IGNORED

I am new into this and got a few questions...

Macoleco

Question

I am new into this and I am planning on buying a Sony NW-WM1A .I got a few questions:

1. Besides the quality of the DAP, what else improves the sound? The earbuds and the type of music file?

2. Is there a huge difference between a mp3 file and a FLAC file?

3. What happens if I play a mp3 file on the DAP? Will it sound still better than listening the same file on a regular computer or device?

4. Where do you guys buy music in Hi Res in general? I like japanese music so I would like find a place where I can get it (legal or illegal).

5. Do all modern artists have FLAC versions of their music? Or is it only a few?

6.  What headphones/earbuds do you recommend? Any budget is fine.

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

1) Earbuds/headphones will make a huge difference

2) yes, the best mp3 is a 320kbps file. A standard CD is 1411kbps. Once compressed into a lossy mp3, those missing bits can never be recovered. FLAC is a lossless compression scheme that allows the full 1411kbps to be resolved, or even more for higher resolution music.

3) I am sure it will play, and sound better, but not as good as a lossless file.

4)I have no idea where to get Japanese Music of any sort, sorry.

5) Probably not all, but a lot do.

6) no idea, what do you want to spend, do you have any preferences?

No electron left behind.

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

4)I have no idea where to get Japanese Music of any sort, sorry.

Even BluSpec and SHM  and numerous other items.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

31 minutes ago, Macoleco said:

I have been lurking cdjapan for a while but I cant find any digital music...  Only physical CDs

In which case, if there are no other alternatives, you may have to purchase physical media and rip them yourself

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, wakajazz said:

6) I use Shure SE535 IEM’s with my NW-WM1A and find the combination highly engaging... It is a highly personal choice however.

I dont doubt it.

I own the Shure SE435 IEM and find them excellent for travel purposes. Very good isolation, even on an airplane.

But for at home use, I step it up a bit using Mr Speakers Alpha Prime and a Benchmark DAC1 USB. The difference is night and day better but its not good a good choice for travel by any means.

I say get a set of Headphones for both occasions.