IGNORED

Article: Apple's AirPlay 2 arrives today on Bluesound

• 1 month later...

I'm shopping for a soundbar and the Bluesound Soundbar Pulse 2i leads the pack due to their Roon capability.  What's shocking is how little any of their dealers actually know about their products.  Whether online or B&M.  It's quite pathetic honestly.  @The Computer Audiophile know of any dealers worthwhile?  I could easily go direct...

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Is AirPlay 2 supposed to work like Spotify Connect, where you can turn off the phone/tablet controller and the music still plays?

I've got a Node 2i but if I turn off the phone, music via Airplay 2 stops.

Not sure if that's how Airplay 2 is supposed to work (like Airplay 1) or if there's something wrong with my unit and it's meant to continue playing like Spotify Connect?

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Is AirPlay 2 supposed to work like Spotify Connect, where you can turn off the phone/tablet controller and the music still plays?

I've got a Node 2i but if I turn off the phone, music via Airplay 2 stops.

Not sure if that's how Airplay 2 is supposed to work (like Airplay 1) or if there's something wrong with my unit and it's meant to continue playing like Spotify Connect?

AirPlay 2 still uses the old school, stream through your phone type of playback. Very lame. 

Imagine if video went through our TV remotes. People would be up in arms. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

AirPlay 2 still uses the old school, stream through your phone type of playback. Very lame. 

Jeeze, that's lame indeed.

Spotify Connect and Chromecast do it properly.

Apple's always gotta go against the grain.

16 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Jeeze, that's lame indeed.

Spotify Connect and Chromecast do it properly.

Apple's always gotta go against the grain.

Apple and DTS Play-Fi do it this way. However, if you use Apple Music and a HomePod, audio will route to the speaker straight from the internet as it should. Lame indeed. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Apple and DTS Play-Fi do it this way. However, if you use Apple Music and a HomePod, audio will route to the speaker straight from the internet as it should. Lame indeed. 

I can forgive Airplay 1 for working that way but I would have thought while developing Airplay 2 that they tested Chromecast and Spotify Connect and thought "this is better".

Even power consumption perspective, for the iPhone or iPad or Macbook that's controlling (and streaming, in the case of Airplay) the playback...

Wonder why it's limited to HomePod. Ah well, it is what it is.

I have Roon but have been checking out the Spotify and Apple Music apps to see how much has improved in the last 2 years.

Man, the Spotify UI and library and radio is fantastic and Spotify Connect to the Node 2i is brilliant.

If Spotify ever go ahead with the CD quality streaming they were testing back in 2017... my Roon usage would drop to just my local hard drive music that's missing on streaming services and the bulk of my listening would be Spotify (90% of my stuff is on streaming).