IGNORED

Do i need a DAC

only if its a better DAC than the Cirrus Logic.....but that's a bit too simple. Modern DACs really differentiate themselves on two levels (neither of which is the DAC chip itself IMO). One is the sophistication and quality of the analog stage after the chip, which includes a quiet powerful stable power supply. The other is the flexibility of its features, such as the ability to handle higher sample rates or ability to switch among multiple inputs....some even run hot enough and have volume controls to double as all-digital preamps.

It would be great to know three things about your setup:

1) what is the present Emu DAC card plugged into; i.e what is your system like?

2) what type of music or sound do you go for?

3) what is your budget?

Emu is connected pci to computer and there is a breakout box. Running xp. I listen to anything from gentle folk stuff to hair metal. I like the high res stuff from hd tracks at the moment.£500 budget for dac as my amp and speakers are old but pretty good.

Howdy,

Well, to state the obvious, if you are delighted with the sound of your current playback system, you may be better off allocating discretionary funds towards purchasing more great music. :)

Over the past couple of years, I was pretty happy with the sound of my Creative E-MU 0404 USB audio interface with upgraded power supply (pretty amazing sound quality and functionality for less than $200 USD), but at times the presentation of upper mids and treble left me wanting. So, once I had saved up a bit, I went DAC shopping. As my signature shows, I recently started using a Wyred 4 Sound DAC, and the improvement in soundstage and treble presentation has been dramatic while still preserving what I loved from the old pro audio interface (which I now just use for recording and portable playback).

Since adding the W4S DAC, I have renewed my subscription with the B&W Society of Sound, joined Audio Fidelity's club and started buying more DVD-Audio discs from Amazon, etc.

As audiophiles, many of us go through phases where we're not quite happy with what we're hearing through our playback systems (sometimes after hearing a really great setup elsewhere). During those times, we swap things out until we get back to a place where we consistently enjoy what we're hearing. If we are successful, it's back to the music. Otherwise, we move on to another hobby for a while.

If you're happy with what you're hearing, you don't need a new DAC...you just need more music. Otherwise, there are lots of excellent DACs out there in the $1k +/- range that would likely be a noticeable improvement over what you are using today. Borrow or buy a couple and give them a try!

-- David

I might just upgrade my speakers and amp and see how that goes. Thanks for the info guys. As for buying more music i have been off work for a few weeks and have spent the time ripping my cd collection to a couple of 2 tb hard drives and 2 weeks in and there is still a lot to go.