IGNORED

iTunes + Audiophile + What is Apple Up To? (RUMOR ONLY AT THIS TIME)

I heard just a few minutes ago from a friend of mine who is inside Apple that a new directive in Apple just came down. I mean as in, just came down at a early morning meeting.

The gist of what I was just told is:

iTunes is going to be the best music player in the world in it's next major release, period. They are being directed to add numerous features. 32/384K playback *and* streaming, as well as automatic sample rate / bit depth adjustments, some kind of new audio subsystem, and more. A lot of stuff with video too. Support for new hardware too.

I trust my friend a lot. But, I wondered if anyone else has heard anything that might back up this rumor?

*** Please note - this is a RUMOR not fact. My friend could have misunderstand what she was told, or it could be a false rumor. ***

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

... leads me to the conclusion that Apple will, sooner than later, leap forward into better computer based audio features and SQ. Just adding SR switching and other features to the existing iTunes platform would improve it.

Patience ...

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

Automatic SR switching in Windows is trivial. All they have to do is allow WASAPI exclusive mode. All other applications can do it.

I feel they don't do it because it can become a support issue nightmare; thus ease of use is much, much more important than features (catering to audiophiles)

The current version of iTunes is the best for the general consumer. Have you tried Home Sharing?

www.hifiduino.wordpress.com

Oh yes- we use Home Sharing extensively. :)

I think the objection Apple has always had to SR switching has to do with screwing up sound for the rest of the applications, since the vast majority of Macs share a single sound interface for everything. Same things with PCs.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

256 kbps AAC is what is actually sold on iTunes.

And Steve probably doesn't think it is CD quality; he has just instructed his marketing department to make other people think that.

And I have to think that if Apple is upgrading the HR capabilities of iTunes, they must have plans in the works to make the whole music streaming pathway HR, including the tracks they sell through iTunes.

320KBS is a MP3 format, and the iTunes store doesn't sell that. 256kbs AAC is referred to as "better quality" or "high quality" - which is true in comparison to 128kbs AAC. :)

I think the holdup on 16/44.1K and higher is more the new data centers coming on line and licensing with the record companies.

Opinion though, nothing substantial to point to and validate that opinion.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

All very nice'n'all, but what I personally HATE about iTunes, and why I use J River MC, is that their database functions SUCK. Unless they plan to make significant improvements to their database management - for example to appeal to classical music enthusiasts - then it will only be a job half done.

I'll admit it: I'm an iTunes fan. It's what's made moving to another player very difficult and why I still use Amarra Mini exclusively. iTunes was out there so long ago that I can no longer remember playing music back off the computer without it. To me, its the standard. If Apple chooses to consume the audiophile player market by building all those features into their platform, I for one would be terrifically pleased. Especially if that means they'll give the OS a once-over at the same time and "work it all out". Things like integer mode and hog mode would be very welcome to see in iTunes.

... I have personally heard no meaningful difference between iTunes and Decibel or Pure Music on my system. I don't know whether that's a function of my system, my hearing, or ??? Anyway, as Scot says, if Apple would simply incorporate features, such as auto-SR switching, into iTunes, I would be more than happy.

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"