IGNORED

iTunes volume control - Limited Range - Why? Can it be fixed?

hdomke

I don’t believe you want to use the iTunes volume control to control your stereo. The iTunes volume control should be set to max and then adjust using your stereo controls. The reason, as I understand and read, is that when adjusting the volume control using iTunes below max you are getting less than bit perfect production and introducing distortion. I am a little uncertain about the technical accuracy of my description and maybe someone else can correct me if wrong but I know that I have read this numerous times from numerous sources including manufacturers of DACs and software for music playback.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

In the olden days of iTunes, it would only output 16 bits, which did create a problem. Adjusting the volume in iTunes would take you pretty far away from bit perfect. The output from a Mac has been 24 bits for a while (check Audio MIDI Setup), so adjusting the volume in iTunes -- while rendering it bit imperfect -- no longer affects sound quality in any significant way.

I have no idea what the Windows world does.

That said, I prefer to adjust the volume using my standard remote control, as that avoids any sudden changes in volume when I switch inputs (from Mac to DVD or TV).