IGNORED

Is Digital Audio A Mature Science?

5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

So you are moderating this one? As I recall, you brought up the other thread, I just responded.

Unlike you,  I don't believe in moderating a thread unless the replies are NOT civil or personal attacks .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You are obviously deliriously happy with the lacklustre set up you are already using. 

So that's why my favorite chair smells like Vegemite. How did you get past the dog?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

13 hours ago, esldude said:

Balderdash!

Nothing more. 

Which merely says that you haven't gone down the same path of exploration that I have - unlike many, I fluked getting an epiphany moment; which changed everything. Everything since has been a natural, logical progression from that experience, and each step has followed another, in a reasonably rational fashion.

I hadn't fired up my current rig for months and months, and was finally provoked into doing so by the awfulness of a sound reinforcement setup which should have at least been somewhat listenable to. It's only taken a couple of days of gently nudging it back to decent shape, for it to provide a good measure of the SQ I'm always looking for. Which centres on it providing the sense and vitality of live sounds - all the other bits like providing a "perfect sonic hologram" fully flesh out as one takes ever more steps to finesse every aspect.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

These small differences all add up. However, keep burying your head in the sand , Sunshine !

You are obviously deliriously happy with the lacklustre set up you are already using. 

How it works is that the "small differences", if going in the 'right direction', are eliminating annoying anomalies in the perceived sound - the Subtracting Badness route. When the last critical weakness is 'tamed' then the full measure of SQ can be experienced - I use the debugging concept because the end result is just as magical; when a software program is finally rid of the major bugs then it becomes truly useful, instead of being a huge pain in the bum ...

3 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

I sometimes think of the entire music chain as a hose with funnels on both ends. We argue about minutely tiny differences in components in the middle of the chain, but the transducers on both ends of the chain introduce distortions orders of magnitude greater than digital processor do. Microphones and speakers have a substantially greater effect on what we hear than any other component.  While we argue about differences of a ten thousandths of a percent in some components, we see twenty percent distortion in some subwoofers.

And of course the component in the chain that has the most effect.  The engineer at the console.

When CD's first came out they were throwing anything they could find onto CD's and pushing them out the door.  Some were garbage.  But there were sound engineers that understood the new medium and produced outstanding CD's.  I have a number of CD's that were properly re-mastered from the original masters.  They are reference quality and rival any Hi-rez recording.

Umm, no. The "tiny differences" in the "middle of the chain" introduce distortions which our hearing has a hard time separating from the music - "listening fatigue" is one of the most obvious results.

When a rig is working at a very high order of competence, "garbage" CDs can be listened to, enjoyably, effortlessly, for hours on end. And this occurs because our brains don't have to deal with the debilitating impact of disturbing, irritating degradation wrought by weaknesses in the playback chain.

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Umm, no. The "tiny differences" in the "middle of the chain" introduce distortions which our hearing has a hard time separating from the music - "listening fatigue" is one of the most obvious results.

When a rig is working at a very high order of competence, "garbage" CDs can be listened to, enjoyably, effortlessly, for hours on end. And this occurs because our brains don't have to deal with the debilitating impact of disturbing, irritating degradation wrought by weaknesses in the playback chain.

Wow!

So I just need a "high order" rig to listen to garbage recordings?

So we don't need to bother with quality mastering, we just need a "high order" rig.

And to think of all the time I've wasted searching for quality recordings!

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

The goal is to get the most enjoyment out of the greatest number of recordings ... if the "historical artifact" is all you have, do you want every time you listen to such to be an ordeal, a hair shirt experience?

<car analogy alert!>

I have a vehicle that allows me to only be comfortable driving over the best roads - it's a sign of its capability that I hate coming across mediocre roads; I prefer to organise my trips by searching for the roads that are of a certain standard; unfortunately, that means that there are many parts of the country that I can never visit.

Ahh, yes - those "turn everything on its head" moments can do that to one ...

Quite nice at the other end - for example, you discover that the original masterings are so much more enjoyable than all the rejigging efforts - the latter have been so simplified, "dumbed down" to make them 'work' on normal rigs that they are quite boring to listen to ..

10 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

I sometimes think of the entire music chain as a hose with funnels on both ends. We argue about minutely tiny differences in components in the middle of the chain, but the transducers on both ends of the chain introduce distortions orders of magnitude greater than digital processor do. Microphones and speakers have a substantially greater effect on what we hear than any other component.  While we argue about differences of a ten thousandths of a percent in some components, we see twenty percent distortion in some subwoofers.

And of course the component in the chain that has the most effect.  The engineer at the console.

When CD's first came out they were throwing anything they could find onto CD's and pushing them out the door.  Some were garbage.  But there were sound engineers that understood the new medium and produced outstanding CD's.  I have a number of CD's that were properly re-mastered from the original masters.  They are reference quality and rival any Hi-rez recording.

Agree the source material is key, please provide examples of CD's that sound great and what is your CD player? 

Many thanks

Yes, its a regular thing from some audiophiles, a bit like your all analogue sounds the same, comment the usual audiophile drivel and boy this thread has had some, but not as much as some others.

You can buy add on software that will make your digital sound like the analogue of yesteryear.

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

I always am filled with wonder when someone comes to a site called Computer Audiophile to espouse the virtues of vinyl and turntables.

Because it is a superior format... LOL

I use 8 track tape these days and when I can afford I will be up-grading to wax cylinders.