IGNORED

Is Digital Audio A Mature Science?

Also, as a response to all the other nonconstructive comments re: vinyl.

All my design work is run thru a pair of carefully calibrated Genelec 8260s using DSP.

DSP is very good at improving speaker and room issues but it does not alter the quality of the source material.

The vinyl rig still kills it more than 50 percent of the time.

Personally I want digital to be better, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of vinyl at home, and I have over ten TB of digital files.

But is still sounds lean and 2D to my ears.

DSP also has its price. NOTHING comes close to an analogue only system with pure class a amps directly connected to a driver.

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

Anything you can share @KeenObserver

Most of your early Chesky CD's were very good.  Recorded in a purist manner and no processing.  

For something more popular in a studio produced CD the original release of Dire Strait's Love over Gold is very good. 

Not an early CD, but I've thought Buddy Guy's Feels like rain is a well recorded CD.  

The Wilson Audio CD's which are once again available in some higher rez formats are also very good. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Measurements may not be subject to expectation bias, but the expectation that measurements will correspond to sound quality often does not accord with reality.

Measured sound quality or perceived sound quality?

Most people by far prefer some compression on recordings.  Not necessarily a huge amount, but some amount will usually have people thinking the sound quality is improved with some compression.  The accuracy is worse, the perception is an improvement.  A simple illustration of the issues there. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Most people by far prefer some compression on recordings.  Not necessarily a huge amount, but some amount will usually have people thinking the sound quality is improved with some compression.

Compression normally results in the degradation of any low level ambience.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, 20hertz said:

Also, as a response to all the other nonconstructive comments re: vinyl.

All my design work is run thru a pair of carefully calibrated Genelec 8260s using DSP.

DSP is very good at improving speaker and room issues but it does not alter the quality of the source material.

The vinyl rig still kills it more than 50 percent of the time.

Personally I want digital to be better, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of vinyl at home, and I have over ten TB of digital files.

But is still sounds lean and 2D to my ears.

DSP also has its price. NOTHING comes close to an analogue only system with pure class a amps directly connected to a driver.

So you convert the analogue to digital to pass through the DSP I presume, yet even though its been through a digital conversion its still better than the other anaolgue that has been through a digital conversion.... Never mind of course that most stuff is digitally recorded anyway these days...

No bias working here then...

56 minutes ago, marce said:

So you convert the analogue to digital to pass through the DSP I presume, yet even though its been through a digital conversion its still better than the other anaolgue that has been through a digital conversion.... Never mind of course that most stuff is digitally recorded anyway these days...

No bias working here then...

Correct. Turntable goes thru ADC and DSP as does any digital source we have set up as well.

We then have have trained industry listeners from outside come to listen to tell us if our design work is heading in the right direction.

The listeners have absolutely no idea what source or changes have been made since the last time they visited.

Often the result of our work is entirely unexpected, improvements come where least expected.

Also what I expected to be a great leap forward (bias) was not so great at all and ended up in the bin.

The DSP cleans up the playback of any source, however I still believe it comes at a sonic cost of its own.

3 hours ago, esldude said:

For something more popular in a studio produced CD the original release of Dire Strait's Love over Gold is very good. 

VERTIGO 800 088-2  Made in W.Germany is the original and best !

L.O.G. 1.jpg

L.O.G. 2.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Compression normally results in the degradation of any low level ambience.

Depends.  It often sounds like there is more low level ambiance if just the right amount of compression is applied and the recording has some to start with.  

8 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

And you arrived at this conclusion using a bias controlled method perhaps?

The fact method.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

That was addressed by the study I shared. More than 75% of listeners heard a different performance while the same exact one was played, all based on expectation/confirmation bias. Fact?

The study is irrelevant to the fact I posted.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron