IGNORED

Centre Speaker for desktop iMac in surround mode

This is using the imac as a TV display sitting on the desk

I have hit a snag in hooking up an imac as a desktop surround package. (Into a home theatre receiver via toslink)

The centre speaker.

Where the heck to you put it? Anyone got some recommendations on type? I'm thinking ultra "squat"..That is something that is less than 2 1/2 inches high, so it can fit under the computer. Otherwise the only place I can figure it will go would be under the stand..which has a problem becuse it raises the viewing height of the computer too much.

Anybody got some ideas?

A work around might be to set the imacs internal speakers as the "central channel"..in a digital out setting somehow..(And save a center speaker purchase)..but I can't figure out if this is possible...

Anyone know?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

The best center speaker is always the one which matches your left and right. Which in your case sounds impossible.

If you're sitting close, have you considered setting your AV receiver to "no Center". This can often work well.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Nice one. I'll give it a try :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra