IGNORED

Telegartner and Metz plugs

I’ve been trying to get substantive info on the Telegartner RJ45 plugs for a few months now, or for that matter the Metz plugs, but only found people impressed with their serious looks and the commercial cables they came standard on, no real tests or SQ comparisons. One person thought they sounded much better, but was using an entirely different LAN cable as well, so no real help there.

At one point I wondered if they were just being used with boutique LAN cables because they look the business. It seems that the plugs are marketed by the manufacturers not primarily as better plugs but as plugs for "field use", to be used without recourse to crimping tools. Of course they're a bit pricey if that is the only benefit, since a crimper usually comes along with a technicians other kit.

I do note that the method of wiring up the plug does look like it would separate each wire well for better performance (crosstalk, etc.). I think the Telegartner looks a little better than Metz for separation and routing, but both seem a bit superior to crimp plugs. That being said, some plastic crimp plugs are 3-piece, offering a 2-stage means to control wire routing into the plug, though a bit fiddly and rather difficult to find in the UK unless at 2-5 times the price.

So... anyone know substantively why the Telegartner or Metz plugs are meant to perform better, or have SQ comparisons with and without on the same cable?