy looking speakers were!

Although the upgrade route is limited, like I say I have found some lovely stands (Apollo ones are fine, but I wanted something a bit more substantial) from B&W - they are matched to the 700 series but the top plate has recently been changed to accommodate other small speakers - have a look at http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display.aspx?infid=1103&sc=hf the ADM's should look great on top of these!

Funny you should mention the mains Matt, I have a Russ Andrews power block and the Kimber Power Kords so will try these when I disconnect my existing system, they definitely lifted the Meridian setup to after midnight listening experience all through the day. I think it depends on how noisy your mains is, some people notice hardly any improvement and others say it is night and day (pun intended!).

Thanks for kind words Chris, there are some good ears on this site I have noticed over the last few months I have been following your server articles, lot of common sense spoken - I love all the smoke and mirrors and snake oil of hi-fi - but you have to know when to let our ears do the talking. No names no pack drill, but I visited a local hi-fi dealer to order these stands (like to support the shop if I can these are hard times) and there was about £15k worth of stuff doing it's thing in the demo room - sounded soft, lumpy and heavy - wasn't impressed! Didn't mention the AVI's - wouldn't want to miss out on being the local ADM reseller!!!! :-)

Tim.

Tim.

Qobuz -> Auralic Aries Mini -> Chord Mojo DAC -> Heed Obelisk SI -> Mark Audio Pluvia 11 Custom Built  Mass Loaded Transmission Line Speakers

Hi,

I know those stands as I work for a B&W dealer. They're quite solid and should be good for hiding the cables. I will change my stands one day, as I prefer the look of them on black stands.

My YouTube videos are amateur nonsense but I was trying to get across to people the interfaces, so hopefully it was of some assistance.

You are too modest - those videos have inspired loads of people to have fun with their hobby - you were enjoying the journey and it came across - mind you I did wonder how you managed to have all that kit in one room - what did you end up keeping in the end!! When I visited Ashley he was also well into the technology, I was playing with the Apple TV and he was answering emails on his iPod Touch/iPhone - when us two get to be old folk in a home it better have wi-fi... :-)

Tim.

Tim.

Thought you might like to check out the new B&W stands - hope these post all ok...most of the kit on the rack is not doing anything except looking cool until it finds a new home! Still using the SqueezeBox because my MacBook hasn't decided yet whether it prefers my lap or the rack...moving in a couple of months so might get a Mac Mini to feed my main living room screen, then I can ethernet it to the server and use optical directly to the ADM's plus HDMI/DVI to the TV and get into ripping some movies as well!!?? Have to catch up with Ashley on the 'utilising technology' front!! :-)

3015527826_5839d4f0ff.jpg

3015528084_3b09fc4d15.jpg

Enjoy...

Tim.

Tim.

Hi Darren - my 508.24 CD player was eBayed a couple if years ago and the guy absolutely loves it! I found a 566.24 DAC to replace it (again on eBay), and this was to be fed from my then new SqueezeBox 2. I was so amazed how interesting the SB sounded and although the 508 was more fluid and subtle I felt in the interests of investing in the future I should start playing with this 'digital jukebox' idea. I am a great believer in letting someone have the benefit of your gear when you move onto something new, but like you I shall likely miss the Meridian kit when if goes to a good home!

When I eventually decided that Slimserver/SqueezeCentre just wasn't going to be able to compete with iTunes for quick and easy access to my library (I was listening more on the PC speakers than the hi-fi and when people came round they found the interface, shall we say, less than intuitive - mostly because it was so slow!). I started to wonder why I just didn't plug the PC into my hi-fi - which has led me here via a USB DAC in a wire, through an external soundcard I borrowed, to trying a PS Audio DAC also borrowed - to optical out on the MacBook (and via Airport Express when it just has to sit on my lap for some surfing and answering emails!).

Of course I came from the 'digital is noisy' audiophile camp, so putting a computer in the listening room was sacrilege - but to be honest, after plenty of testing, I could barely tell the difference between the digital sources I have tried through my Meridian gear. Ok, yes, if you try real hard, and look for the differences you might attribute something to one and something else to another - but with blind testing and instant switching between two sources (such as the PS Audio DAC from my laptop and the SB3 though the Meridian DAC) - the nuances are all but indistinguishable to my old audiophile ears. Now I had realised some while ago that the Ruarks could probably be improved upon, and changing speakers on the other hand (I tried several including the excellent Kudos range - big and small!) made a huge difference - night and day. Trying more sophisticated speakers also opened my ears to the treble I wasn't getting with the Ruarks - I realised the top end was coloured and harsh when driven hard.

I came across the ADM's purely by accident whilst perusing the articles here and somehow ending up on YouTube! I initially thought they were desktop active speakers for casual listening on your PC (I think the pic on the AVI website of them either side of an iMac might have helped with that assumption!) but reading further obviously put them in the frame for a proper listen...the rest his history as they say. So far anyway... I don't think the hi-fi bug ever goes away, nor would I want it to... ;-)

Tim.

Tim.

Yes main system.

Went to AVI on Friday and had a great time.

Ashley and Martin were true gents.

Nothing was too much trouble.

Got a real kick out of actually watching speakers being assembled :)

Set them up on Saturday and then spent a few hours listening.

Spent a bit more time on Sunday.

Not really had enough time with them yet to fully appraise but intitial impressions are good.

Played some of my usual test tracks and couple of things really stood out. Need to do some more listening.......

Heard the sub at Ashleys and it really filled out the bottom end seamlessly.

IMHO its requirement is room dependant though. Not sure it would be necessary for smaller rooms.

• 4 weeks later...