IGNORED

Macbook Pro 13" and USB DAC woes.

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing playback problems when using my Macbook Pro 13" Unibody and my USB DAC (a Meier Audio Cantate 2). I'm experiencing crackles and pops while playing back lossless/lossy files. These crackles and pops are spontaneous, and won't repeat themselves at the same part of a song, leading me to believe that it is not a problem with my song files.

I have also plugged my USB DAC into my Asus EEEPC, listened to the same files with Foobar2k + WASAPI, and I have had no problems whatsoever.

I'm completely stumped as to what may be causing this.

So far, I've tried;

Using both USB ports.

Turning off Wifi/Bluetooth.

Disabling sleep/shutting off of harddrive.

Directing system sounds to Inbuilt sound instead of my DAC.

Different software, such as Vox, iTunes, Ayrewave, Play.

Changing of Buffer.

New (and shorter) USB cable.

Updating all software (including MacOS).

Different power cable on the DAC/AMP.

Plugging DAC/AMP and Macbook directly into wall as opposed to a power hub.

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

is rated on USB for 16/48 maximum on USB. This value needs to set in audio Midi (under utilities). Your lossless files need to match this value or lower. Standard CD of 16/44 would be fine to play same for mp3.

Your choice of player needs to be able to adjust the amount of memory you use, perhaps some application running int he background is making things dificult. System Activity monitor is a good place to start.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Okay, I've checked Audio Midi and it was set to 16/44; I've just set that value to 16/48. I will give it a bit of a listen and report back.

Thanks a lot for the help.

edit - also, just out of curiosity; why would 16/44 be causing popping and interference?

Also, I've been noticing that sometimes the setting reverts back to 16/44. Could this just be a symptom of opening and reopening or switching between different applications?

You mention it reverting to 16/44.1. I may be stating the obvious but when you use Audio Midi Set Up and make changes you must first close iTunes, make the change in Audio Midi and then reopen iTunes for the change to take effect.

I think you mentioned you changed cables. If not, try another cable. In another thread I read of a similar problem and in the end the change in cables did the trick though it could be a combination of things causing the issue.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I've tried several cables - I also went out and bought a new one - but it didn't appear to make any difference.

I've now made sure that I reboot iTunes when changing the setting to 16/48.

Like I said, it happens less frequently now, but it still happens every now and then. It's certainly better, just not perfect.

What are some other things that you folks do to make sure that you're getting the absolute best quality out of your USB system? Maybe I'm missing something when I set up my system/turn on my Macbook? Are there any settings that you routinely check or amend?

Thanks!

Perhaps they have firmware updates or can provide configuration tips for your Mac.

FWIW, I've been using a USB DAC with both my iBook and my 2010 MacBook Pro without any spurious noise. It's been plug and play with no special configuration needed. On the software side I've been using Pure Music and iTunes.

I do keep my external HDD connected via the Firewire bus -- so except for the internals (mouse, keyboard or whatever) nothing else is using the USB bus at the same time as the DAC.

Steve

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

So I've just tested my USB DAC/AMP on a Windows PC. The sound was crystal clear - not a click to be heard - the problem must lie with my Macbook, and I'm beginning to think it's a USB power problem. I know that the Macbook has problems with the USB ports (rear port is considered inferior), but regardless of what port I use, I still encounter the problems; I will say though, the crackling occurs MORE when I use the rear port than it does when I use the front port.

Does anyone think it would be possible that a powered USB hub would fix the problem?

A powered usb port might be worth a try. I use an HRT streamer with my 13 inch macbook pro. It flat out does not work with one of the usb ports (the one nearest the front of the computer) and it very occasionally does not work with the one in the rear. Perhaps there is a problem with the usb ports delivering sufficient power for the device.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I am not sure at all but aren't some of those ports, and specifically the one on the side, slower speed USB 1.0 ports rather than high speed 2.0 ports? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I know you can check this under the Apple Logo in the upper left corner>About This Mac>More Info>USB. It will show you the rate of transfer and I know that two ports on my iMac show 480mbs versus 12mbs and 1.5mbs on the other two ports.

If so I wonder if that may have an effect on performance?

No expert on these things but just wondering.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

AFAIK the BB2702 is a USB1.1 device so 12Mbps is correct.

I don't recall if you said: have you tried the DAC on a different computer?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It is sounding like this is an Apple problem. I'd give them a call and describe your problems.

As an aside, I mentioned in my previous post that my USB's weren't great but that is more that was putting it into a USB to SPDIF adaptor. When using a DAC with a USB input the USB outs sound just fine and I have none of the issues you are describing. Sounds like you could simply have a bad one.

Even Apple has bad days.

David

Why the devil would apple decide to provide inferior different USB ports on the same machine? Considering what Apple charges for their computers, I would think each sold would be uniform and have gthe latest setups through out????

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

This is a classic latency problem in the computer due to slow I/O.

Sometimes another USB port will solve this. If you have any other USB devices, particularly outboard hard drives, remove them.

This is why I recommend Mini. It has very fast USB I/O on all ports.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

"Why the devil would apple decide to provide inferior different USB ports on the same machine? Considering what Apple charges for their computers, I would think each sold would be uniform and have gthe latest setups through out????"

I know. I'm finding it to be absolutely ridiculous that my 300 dollar Asus EEE PC netbook can utilise the DAC perfectly, while my exorbitantly priced Macbook Pro pants and stutters. It's incredibly irritating.

The pitiful upgrade path...My iMac came with only 1GB of memory and the max for the machine is only 4. My far older Sony laptop has the same RAM and as much potential memory...

I agree about the Asus netbook...I have a two year old machine that came with 1GB of ram max but they released a BIOS change that let me double that! If Asus can let one double ones memory through a software change, why cannot everyone else?

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

If you can connect via toslink to your laptop, try that, just to see if the problem persists...

If the fault lies with the Macbook pro and it is still under warranty, make them fix it or give you a new one.

I would be very surprised to hear that one USB port is made deliberately inferior, and on every mac computer I have used (at least ten varieties), they have all been equivalent.