IGNORED

Focal Solo 6 Be Active Speakers?

Hi, does anyone have any experience of these active standmounts? I have seen a few glowing reviews, however they tend to be from a studio point of view. Being nearfield studio monitors, does that rule them out for normal audiophile listening?

They seem to be very well built, high spec and great value for money.

This is my first post on a forum. I have been lurking in the background for a while before registering, reading aplenty and i find its a great site, with knowledgable and decent people, so many thanks for any replies in advance.

Jim

PS Audio Quintet, PS3, Laptop/Mediamonkey/XP, PS Audio DLIII DAC, Cyrus Pre Vs2, 6 Power, B&W 685

Hi Jim - I would say welcome to Computer Audiophile, but it appears that you've been here for a while already :-)

I know I'm not answering your question, but I thought I would chime in to say that I just got in the Focal XS system and it sounds really good. I am very surprised by the sound.

Hopefully I'll get to hear the Solo 6 at Rocky Mountain Audiofest next week!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Jim,

Just like yourself I'm looking into studio gear for audiophile listening purposes. I'm no seasoned audiophile myself, but I do thouroughly enjoy top-quality sound reproduction for many years now. I have a preference for simple and elegant solutions.

I've been auditioning the Solo's big brothers, the Focal Twin 6 Be, for over a week now (side-by-side with a pair of Adams P33A). The Twin is an MDM variation of the Solo, using the same drivers and amplifiers, just one driver extra for extended lows.

I've been listening to them from a Windows Vista tablet PC through E-MU 0404 USB, RME FireFace 400 and the Weiss Minerva. Using high-quality unshielded balanced cables. Maybe I'll post some more on computeraudiophile about my experiences later...

I have to say that the focals sound wonderful overall. Truly wonderful mids and highs, voices seem to hang in the air, acoustic guitars seem to be the real thing, however the lows are just a tiny bit less defined than the Adam's. For the Solo's I would recommend auditioning them with a sub, I believe Focal also has one.

One minor point of criticism: when the Focal's do not play music, they produce a (slightly) audible hiss. I'ts very soft, however, and I can't hear it once music is played - even at low volume. I read about that in other reviews as well, so it's common.

Btw the Adam's have the same hiss, so I guess this is not uncommon in this type of active monitors. It does not matter whether I plug the speakers into earthed or unearthed mains, I think it is not related to messy power.

I would recommend you get some solo's with a sub to audition, I got mine from a store that delivers international and has a 30-day trial period on everything (www.thomann.de).

Hth, Vincent

VincentH, Pro Audio and Headphone enthousiast. Currently using Vista + Foobar + WASAPI bitperfect --> FireWire --> RME FireFace 400 DAC --> Vovox unshielded balanced XLR interconnects --> Focal Twin 6Be active monitors + Focal Sub6 active sub; Grado RA 1 + Grado RS 1; Etymotic ER-4P.

Well its pleasing to know im not the only one with an interest in these speakers. Im really only interested as active speakers seem to have benefits, passive speakers do not offer, such as no speaker cables, independent amps, clear path for the audio signal and of course the value for money aspect!

my interest in actives sparked mainly from a video interview with meridians bob stuart, which is on another site. He gives a convincing description why actives are fundementally superior. I could post the link, though im not sure of forum etiquette on posting links to other sites as yet.

I look forward to your findings chris, if you manage to audition these speakers. Also Vincents auditions have fired my interest even more. They sound great and i havent even heard them yet!!

The only other speakers that appeal to me at the moment are the Dynaudio MC15's with the MC250 sub. This combo seems to be in the same price region of the Focal Solo 6's.

Thanks, Jim

PS Audio Quintet, PS3, Laptop/Mediamonkey/XP, PS Audio DLIII DAC, Cyrus Pre Vs2, 6 Power, B&W 685

• 2 weeks later...

They can be purchased in the UK for a very reasonable 1019.99 GBP. very tempting. I wonder if Chris managed to audition these at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Im in the UK so apologies to my US counterparts, not sure what they go for over there. I currently am building a new system, probably with the mac mini as a source as it seems the simplest most cost effective route to igh end computer sound, and I wish to buy a PS Audio DL III DAC Stage 4 mod from cullen, but the import duties are an unknown quantity at the moment, cant seem to find a dealer over here who will supply the cullen modified units. I can buy standard non modified units over here, dac pre power etc for almost the same price as modded cullen units from the US, so you can see my aspirations to the modified units!! and you guys make them sound like they are the ones to have, well at least until the PSW transport & dac gets here!

• 5 months later...

I found that price on ebay and from a company on the internet, however 6 months have passed since then and your looking at about £1400 now im afraid!

I still havent bought my active speakers, Dynaudio is releasing an active version of the Focal 110 called the 110a very shortly, and will try an audition these.

Also quite interested in Quad 12L2 active speakers if anyone has heard them, Quad certainly has a long heritage of fine equipment!

I'm sure this has been said before ... but there is a difference between active and powered speakers - though the terms aren't mutually exclusive.

An active speaker has its crossover electronics working with low level signal prior to multiple power amplifications.

A powered speaker has a power amplifier built into the cabinet.

A powered speaker may also be an active speaker - i.e. have crossover electronics at low level and built in power amplification. An active speaker doesn't have to be a powered speakers - i.e. the crossover electronics and amplification can be in separate boxes.

Sometimes its not easy to tell ... though I understand the Dynaudio Focus 110A is listed as 50w for tweeter and 50w for woofer so it most likely fully active, not just powered.

Not sure it's completely relevant comments but hope may be of help / interest to some people. I'm also willing to be corrected if anyone feels my comments are wrong.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

We have the Focal Twin6/Solo6 and Sub6 in a 5.1 surround system in our Post room. Being an audiophile and mastering engineer, I wouldn't hesitate one bit putting them in a properly treated room for listening. Our WATT/Puppys have a Focal sourced tweeter and the Be tweeter in the Focals I feel is much better.

For the Solo6 speakers, I feel they really benefit from the Sub6, but if you got the Twin6, no sub would be necessary. Being a front ported speaker, you can place them against the wall without any problems!

Regards,

I was bored, so I took a look at the Focal website ... they have analogue input only.

Here's the product brochure for anyone interested.

http://www.jmlab.fr/professional/en/download/SM6/cata-pro-ligneSM6.pdf

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.