IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Spoke to designer of this unit today...sounds like what many have been looking for:

>pretty much all formats and resolutions from CD to DSD to 24/192

>firewire and USB2 assync at all resolutions (though DSD will be implemented on USB as firewire, according to Mytek is slowly dissappearing)

>Sabre ESS DAC

>WC in/out for clock guys

>XLR-RCA outs with stepped attenuator volume control

>Remote in the works

>no wall wart power supply

>SPDIF inputs

>Headphone preamp

Designer believes it will smoke the competition anywhere near price range (@$1,500) in terms of sound quality...of course he would say this.

Spoke about future availability of DSD files...which he thinks is possible near term...not sure if there are a bunch of these that are desireable as I have never heard an SACD.

Said that Mytek was trying to take its Pro Audio know how and package it for audiophiles with all the features they desire (something I have wondered about...like why MH or Prism or Apogee wouldn't do this?) though Mytek is not putting a whole lot into product appearence (no thick faceplates, artistic industrial design...which some hobbyist seem to get off on, way more than I can understand).

Expected to be delivered in December.

Sounds pretty cool to me...hit all my buttons...of course the proof is in the tunes...will it sound like live music, swing, rock and have the dynamics of the real thing?

Any CA experience with Mytek pro gear?

No I don't sell, distribute, have a brother-in-law who works there, never met anyone who does other than by phone today...for that matter, I have no business in audio other than enjoyment of music, playing and collecting fine guitars and amps...and I do not sell those either. I'm a finance guy...

Tone with Soul

Is that a BNC connector for the DSD input? I am no up to date on DSD, bt HMDI is the only commercial output I have seen.

There are a lot of SACD's in my pile. But a fair percentage are converted redbook. Many sound the same as the CD layer.

For anyone using DSD files, can iTunes manage these like PCM?

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

A google search pulled up one on sale for me today:

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Mytek-Digital-Stereo192-DSD-DAC-p/9999-08885.htm

They claim that stock is scheduled to arrive on April 15th, so perhaps the wait is nearly over. I'm seriously considering this one since it seems that the W4S DAC2 has already fallen from grace on CA. Native DSD playback makes this option a bit more future-proof too.

-- David

Mytek is presenting the new 192 DSD dac at the Frankfurt Musik Messe next week, according to the german distributor, proaudiogear.de, the dac will hit the shops at the end of April.

Which source come from, delivering december?

Cheers

Stefano

Hello Ted,

I don't have any immediate plans to do DSD recording, although the Korg MR-1000 looks like it would be a fun toy to play with. Unfortunately, neither it nor it's big brother have DSD outputs. Perhaps Sound Devices will one day make a DSD field recorder.

Until then, the plan is to play DSD files that I have purchased from places like Blue Coast Records over USB. Well, that in addition to using it as a USB DAC for the many thousands of PCM files that I have purchased over the years. :)

-- David

• 1 month later...

I assume we can finally avoid the slight sonic degradation of DSD to PCM conversions and I can get pure DSD playback without using my Korg MR-2000S.

Below is a list of SACD players with pure DSD digital output:

http://groups.google.com/group/surroundsound/web/list-of-sacd-players-with-pure-dsd-digital-output

It seems that the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC does not have HDMI inputs, so is firewire the only possible way to get pure DSD playback from any of the above SACD players? I assume that pure DSD playback from any computer with firewire will depend primarily on the player software capability for DSD output as opposed to the player software taking the DSD input and converting that to PCM for output.

"so is firewire the only possible way to get pure DSD playback from any of the above SACD players?" is not an option. I'm not sure what Mytek's solution is...the fact they advertise DSD is good; the fact that no DSD is capable of travelling via coax that I know of...is not good.

My Antelope Gold 24/384 is waiting for Mr Wicked's solution. Take DIFF and convert to 24/352 or 24/384.

Are you saying that those players that claim DSD output via i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394, DENON Link is inaccurate?

I'm not sure what Mytek's solution is either and it seems that the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC has been vaporware for years. The list of A/V receivers and other pre/pros that supposedly provide pure DSD playback is not very reassuring.

http://groups.google.com/group/surroundsound/web/list-of-av-receivers-pre-pros-with-pure-dsd-to-analog-processing

Of course there are other more expensive pure DSD solutions but I think it was Bruce Brown, Owner/Engineer at Puget Sound Studios who stated that nothing could beat the $2K Korg MR-2000S unless you were willing to spend $10K or more. I was hoping the Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC might be another excellent and affordable solution for pure DSD playback. We shall see if it delivers DSD sonic excellence at a reasonable price.

connector) are purely proprietary. So, not inaccurate, just not open. HDMI is at least an open standard of sorts, and any DSD-decoding-capable receiver or ssp will talk to them....but no DAC I know.

cases due to hardware limitations.

The general consensus seems to be that pure DSD playback is sonically superior to any DSD to PCM conversions.

Why - because:

1. There are no excellent and affordable (my definition less than $5K, preferable less than $3K) DSD DACs

2. The audio quality of HDMI is decent but for many is not up to audiophile standards for those who want the best

3. A/V receivers that are capable of pure DSD playback seem to fall far short sonically of solutions that convert DSD to PCM to allow excellent playback using better PCM DACs. Thank you for the easy methods to rip SACDs to 24/88.2 or 24/176.4 PCM, which seems like the best way for now to play SACDs.

4. The analog outputs of most SACD and Universal Players seems not to be as good as the method to rip SACDs to 24/88.2 and higher PCM for playback through excellent PCM DACs

So just like multichannel audio done well, I surmise that most audiophiles, that either love or hate SACDs, have not really heard the full sonic potential of what DSD has to offer. Of course audiophile vinyl and PCM are not standing still either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Everybody

My name is Michal Jurewicz and I'm the DAC designer and Mytek Founder.

After two concept prototypes you seen here over the last 2 years the final version has been released and can be ordered. It's a really amazing box.

Pls see detailed information here:

http://mytekdigital.com/download_library/stereo192-dsd-dac_new_product_release_july_2011.pdf

I'd be happy to answer any QQ

Best Regards M

The availability question is answered, what is the price range we can expect to see from the retailers?

I have seen these listed for sale at around 3200.00 early this year. But this was a long time before yesterday's commercial launch.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

when using the standard (non pro mixer version)stereo192 or 8/192 for that matter, how does one play DSD files from a MAC, say via firewire? Assume I have a set of DSDIFFF files on my MAC. What does a Mytek stereo192 user use for a player (for native direct DSD, not PCM conversion) and what else is needed (i.e does Mytek have a specific firewire or USB driver that allows 2.8Mhz DSDDIFF capability)?

I recently purchased a Mytek 8X192 for my computer audio system. It is the first piece of ProAudio equipment I have owned. My previous reference was a Wadia converter.

I must say that I have been favoribly impressed with the Mytek. I am only using it as a 2 channel configuration. I do like the neutrality of the Mytek. It clearly reveals more detail that my Wadia. Of course that comparison is not entirely fair as the higher resolution music should be better. I had no knowledge of the Mytek product before purchasing, but I would rate the support from Mytek as excellent, when I initially set up the unit. I took a chance and was very pleased with the result.

RRay

On a Mac, for now Pure Music http://www.channld.com/puremusic/ plays DSD and 128xDSD files with other appl. like this possibly allowing this in the future.

At the moment the particular app has to be tailored to our DAC to be able to do it, we are looking into getting this standardized.

On Win there is the Steinberg ASIO driver which does DSD- this standard has already been defined a while ago. We are still testing which appl. can do the job in terms of playback.

I'd except more software to appear soon.

To use Mytek with DSD you need to install our drivers for either MAC, Win and for both FW and USB.

Best Regards, Michal, MYtek New York