IGNORED

Too Much Reboot

I love the convenience and sound of computer-based audio. One annoyance, however, is that my system often requires a reboot to play in between listening sessions and, sometimes, if I stop iTunes for a while and return later clicking "play" does not take. The same has occurred at times with Decibel.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, is there a solution / work-around?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

The only time you should have to reboot OS X is when forced to by software updates (and then only with stuff that has kernel extensions or OS X updates). If you are having to do it more frequently, it suggests something is misbehaving. Memory leaks might be responsible. It is good to keep an eye on software that makes a lot of demands on memory.

@ Steve N. Closing iTunes each time does not correct the problem.

@ Chris C. currently, I'm using a Profire 610 firewire interface (M Audio)

@ wgscott I do not believe it's a memory issue because my Mini is used only for audio playback and Internet access when and as needed for updates, artwork, etc.

Steve

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

I may have solved this issue. When music stops the interface LED flashes looking for a signal from the computer. Rather than rebooting I simply turned the interface off and on again, and iTunes then played normally. I continue to check this, but I have a feeling this is what's been going on.

Looks like a nice feature. In the meantime, so far so good as far as my "solution." As long as I remember to turn off the interface after listening and turn it back on before commencing a new session all seems okay.