IGNORED

PlayClassics TRT Sound master file giveaway for CA members

Hi-

I'd love to give your fine recordings a listen.

Thanks

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, Mario Martinez said:

We will be happy to send a Gift Code to all CA members who would be willing to try the sound of our recordings on their systems.

These recordings are the product of an acoustic research project aimed at developing a truly transparent audio recording system. We have been working on this project for a few years now. We first posted here on CA on November 2015 to share the results we had back then and have been coming back to share all our developments ever since.

It has almost been a year since we posted our last calibration (version 3.0). At that time we had two different calibrations: 2.0 on the albums recorded with the old piano and 3.0 on the albums recorded with the new piano.

The results obtained with calibration 3.0 were not as good as expected. Some of you contacted us privately to give us you feedback (for which we are very grateful) and told us about the issues that you had. We tried to work on those issues and developed a couple of fixes but it did not seem to work. It looked like we had overlooked something that was throwing us off. For that reason we decided to drop version 3.0.

Since then, we have been working on a new calibration but this time we have followed the same path that took us to calibration 2.0. This time we did not end up with a different calibration for each piano. Instead we have created a calibration that works for both pianos and everything else on the stage. Now we have one calibration for all 12 albums (the old ones and the new ones).

We would like to offer to you our experimental demos (drums, flamenco, string quartet) plus four albums:

- "Iberia" so you can compare the new calibration (2.0a) vs the old one (2.0)
- "An evening with Riera" so you can hear the sound of the new piano
- "Mozart - Beethoven wind quintets" to hear the results with multiple instruments
- and one more album of your choice (you can see all our albums at http://www.playclassics.com)

All we want in exchange is to get as much feedback as possible. If everything goes as expected, we would like to end our research project to try to introduce our product to the market.

I love your recordings. Through the proper gear, your piano recordings sound like the piano is in the listening room with you. They do not sound like "recordings". This is very rare. I have experienced it a few times with recordings that I, myself have made, but never before in commercially released material. Count me in on your offer, and thanks.

For the forth album I'd like the "Romantic Spanish Guitar".

George

On 12/3/2018 at 1:30 PM, Mario Martinez said:

We will be happy to send a Gift Code to all CA members who would be willing to try the sound of our recordings on their systems.

These recordings are the product of an acoustic research project aimed at developing a truly transparent audio recording system. We have been working on this project for a few years now. We first posted here on CA on November 2015 to share the results we had back then and have been coming back to share all our developments ever since.

It has almost been a year since we posted our last calibration (version 3.0). At that time we had two different calibrations: 2.0 on the albums recorded with the old piano and 3.0 on the albums recorded with the new piano.

The results obtained with calibration 3.0 were not as good as expected. Some of you contacted us privately to give us you feedback (for which we are very grateful) and told us about the issues that you had. We tried to work on those issues and developed a couple of fixes but it did not seem to work. It looked like we had overlooked something that was throwing us off. For that reason we decided to drop version 3.0.

Since then, we have been working on a new calibration but this time we have followed the same path that took us to calibration 2.0. This time we did not end up with a different calibration for each piano. Instead we have created a calibration that works for both pianos and everything else on the stage. Now we have one calibration for all 12 albums (the old ones and the new ones).

We would like to offer to you our experimental demos (drums, flamenco, string quartet) plus four albums:

- "Iberia" so you can compare the new calibration (2.0a) vs the old one (2.0)
- "An evening with Riera" so you can hear the sound of the new piano
- "Mozart - Beethoven wind quintets" to hear the results with multiple instruments
- and one more album of your choice (you can see all our albums at http://www.playclassics.com)

All we want in exchange is to get as much feedback as possible. If everything goes as expected, we would like to end our research project to try to introduce our product to the market.

Have only had time to listen to the Albeniz Iberia so far and compare to the earlier version.
Version 2.0a  sounds slightly fuller and somehow sounds like the piano is a little "closer" to me. A little more not connected to the speakers, but existing in space in a room.  Not a dramatic difference, but noticeable when compared back to back for the same piece of music. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Mario, I would be happy hearing what changes you have made.  Still have all of the previous test files but appear to have misplaced the Polish Songs album. So my choice will be to replenish the enjoyable singing I remember it contained. 

Thank you again for your efforts.

This could very well be attributed to an unnoticed drop in connection on my end. "Riera" had issues/corrupted files (6-9, 13).  Very happy with what I did receive and only mention this to see if others had a similar issue.  Please don't issue another code if there is no issue with the files or packaging. You have been generous enough. 

"Polish Songs" is every bit as good as I remembered. 

Thank you rando. Do not worry, the codes are the easy part. You are the ones taking the time to listen and I am grateful for that. I am sending you a new code just in case you do want to try.

On the old albums (Iberia, Chopin polish songs, Songs of Paolo Tosti, Cabrera plays Debussy and Conversations) version 2.0 and 2.0a are extremely similar. Like firedog said, you can only tell if you listen back to back, otherwise they are almost identical.

We developed version 2.0 based on the instrument we had at that time (that would be what we refer to as the old piano) and it did a perfect job on those albums but it did show some problems on the drums and flamenco that we shared with you back then. So we decided to go one step forward and try to develop something that would solve those issues too.

It seemed impossible to go any further with the resources that we had so we decided to get a new piano to help us develop this new calibration.

So our goal now was to develop a new calibration that would work with the old piano and everything else (the new piano, the drums, flamenco, wind quintet and string quartet)

Why would we want to do this?

The goal of our research project was to develop a transparent audio recording system (stage+hall+recording chain) So if we can make one calibration work for all this instruments (two different pianos in two different locations on the stage, a string quartet, a wind quintet, a flamenco guitar and a drum set)  Not only would that have been a first time in the recording industry, but it would also be empirical proof of the transparency of our system.

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

On December 7, 2018 at 6:11 AM, Mario Martinez said:

The goal of our research project was to develop a transparent audio recording system (stage+hall+recording chain) So if we can make one calibration work for all this instruments (two different pianos in two different locations on the stage, a string quartet, a wind quintet, a flamenco guitar and a drum set)  Not only would that have been a first time in the recording industry, but it would also be empirical proof of the transparency of our system.

Is there a preferred playback volume for this calibration, Mario?