IGNORED

Concrete Speakers Anyone?

• 4 months later...

interesting...i couldnt get the link to work...but i did look at a few other cement enclosures online...

ive designed floating concrete shells meant to isolate studio monitors recessed into possibly resonant walls, but ive never seen anything like this...

i guess i always assumed that a certain amount of cabinet resonance could be a 'mellowing' influence on a speaker, above and beyond any dampening material inside...in fact, im sure it is, or can be....i often design specific studio walls to be more resonant than others in order to absorb certain frequencies...[and i mean structurally resonant, with built in flex]...

and of course concrete does resonate to some degree...but at a higher frequency than mdf...

id think a concrete enclosure might create odd high frequency resonate tones if not completely dampened, which is probably impossible...

sorry, just thinking as i type...

that said, i have to say a little biased....my favorite speakers use a hand made 'tuned' cabinet for bass attenuation...theyre an old folded horn design, driven by single 6in full range ultra efficient drivers...i used to run them on 3W max class A tube monoblocs...

theyre finicky things, have to be placed 'just so'....but acoustic bass in particular sounds like its being bowed or plucked right in front of you...utterly gorgeous at times...

i guess i dont see the point of pretending one can completely do away with resonance...personally, i find it more interesting to attempt to use it....musically...

but i am going to think about this...

as i said before....interesting...

ana...

20 or 25 years ago there was a Swedish (I think) company called Rauna or something to that effect. The speakers were vertical tubes that made a 90 bend where the drivers were attached. Actually looked a little like the new B&W reference. They didn't sound great but I never knew if the concrete was a plus or minus.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

A) Shipping cost being very high, they need to be manufactured onsite. You get to meet new friends who can repair your patio, porch, driveway or steps while installing said enclosures. Care must be taken when setting up forms and pumping from mixer truck to living room as wet concrete is not carpet friendly. You can upgrade to ultra select plywood for the forms, which greatly enhances the fluidness of midrange vocal reproduction versus the standard MDF forms. Avoid metal forms as the resulting enclosure(s) often cannot be effectely attenuated without installation of unattainable porcelain dart point tile feet. It has been said for dampening, oak leaves provide the most natural sound. Many audiophiles upgrade to eucalyptus leaves, but most revert back to oak after sufferring from the barking sound of Koala's attempting to mate and feed in the listening room.

B) Concrete speakers are not warranteed when playing Primus above 110 db. Think earthquake like fault lines, freeway or bridge collapses.

C) Concrete speakers sound "cooler" than competitive design alternatives, don't mind beer spills, (or hurricanes) and are termite resistant, allowing you to pass them down to unfortunate heirs thru the generations. Do not attempt to use as a floatation device in the event of flood.

D) Bondo is readily available for field repairs and said enclosures are relatively resistant to oils, sunlight, cat claws, theives, etc.

E) They have been known to accumulate severe infestations of wasps. Sealed enclosures tend to minimize this effect versus the more common ported styles. Best to maintain a regular pesticide application program.

F) Dogs may mistake these enclosures for sidewalks, buyer beware. Odor nuetralizing paints or stains can be effective in countering urine stench.

G) Lead may be a suitable material for inner lining, should one desire to protect crossovers/drivers from potential fallout associated with nuclear holocaust. While this is reported to be a more common modification in the Middle East, to date, no actual evidence has been found indicating this treatment works, or in fact exists.

I do think you can spit things on concrete enclosures. In fact, I am pretty sure they are near ideal for frat parties where vomit is common. Did I mention you can clean them with a high pressure hose?

I accept this nefarious title with great honor.

• 4 months later...

Years ago Wharfedale sold a kit - an 8 inch dual coned driver that sat in a concrete drain pipe you had to but from the local builders yard. I fire up and there was an aluminium cone above to reflect the sound out.

It stood on some short feet and the gap between the bottom of the pipe and the floor formed the port. The pipe was stuffed with absorbent wadding.

Brian

Squeezebox Classic - Beresford Caiman-Gator DAC - Quad 520f with Dada refresh - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.