IGNORED

A (Slightly Early) Christmas DAC Story Part One

Yeah. Step 1 was add power and change and strengthen the gearing because Porsche used a gearbox barely able to cope with the stock HP, which is why they started breaking. Step 2 is reduce weight. However, the 911 RSR has AC so I decided you can have my AC when you can rip it from my cold dead hands. I think I would either start towing it to the track, or just listen to the sweet sound coming out the exhaust.

No electron left behind.

How long will it take your hands to chill down after death?

--------

I just got back from a drive (post oil change).  Because it is an old car with a primitive (but fun) suspension articulation, I have limited the power to wt. ratio to abou 8:1.  I have a dual outlet "cowhorn" type muffler as part of the audio system, but plan to add an amp to drive the Focal speakers I put in the doors some years ago.

14 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

you know... I was thinking acceleration (to move blood from the extremities or to them) but decided not to post

it's really a regional heterothermy issue...

Ah yeah I get it, as in how much blood was moved to my hands by the rapid deceleration. ha.  I was thinking along the lines of how much would I be sweating inside my driving gloves before I went into the trees.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

to get back OT - I still need a cheap DAC that sounds like $15k

Okay, I have a very strong suggestion there for you.  I know of a DAC that is an absolute steal at the moment. The only caveat is that it can't do DSD, so if that's important to you, then it's not for you.

The DAC I'm referring to is the superb, yet almost unknown Modwright Elyse. This superb DAC is almost unknown because Modwright released it literally  just as the DSD craze was hitting and it doesnt do DSD.  You may recall that Modwright was famous for modding Sony and Oppo cd players and bringing them to equal $10,000.00 players for less than half the price. They are geniuses with digital, and the Elyse is a DAC that sold for over $7k just a few years ago, and was rated well in compared  it to far more expensive DAC's two and three times its price.  If cd/pcm sound is what is important to you, then the Elyse is simply stunning. There is one on Audiogon right now for $2,750.00 which is outright robbery. . People are giving these away for only two minor reasons, one, the lack of DSD, and two, the only other thing to be aware of is that the Elyses uses a older USB standard that requires either a network player with Windows drivers, or a good USB to SPDIF converter. Otherwise, they are simply beautiful DAC's (one of the best looking ones I've seen) superb sounding, incredibly well built, with a great tube complement that can be upgraded for not  a lot of money, and takes things to another entire level.

JC

Thanks.  That one has a few weeks left to run; I do see they are going for about that price in general.

I was just thinking I might get the soon to be released Yggy with an upgrade tho I'd like DSD.

What other DACs have you compared the Modwright Elyse to?

18 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Thanks.  That one has a few weeks left to run; I do see they are going for about that price in general.

I was just thinking I might get the soon to be released Yggy with an upgrade tho I'd like DSD.

What other DACs have you compared the Modwright Elyse to?

PS Audio DirectStream

Holo Audio Spring Kitsune Tuned Level 3

Mytek Manhattan

Lampizator Big 7

JC

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Doc, if you have the Bose system that Porsche offers, I completely understand your desire to rip it out. Sounded terrible in my Cayman S. 

JC

Luckily the guy that ordered this GT4 and I are very alike, he also found no worth in either of the stereo options, so it has the standard system that comes with the Nav which is still outclassed by my phone and Google Maps.

IIRC a stereo delete was an option with these cars when they were new, so removing the stereo should be easy as physically removing it and then hooking the car up to a Porsche maintenance and diagnostic computer and setting it to radio delete operation, or whatever its called, to prevent the cars computer from going haywire.

No electron left behind.

Thanks for the DAC info.

Is it legal to use a phone while driving?  In Oregon, you cannot use one for any reason now... (headsets ok).

You could just remove the amp(s) - the speakers aren't likely to weigh much - or remove any bass speakers.

What you really want is to recruit a guy named Gordon Murray to build you a car... he is working on a city car made of CF now tho.