IGNORED

A (Slightly Early) Christmas DAC Story Part One

9 hours ago, accwai said:

That's one reason I'm more interested in homologation cars. However, I would image no street condition would come close to grinding it out for a whole day at Le Mans. A single GT-40 chassis had won Le Mans twice. That feat has not been repeated as far as I know. By the way, Ross Bentley mentioned in Endurance Racing Guide that modern top echelon enduro cars requires no holding back. You run them flat out all day long (literally :)). Perhaps some babying was given in the old days? In any case, there is probably no way to plug a data logger into old cars like GT-40. Current generation GT should be equipped for this kind of thing.

Sure you can make a race car last a long time with kind of maintenance the cars get between races. I can't speak for today's LeMans cars but if you want to see how flimsy they were built (especially the coachwork) in the GT-40's heyday, just watch Steve McQueen's "LeMans" again ('cause I know you've seen it before) and watch that Ferrari and that Porsche come apart in those two accidents. 

9 hours ago, accwai said:

Yeah, some people are into E85 these days. Unfortunately the stuff is nowhere to be found in Canada. There is supposed to be a place in one of the Toronto satellite cities that can supply E80. The stuff is brutally expensive but has has lower than usual energy content :( Plus installing a flex fuel kit is often required. Too much trouble for now...

And your car doesn't like E85 either (unless it was built specifically for it). It destroys hoses and seals.

George

21 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Sure you can make a race car last a long time with kind of maintenance the cars get between races. I can't speak for today's LeMans cars but if you want to see how flimsy they were built (especially the coachwork) in the GT-40's heyday, just watch Steve McQueen's "LeMans" again ('cause I know you've seen it before) and watch that Ferrari and that Porsche come apart in those two accidents.

Good idea. Thanks.

And your car doesn't like E85 either (unless it was built specifically for it). It destroys hoses and seals.

Actually my car has quite a few flex fuel kits available, some of which have PTFE replacement hoses. Installing these things aren't for the faint of heart and running them almost always involve fiddling with the ECU. Too crazy, for now at least...

accwai - can you list your cars?

you're in Tonto, right?

for the record: I own a rather hotrodded air-cooled 911 (the unit body is '73); a VW Vanagon camper (Westy); and a Subaru

prev. cars include: BMW 2002, Toyota Supra, Honda Prelude (only one with a decent stock stereo), Porsche Boxster S, 1975 911, Mazda RX-7 turbo, MB SUV, yada yada

2 hours ago, accwai said:

Good idea. Thanks.

Actually my car has quite a few flex fuel kits available, some of which have PTFE replacement hoses. Installing these things aren't for the faint of heart and running them almost always involve fiddling with the ECU. Too crazy, for now at least...

I suspect strongly that if you put a flex-fuel kit on your car, it will be fine. Flex-fuel kits change out all of the components that are not alcohol tolerant. So that wouldn't be as much of a problem. I was thinking of back about 25 years ago, when California re-formulated their gasoline by adding a small amount of  alcohol to the mix and the number of people who's fuel systems (rubber hoses, gaskets, etc) were damaged by the then "new" fuel. Ultimately, the state took the ethanol back out of the gas. 

George

19 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

There probably is not a Tesla driving school, but all those reasons are why I am waiting for a doubling of the battery size before buying.

Let's hope that they can do that without doubling the battery weight! Teslas already handle poorly enough to keep me from buying even were I in the market (Hybrids are the only only viable solution for me, as I have no place to plug in a pure rechargeable electric vehicle). 

George

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Let's hope that they can do that without doubling the battery weight! Teslas already handle poorly enough to keep me from buying even were I in the market (Hybrids are the only only viable solution for me, as I have no place to plug in a pure rechargeable electric vehicle). 

I don't know how they are doing it, but I read someplace the new 200kWh battery for the upcoming roadster is supposed to fit in the same  size and shape platform as the existing 100kWh battery in the Model S. Whether or not that happens, remains to be seen.

No electron left behind.

13 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I suspect strongly that if you put a flex-fuel kit on your car, it will be fine. Flex-fuel kits change out all of the components that are not alcohol tolerant. [...]

Changing the hoses is just the beginning. Taking full advantage of flex fuel usually involves retuning. Dropping a ethanol sensor into the fuel system, routing wire into the ECU etc. That's the part that's not for the faint of heart. The high end kits are 4 dollar figure jobs.

16 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

accwai - can you list your cars?

Nothing all that interesting. My main car now is a Toyota 86. Base level with an almost complete set of TRD options. Then a bunch of other current and past cars like family sedan, mini SUV, Prius, TDI, VW camper etc.

you're in Tonto, right? [...]

Yes. They're digging/resurfacing all over the city now. When you have 4" of ground clearance, you cringe every time you see yourself coming up fast to a pothole sticking *up* from the ground. Then a sigh of relief after it passes under you without a big scrape.

Lots of interesting cars around here in the summer. Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, R8, GT-Rs, BMW i8s, X Ms, and from time to time Lotus, Alfas, highly modified BRZ/FR-S/WRX STIs etc. And not just any regular Ferraris and Lambos. I once parked next to an Aventador, and passed by close to a GTC4Lusso. Have also seen a previous generation Ford GT parked downtown.

22 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't know how they are doing it, but I read someplace the new 200kWh battery for the upcoming roadster is supposed to fit in the same  size and shape platform as the existing 100kWh battery in the Model S. Whether or not that happens, remains to be seen.

Well, size and shape are certainly one thing, but weight is the culprit. Hopefully, they've doubled the capacity without the next gen battery weighing more!

George

10 hours ago, accwai said:

Changing the hoses is just the beginning. Taking full advantage of flex fuel usually involves retuning. Dropping a ethanol sensor into the fuel system, routing wire into the ECU etc. That's the part that's not for the faint of heart. The high end kits are 4 dollar figure jobs.

Yes, of course. That goes without saying. 

George