IGNORED

Is Digital Audio A Mature Science?

7 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Facts need to be checked. Otherwise they may wind up as 'alternative'.

Only those that are seriously in doubt. As you know, the term "alternative fact" is a creation of the current White House and is an oxymoron.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Claim that human ears are capable of detecting audio differences that are not measurable is very seriously in doubt.

In your opinion, perhaps. Those claims are not in doubt by the innumerable who have heard such differences repeatedly for decades.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Claim that human ears are capable of detecting audio differences that are not measurable is very seriously in doubt.

1 minute ago, Allan F said:

In your opinion. Those claims are not in doubt by those who have heard them repeatedly for many decades.

This is a topic that has always interested me and deserves a good discussion without the noise on the extremes.

I waver back and forth on this one. Sometimes one certain days it seems like I can hear an incredible amount of stuff I should be hearing. This is without me sitting down to "test" something. Just kicking back and listening. I understand the science completely and I know it flies in the face of this experience. An interesting topic that hopefully the adults around here can discuss.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is a topic that has always interested me and deserves a good discussion without the noise on the extremes.

I waver back and forth on this one. Sometimes one certain days it seems like I can hear an incredible amount of stuff I should be hearing. This is without me sitting down to "test" something. Just kicking back and listening. I understand the science completely and I know it flies in the face of this experience. An interesting topic that hopefully the adults around here can discuss.

Chris, check the study that I shared earlier in this thread. At the very least it points to why comparing audio playback without controlling for bias is wrought with potential errors. 

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

I stopped reading there. No point in continuing.

I made it all the way to "...Indeed the quote "high-end" audio industry has a firmer foundation in cost per performance than many others"

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

17 hours ago, 20hertz said:

Also, as a response to all the other nonconstructive comments re: vinyl.

All my design work is run thru a pair of carefully calibrated Genelec 8260s using DSP.

DSP is very good at improving speaker and room issues but it does not alter the quality of the source material.

The vinyl rig still kills it more than 50 percent of the time.

Personally I want digital to be better, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of vinyl at home, and I have over ten TB of digital files.

But is still sounds lean and 2D to my ears.

DSP also has its price. NOTHING comes close to an analogue only system with pure class a amps directly connected to a driver.

Which is how it's been for decades. A digital chain not fully "debugged" sucks the warmth and richness out of a track- it takes listening to a, yes, sorted rig to appreciate what the true nature of the recording is.

It's not DSP that's doing the damage; directly, that is. Processing activity in any area of the system very, very easily injects interference in the analogue related circuitry; which then cripples the SQ. Very careful attention to detail can make all the difference - the sort of thinking that, say, PeterSt uses.

Fear not, digital can deliver the full bundle - the technology 30 years ago could do it, as I personally found out. But only if all the i's are dotted, and all the t's are crossed ...

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is how it's been for decades. A digital chain not fully "debugged" sucks the warmth and richness out of a track- it takes listening to a, yes, sorted rig to appreciate what the true nature of the recording is.

It's not DSP that's doing the damage; directly, that is. Processing activity in any area of the system very, very easily injects interference in the analogue related circuitry; which then cripples the SQ. Very careful attention to detail can make all the difference - the sort of thinking that, say, PeterSt uses.

Fear not, digital can deliver the full bundle - the technology 30 years ago could do it, as I personally found out. But only if all the i's are dotted, and all the t's are crossed ...

Can you give an example of a digital system with dotting i and crossing t that has stood the test of 30 years?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

17 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Other than his own ? ¬¬

Sorry Frank

The Devil made me do it.

Anything that Frank has experienced and known to work for 30 years. I'm all ears and eyes and keen to know. If it concerns digital audio, going back that far, then USB is out of the equation.

IMHO, USB has the bandwidth, but S/PDIF (either balanced or SE) has the 'lowest noise transmittable content'. Jitter & clocking can be controlled to a degree, largely depends on the DAC's receiver and clock circuits. The amount of malformed signals is pretty well minimal, for example RME makes a big noise about their stability of clocks, so do Mutec. Here's a good paper from Wolfson about high performance S/PDIF receivers from 2006. These days, although care is required for power supplies that feed receiver circuits are still essential, the receiver design should be well mature by now.

Members report reasonably consistently that a preference toward AES3 or coax inputs are better sounding than the USB inputs. I don't think the clocking advantage of USB transmissions is enough to overcome the PHY requirements and quality of transmissions needed for USB to work properly, then there's the isolation problem. Just look at the power supply lines in close proximity to the signal data at 480Mb/s...how can that be split, especially at the connector?  S/PDIF can be isolated simply with transformers, the speeds are well below awkward limits, so the design of the transformer is a well established technology. 

41 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Anything that Frank has experienced and known to work for 30 years. I'm all ears and eyes and keen to know. If it concerns digital audio, going back that far, then USB is out of the equation.

IMHO, USB has the bandwidth, but S/PDIF (either balanced or SE) has the 'lowest noise transmittable content'. Jitter & clocking can be controlled to a degree, largely depends on the DAC's receiver and clock circuits. The amount of malformed signals is pretty well minimal, for example RME makes a big noise about their stability of clocks, so do Mutec. Here's a good paper from Wolfson about high performance S/PDIF receivers from 2006. These days, although care is required for power supplies that feed receiver circuits are still essential, the receiver design should be well mature by now.

Members report reasonably consistently that a preference toward AES3 or coax inputs are better sounding than the USB inputs. I don't think the clocking advantage of USB transmissions is enough to overcome the PHY requirements and quality of transmissions needed for USB to work properly, then there's the isolation problem. Just look at the power supply lines in close proximity to the signal data at 480Mb/s...how can that be split, especially at the connector?  S/PDIF can be isolated simply with transformers, the speeds are well below awkward limits, so the design of the transformer is a well established technology. 

Garry

It could be interesting to try something like the attached with proper terminations and 75ohm BNC connectors at each end.

They are designed for video distribution, have a very wide and flat response and a gain of 2.

Silicon Chip magazine used them in a Video Distribution project for S-VHS etc. distribution.

Regards

Alex.

MAX496-MAX497.pdf

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Garry

It could be interesting to try something like the attached with proper terminations and 75ohm BNC connectors at each end.

They are designed for video distribution, have a very wide and flat response and a gain of 2.

Regards

Alex.

MAX496-MAX497.pdf

They certainly have the bandwidth, the transformer though requires no PSU and are totally passive. So long as the voltage is around the 0.5V for S/PDIF it's not a problem.

39 minutes ago, One and a half said:

They certainly have the bandwidth, the transformer though requires no PSU and are totally passive. So long as the voltage is around the 0.5V for S/PDIF it's not a problem.

Agreed, but the amplifier would also extend the workable distance, as well as retaining  an excellent waveform requiring less processing in the Input receiver.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020