IGNORED

AIF format issues in iTunes and Media Monkey

sarfania

I am a PC user with windows Vista. I currently use iTunes and as of a short while ago, Monkey's Audio to listen to music. I like iTunes for ease of use but recently discovered that Monkey's Audio sound better on my system.

I recently got a couple of 24bit 96 KHz cds and tried to import them to iTunes and I found out that when converting to AIF the music is converted to 16 bit and 44.1 KHz. I had no problems with ALAC and 24-96 was maintained. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

In Monkey's I use the iTunes library to access my music. I found out that I am not able to play AIF format. I have no issues with ALAC format and they play just fine. I looked for the proper codec but I was not able to find one that works. Any guidance is appreciated.

Shanam

Hi Shanam - I'm a little bit confused, but that certainly shouldn't surprise anyone :-) You said you got a couple 24/96 CDs. Can you be more specific? CDs are limited to 16/44.1.

All high resolution conversions to AIFF within iTunes will be down sampled to 16/44.1. The AIFF converter doesn't support anything greater. But iTunes will play up to 24/192 without an issue.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Sorry for confusing everyone, these are not CDs; these are 24/96 vinyl rips of good quality recordings that a friend did so we can compare the end results with off the shelf CDs using our equipment. When I tried adding them to my iTunes library I noticed that it was down sampled when I used AIFF format but ALAC did not down sample. Thanks to Chris, I now understand that AIFF does not support anything greater than 16/44.1.

FWIW, even though I do not have the equipment to play back 24/96 resolution the tracks coverted from vinyl do sound nicer to me.

My other question was can Monkey's Audio play AIFF?

Shahnam

Sorry for confusing everyone, these are not CDs; these are 24/96 vinyl rips of good quality recordings that a friend did so we can compare the end results with off the shelf CDs using our equipment. When I tried adding them to my iTunes library I noticed that it was down sampled when I used AIFF format but ALAC did not down sample. Thanks to Chris, I now understand that AIFF does not support anything greater than 16/44.1.

FWIW, even though I do not have the equipment to play back 24/96 resolution the tracks coverted from vinyl do sound nicer to me.

My other question was can Monkey's Audio play AIFF?

Shahnam

Switch to using J. River Media Center!

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

• 10 months later...

iTunes will play 24/192, however the digital output on the Mac is limited to 24/96. If you want higher resolution you'll need a different interface (i.e. M-Audio ProFire 610, FireFace 400, Weiss DAC2 or AFI1, etc.)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 year later...

I use xld to convert my 24/192 flac to aiff with no down sample occur, but am using a Mac that's the only app that can convert high res audio without being down sampled. There is also max which probably could do the same but I haven't try it out yet. With that said, since am not on windows the only program I could think of is dbpoweramp which could do what xld does. I'm just guessing though not if it down sampled once converted? Anyways just give it a try.... Oh one more thing, I was able to transfer 24/48 aiff to my iPod classic 160gb 2011 and play them fine. I was also able to play 24/192 aiff on iTunes it sounded amazing, I did check on the file to make sure it wasn't down sampled and it didn't. 24/48 n 24/192 aiff are showing up as is :D

I have used XLD in the past but I currently use MAX. Are you saying that when I convert 24/96 downloaded FLAC files to, in my case, Apple Lossless they are being downsampled?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

No they won't be down sample, they will just be the same @ 24/96 alac because I've done so with some of my 24/96 flac files. After converting your flac files import it into iTunes, right click on it and go to info you'll will see that your alac are the same as your flac files.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacPro 5.1/ [email protected]/ 16gb ram@1333mhz/ 1tb hard drive/ ATI 5770/ LG 10x blu ray writer/reader/ razer ironclad gaming mouse/ Bose companion 5/ Bose mie2i

iPhone 4 32gb black 2011

iPod classic 160gb black 2011

Canon eos rebel t1i