IGNORED

Improving USB signal to Mytek Liberty

Tom Rowe

Question

My setup is fairly basic and is as follows:

• LAN Networked iMac with significant itunes-based music library, both lossless and lossy on a typical 2 T external hard drive.
  • Standard Roon software on the iMac
  • New Mytek Liberty connected to iMac by USB cable
  • Liberty to Rotel 1590 Preamlifier to Rotel Amp to B&Ws

I had previously been streaming from the Mac to an Apple TV  - obviously with the Mytek's capabilities of accomodating the HiRes files in my library and the Sabre DAC to say the sound has improved is an understatement.

My questions is this: I want to ensure that the signal going into the Liberty is optimized. Assume I have no issues with proximity vis a vis a need to get the iMac out of the same room.  Should I think about:

• Something along the lines of the MicroRendu and source my library from the network with an optimzed signal from that to Liberty? or, 
  • THink about something along the lines of the Uptone ISO Regen to simply optimize the USB connection to the Liberty?

12 answers to this question

What you have is just fine. You need only think about enjoying the Mytek.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:47 AM, Tom Rowe said:

THink about something along the lines of the Uptone ISO Regen to simply optimize the USB connection to the Liberty?

I would see if another member in your area is willing to loan you an Iso Regen.

Try and keep the USB cable no longer than necessary and preferably a well known brand name such as Belkin.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Yes keeping it as short as possible is good advice. 

Or use an active extender if you need length.  These work well even at 50 ft. 

I don't expect problems at 6 ft.  The data will get there fine. 

Belkin gold is indeed a good choice. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

@beerandmusic OP already bought a Liberty, resale on these is about $500 doubt he is going to take a loss to move to a different DAC unless he bought from a retailer that accepts returns. The Liberty is actually fairly good on USB in once you clean up the jitter on the USB in and add an external LPS to replace the internal switching power supply. The fact that you need the add ons doesn't make it good value though IMO. And like the Brooklyn DAC+ the Liberty has the Sabre glare on the optical input. Having owned both the Liberty and DAC+ I would prefer the Liberty with Schitt Eitr and Uptone JS-2 LPS to a base Brooklyn DAC+.

2 hours ago, Tom Rowe said:

I just bought an Audioquest Cinnamon, 10ft.  

Do those have official USB certifications?

I agree with the suggestion to use a networked streamer. I used the USB output of my iMac for years. Thought it sounded pretty good. But 6-months ago I purchased a SoTM SMS200 network streamer and it definitely improved my dac's sound.

You plug the SoTM SMS200 into your network router via a Ethernet cable. The device works like a mini-linux computer that is optimized for delivering audio quality USB. Roon recognizes it as a network device, like it would another computer.

Then with your Mytek connected via USB to the SoTM you deliver vastly improved USB data to the Mytek. Also, the length of the Ethernet cable is irrelevant. So, you can put it next to your Mytek and use a short USB cable to connect the DAC rather than a long one.

There are other brands of this kind of device. The Sonore microRendu is one. And, so is the Pro-ject network streamer mentioned above. Also, many folks use a quasi-diy solution with a Allo board attached to a Raspbbery PI 3 SBC computer. Link: https://www.allo.com/network-audio-player.html

In short, an Ethernet networked AUDIOPHILE USB solution is vastly better than the USB on your Mac that is generalized for dozens of non-audio uses.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR