IGNORED

Can I upsample my 16/44 AIFF files to 24/96 or higher?

Hi, I have a ton of 16/44 AIFF files of my ripped CD's. Is it possible to upsample them to 24/96? Will the sound be noticeably different? How?

What's the best way to do this? I have about 100,000 AIFF files in Itunes and I'm wondering if there's an easy way to do this? If not, probably I'll just select certain albums and do them.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced DAC (under $2,000) that will automatically upsample the 16/44 AIFFs as I play them? Maybe a hardware solution would be best? Please advise. Thanks.

MG555

The best upsampler is Izotope. Izotope is expensive, but you can get just the upsampler part of Izotope in Wave Editor for $79.00:

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/waveeditor/

There is a also a batch version that will do all of your files for you.

This will beat any on-the-fly hardware upsampler. If you care about SQ, then forget hardware upsamplers. I have heard them all.

The best way to deal with jitter is to reclock, either with a reclocker or a good async USB interface rather than upsample with hardware.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Received an email/newsletter from Audiofile Engineering - Wave Editor is on sale this week for $65, rather than $79.

If you've got 100,000 AIFF files - the same company's Sample Manager might be a better option.

Btw - mentioned this company a lot in a few thread - not associated with the company, just a happy consumer.

MacBook Air 13"/2012 > ALAC> iTunes/Fidelia(Advanced/FHX) > Meridian Audio Explorer Headphone Amp/DAC > B&O Play H6 Headphones.