IGNORED

How to make expensive headphones last?

Having recently purchased the fantasmic Sennheiser HD800 headphones for a scary amount of money, I find myself wondering how best to keep them in good shape for many years.

The obvious things are to keep them away from pets and kids. I've got those two well in hand.

I simply don't want to take up the room in my home-office with the coffin-like fancy box they came in, and I don't really think between-use storage will be a problem for me (I guess time will tell). Maybe some of you have some stories along this line that will change my mind and cause me to heft that over-done box back out of the back of the closet, idunno.

Beyond that, can those of you with some experience in this area provide some tips?

Tell us the unexpected things that have "trashed" a good set of cans.

Tell us some habits or procedures you've found helpful to keep them in good shape.

thanks!

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

Glad I've managed to lighten the mood around this joint.

Resist the temptation to bring them on airplanes.

Especially if you have the isle seat. There is always someone trying to rip out the cord. You also run the risk of someone swiping them, or forgetting them, or having homeland security confiscate them, or having the jack get damaged when interfacing with the airplane plug-in hole.

If you dont have to worry about pets and kids, just use a headphone stand. Looks decent and there are nice looking wood ones all the way to inexpensive banana stands. The good thing about the hd800 is that if you do mess up the cord, it is easy to replace it since it uses connectors to attach to the headphone. The only thing you need to worry about is dropping them.

Imac > Offramp4 > Ayon Skylla > Eddie Current B.A./Stax 717 > LCD-3/SR007 mk1

Re headphone stands, Sennheiser themself make a nifty device (HH10 Headphone holder)which clamps onto shelves and keeps the 'phones handy but out of the way. A friend of mine uses a glass head for his AKGs which is a somewhat more stylish approach...

regards,

Giles

I am just going out for a while, I may be some time...

Is there something more to this than the obvious?

Clearly one doesn't want to drop something that costs that much...but is there something particularly delicate with expensive headphones in general, or perhaps with this particular model that I haven't heard about?

thanks.

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

That's what my old Etymotics are for from here on out. I had forgotten I had them. Pulled them out the other day and ordered some simpler rubber things for them (had the custom fit nonsense in the beginning). I still hate having anything crammed in my ears, but they do sound really good.

They are also very portable, and block sound in both directions, which makes them almost ideal for the airplane...if only they didn't have to be crammed in the ears.

Don't forget fish. Definitely keep your cans away from your fish.

No really, the HH10 is a nice cheap solution. I use two of them. I had considered the whole mannequin head thing but never could pull the trigger.

Someone makes really nice bent plywood holders as well but they're a little steep ($150 I think) for what they are in my opinion.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

At least, it is my nemesis when it comes to portable electronics.

Only one set of headphones had to be retired because of liquid though, and that involved a really beautiful lady airline hostess, a foul can of tomato juice, and wind shear...

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Greetings all,

Here's an interesting tip from one of the posters over on the Head-Fi forum site for an inexpensive (as in approximately $10) headphone stand:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523324/new-headphone-stand

Here's the link to the page on the Home Depot online store website where you can order this item:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh6/R-100387753/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Regards,

Mister Wednesday

I keep mine in the coffin box at all times when I'm not using them. That way they gather no dust. Also, by being out of sight they are firmly out of (my daughter's) mind.

She (whom I love dearly it goes without saying) when a bit younger bent back the headband on my HD650s snapping them into two pieces.

hFX Classic fanless i7 SSD > Locus Nucleus / SW Diverter HR > RWA Isabella LFP-V Pro / New Sensor Genalex Gold Lion E88CC > ALO Sennheiser HD 800 balanced[br]

"She (whom I love dearly it goes without saying) when a bit younger bent back the headband on my HD650s snapping them into two pieces."

Is this how you managed to "justify" the purchase of the HD 800's?

If so, "She" did you a favour. Maybe the next "justification" will be for a pair of Stax Omegas!

I recommend keeping the most expensive you have in a safe place. Somewhere where common sense will not fail. Hidden away in a special place.

I also have much cheaper headphones (of the same brand), that I use all the time anytime I go out, even to visit a friend.

--[br]tom[br]dell - mediamonkey - grado