IGNORED

Genelec G One online dealer?, or other desktop speaker advice

I'm interested in trying the Genelec G One speakers, and was hoping someone could recommend an online dealer who actually carries them. Amazon seems not to; B&H lists them as permanently out of stock (or in the case of the white ones only, orderable but not returnable); my local brick-and-mortar dealer doesn't have them in store to audition.

I would also welcome any other advice for desktop speakers, though I've read through some discussion here and don't want to duplicate what people have asked before. 

This is for an actual desktop, so I have to have speakers small enough to fit on it, where they'd be 2–3 feet away from my head. I'm open to either active or passive. My desk faces out into the room, so there's nothing but air behind them, no awkward corners. I tend to prefer a clean sound, and love electrostatics/planar-magnetics/etc., but these also have to be appropriate for whatever noises come from the web, as well as playing well-recorded music. I don't mind getting a sub to supplement the bass of a tiny speaker.

I currently have the B&W MM-1's, which are fine for background music but don't really do it for me on the high end. I've heard the Audioengine A2's, and I've listened to the Magnepan Mini Maggies, which were fantastic, but would not only require a pretty significant amp, but also, the woofer is a huge panel that wouldn't work with my current setup.

From what I've read, the Genelec G One's (probably with the F One subwoofer) seem like they'd be pretty good for my needs.

I don't have any budget at the moment; it seems to be the case that most speakers designed for the actual desktop aren't all that expensive, but I'm certainly curious about what else is out there!

search on here using the keyword desktop - maybe in titles only and/or include speaker

one thread you'll find was started by me

my issue is they need to fit into corners, so that is one problem or 2 really, as many have backwards firing bass port designs

maybe the G1's are superseded?

37 minutes ago, pippenainteasy said:

G1 is just renamed Genelec 6010 or 8010 model. You can buy 8010 from sites like Sweetwater or Guitar Center which both have normal return policies (unlike B&H).

The G One and the 8010A are the same speaker except that the G One has RCA input while the 8010A has XLR input.

mQa is dead!

On 12/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, the_jest said:

This is for an actual desktop, so I have to have speakers small enough to fit on it, where they'd be 2–3 feet away from my head. I'm open to either active or passive. My desk faces out into the room, so there's nothing but air behind them, no awkward corners. I tend to prefer a clean sound, and love electrostatics/planar-magnetics/etc., but these also have to be appropriate for whatever noises come from the web, as well as playing well-recorded music. I don't mind getting a sub to supplement the bass of a tiny speaker.

Remind me why you are looking at something other than mini-Maggie's? 

You don't seem fond of reserving large tracts of your desk for something like a Kii 3 on commercial isolation stands.  So it makes the part about adding a sub curious. In the near field usage a sub really needs to be as in your face and very nearly on the same plane as your stereo speakers. 

25 minutes ago, rando said:

Remind me why you are looking at something other than mini-Maggie's? 

You don't seem fond of reserving large tracts of your desk for something like a Kii 3 on commercial isolation stands.  So it makes the part about adding a sub curious. In the near field usage a sub really needs to be as in your face and very nearly on the same plane as your stereo speakers. 

A sub that's not on the floor?

The Kii 3's are vastly more expensive than what I have been looking at, and are also rather larger.

As for the Mini Maggies, I must confess that it's primarily an aesthetic issue: My desk is glass-topped, and faces into the room, so having a large flat-panel subwoofer would block off the whole area of the desk and what's behind it, so instead of having a free expanse of space, I'd have a little corner set off by a flat subwoofer, which is not how I want that part of the room to look. A small speaker with a subwoofer on the floor would be fine.

On 12/11/2018 at 4:08 AM, the_jest said:

I'm interested in trying the Genelec G One speakers, and was hoping someone could recommend an online dealer who actually carries them. Amazon seems not to; B&H lists them as permanently out of stock (or in the case of the white ones only, orderable but not returnable); my local brick-and-mortar dealer doesn't have them in store to audition.

I would also welcome any other advice for desktop speakers, though I've read through some discussion here and don't want to duplicate what people have asked before. 

I currently have the B&W MM-1's, which are fine for background music but don't really do it for me on the high end. I've heard the Audioengine A2's, and I've listened to the Magnepan Mini Maggies, which were fantastic, but would not only require a pretty significant amp, but also, the woofer is a huge panel that wouldn't work with my current setup.

From what I've read, the Genelec G One's (probably with the F One subwoofer) seem like they'd be pretty good for my needs.

I don't have any budget at the moment; it seems to be the case that most speakers designed for the actual desktop aren't all that expensive, but I'm certainly curious about what else is out there!

The G Ones would perfect if you're sitting that close. I've had mine for a few months now sitting on the desk quite close. Very enjoyable to listen to. I like them more than some very expensive near field speakers I've had in the past, cause they don't give me ear fatigue. I think I'll get the Genelec sub for mine at some stage. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, lucretius said:

With respect to the G One/8010A speakers, you should try to listen to them before buying or ensure you have a good return policy.  These particular speakers  are definitely not for everyone; some folks love'm, some hate'm.

I agree with Lucretius, should listen to the Genelec before buying.  

My own professional work is related to digital voice and sound processing and have to work with quantification of their qualities. In the labs I use Genelec 's all over because they are spectrally accurate.   But at home my desktop loudspeakers are KEF's instead.  Genelec's are the best for laboratory measurement work, but they do not bring the excitement and enjoyment to my music listening.   You should listen and compare to decide what you enjoy the most.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Update: After a bunch more consideration, I decided to risk getting the G One's, unauditioned. I got them directly from Genelec (whose sales people were extremely helpful).

I understand the "some love 'em, some hate 'em" dynamic, but I'm very glad to say that I am in the former camp: I really loved them from the start, and continue to be very happy with them, a month later. While I'm not professionally involved in audio production, I do like a very clean sound, and these great for my ears. I think the range is pretty good too; I'm currently using a not-great subwoofer that sounds muddy and overbearing, but I hope to replace it with an F One soon, but even as it is, I'm happy enough with the bass.

I still haven't heard the KEF LS50's, but it doesn't really matter, since these wouldn't fit on my desk very well: they're 4" taller than the G Ones, and my monitors would block them.

So, anyway, if you like a clean sound, the G One's get the thumbs-up from me.