IGNORED

A (Slightly Early) Christmas DAC Story Part One

I think it is illegal to use headphones while driving, the idea being you won't be able to hear emergency vehicles.

I think Gordon Murray might be making cars I can't afford. Although, if he (Gordon) wanted to give me a fully carbon McLaren F1, I wouldn't turn it down.

Regardless, I trust that Porsches GT department has properly sorted the suspension and brakes for me. One of the things that come with the GT4 is brake cooling ducts that can be installed after the sale, those are in as well. Not to mention the suspension and aero is adjustable as well. Power and strength of the gearbox were the cars only weaknesses as far as I am concerned. I have a long ways to go before I get good enough to over power the brakes and reach the limit of the suspension.

No electron left behind.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:45 PM, Ralf11 said:

CF for the street weighs about the same as fiberglass - trust me - I looked into this. 

Highly possible the commercially available options for your vintage car echo a sentiment of weight and long term durability. Late model sports cars are not at a loss for high quality 1K or UD CF aftermarket options.  

After installing a roll cage and racing belts the chances of observing official statements pertaining to the safe replacement of body panels has quite likely disappeared.  I'm sure the good Dr doesn't chase the unsafe or highly ill advised options that are available. :)

@TubeLover Did you get a chance to listen to the second coming of the GG DAC?  I quit very occasionally reading an OR based webzine EIC about the time he prominently mounted his in place of pride along with a disconcerting amount snake oil/consumer science/laughable in origin and price audio frippery/alternate belief system icons. 

Congrats on living your dreams this year. Even if you'll be half noodle and broth by years end. 

The early Porsche 911 is not at a loss for high quality 1K or UD CF aftermarket options.  Trust me on that.  The issue is that to make CF durable enough for street use, it is as heavy as FG - lots of race CF parts can be had for my car.

You guys may enjoy some of the pics here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/273740-yet-another-boring-hot-rod-rgruppe-car-part-v-exterior-paint.html

esp. the one about whether to keep the steel front trunk lid...

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

For DIYers, I usually advocate explaining the expensive, shiny wrenches & sockets in the toolbox as "jewelry"

there may be a way to use that for HiFi system components too...

If she were into anything expensive, that would probably work, she is way too frugal. ha. 

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

and here is a thread I started re car audio:

I guess we should alert @gmgraves and ?? is it @sphinxsix ?

Certain cars don't need stereos as they are entertaining enough all by themselves. I had a Jaguar XK140 that met that criterion as well as a 212MM Ferrari and an Alfa Romeo GTV-6. Porsches sound great too. Just going through the gears in cars like this makes a sound that rivals Beethoven's 9th.....

George

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Certain cars don't need stereos as they are entertaining enough all by themselves. I had a Jaguar XK140 that met that criterion as well as a 212MM Ferrari and an Alfa Romeo GTV-6. Porsches sound great too. Just going through the gears in cars like this makes a sound that rivals Beethoven's 9th.....

Well said, and you have indeed had some fine cars there . 

JC

13 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Stick shift manual tends to require quite a bit of focus to keep appropriate engine RPM at all times. And whereever one is, one can always carefully shift the weight around, trade between braking and steering etc. That's entertaining enough already personally.

Sadly old fashioned stick shift is dying. Autoblipping on modern DCT has made a lot of the traditional fancy footwork obsolete. DCT should in theory open up a brave new world of left foot braking. But in the name of safety, most of them would cut power on gas/brake overlap. So technology is chipping away at the art of driving. In a decade, likely nobody will be doing any driving at all. Then we can all discuss in car mch audio installation at autoaudiophile.com forum while the cars speed themselves down the road at 200mph. Oh well...

In the meantime, AWD hybrid that has engine driving the rear and electric motor driving the front seems like a very intriguing way to go. At the top level, just look the cars in LMP1-H class, e.g. Audi R18 e-Tron, Porsche 919 Hybrid and Toyota TS050. These are staggering in both performance and efficiency. In the streets, BMW i8 are all over the place these days. They don't sound all that impressive though unless you pump synthetic exhaust note through the stereo. Oops, there goes the stereo delete x-D

As for DACs, I'm a totaldac person. Michael Lavorgna loves the stuff so everybody on CA knows it's garbage. So I'm not going to embarrass myself in front of the distinguished audience here.

1 hour ago, accwai said:

Stick shift manual tends to require quite a bit of focus to keep appropriate engine RPM at all times. And whereever one is, one can always carefully shift the weight around, trade between braking and steering etc. That's entertaining enough already personally.

Sadly old fashioned stick shift is dying. Autoblipping on modern DCT has made a lot of the traditional fancy footwork obsolete.

Which is why I plan on keeping my car for a very long time.

No electron left behind.

part of the fun of an older car is fixing it up - either as stock, period-correct, or hot-rod (mine has a few hundred pounds removed and the hp doubled)

I suspect there will always be new cars with stick shifts but maybe not in the supercar range.  The Miata is a great little sports car and a lot of fun, tho I'd prefer a CF bodied update about the size of the Austin Bug-eye Sprite...

DSP allows good quality audio in a difficult space...

6 hours ago, accwai said:

In a decade, likely nobody will be doing any driving at all.

One doesn't have to buy self-driving cars. There are always used cars like Alfas, Porsches, Ferraris, Maseratis even C5-C7 'Vettes, Mustangs and Camaros and old E-Types or Aston Martins. Not to mention MGs, Triumphs, Even the odd Fiat X1/9 or Morgan. If you want to drive, there will be cars around that one can drive for many decades to come.  

George