Jump to content
rickca

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Simple tips also, i have nothing against any geeky tips for those who can, anything that furthers a development should be encouraged.

Id love a custom low latency stock trading server blade.

To me though its as useful as a half built  ikea coffee table..

 

Greenleo's on the fly guide is a great contibution. Always there are many tiered groups in a thread, we have an evil twin thread already to cater for the analysis, debunking and electrical attributes. This should be a great companion  to the main thread.

Thanks @rickca

Good luck..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you try AL/RPI3 as I did, you may run into limitations. I could only get the 32 bit version to work for Roonbridge with greater than CD quality by using the overclocking config

remarked out in config.txt. The 32 bit AL image sounds great but you can hear "graininess" on cymbals and massed strings, an area where the better hardware of a microRendu

sounds cleaner.  In email with Piero he advised that 64 bit did not have overclocking support, and that for AL faster processor improves sound so I intend

to pass on getting the 64 bit client working, moving on next to a Celeron or Pentium NUC for endpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Greenleo, good news.

You convinced to to go for it and just won a second fanless i3 NUC for the server. Still more clueless than fanless..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some settings should be universally applicable for many distros, though there are others hardware-specific ones and obviously we've gotta get the matching motherboard / server etc. in order to apply those corresponding settings

 

Low Latency Performance Tuning for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
https://access.redhat.com/sites/default/files/attachments/201501-perf-brief-low-latency-tuning-rhel7-v1.1.pdf

 

Linux on Power – low latency tuning
https://developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/docs/linux-on-power-low-latency-tuning/

 

Configuring and tuning HPE ProLiant Servers for  low-latency applications
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01804533

 

How to Enable Dell Processor Acceleration Technology
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/mvbsdt1/sln156702/how-to-enable-dell-processor-acceleration-technology

https://vinfrastructure.it/2017/09/dell-processor-acceleration-technology-pat/

 

Analysis: Inside Supermicro's Hyper-Speed HFT Server
https://intelligenttradingtechnology.com/blog/analysis-inside-supermicros-hyper-speed-hft-server

 

New Generation Servers Optimized for Extreme Low-Latency Trading
https://www.supermicro.com/white_paper/white_paper_Low_Latency_Server.pdf

 

Low Latency/Jitter Optimization  User’s Guide
https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/Hyper-Speed/low_lat_jitter_opt_guide.pdf

 

Basically they're optimizing each system to suit the requirements of high-frequency trading, therefore it's a just matter minimizing the number of active cores while maximizing the the clock speed of CPU. Of course we've gotta find out if that kinda settings would also work for Roon / LMS / HQP or otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As most AL users strive to have AL in RAM it would be nice to have AL started using Netboot. Thus booting over ethernet.

It will be somewhat harder to configure, but this way you will not have to manually remove the USB thumb drive (or in my case the USB SSD drive)

I've done this a long time ago, to load an entire OS from the network. The bootloader and the drives were on my NAS. I did configure a LUN and some iSCSI drives if memory serves me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, afrancois said:

As most AL users strive to have AL in RAM it would be nice to have AL started using Netboot. Thus booting over ethernet.

It will be somewhat harder to configure, but this way you will not have to manually remove the USB thumb drive (or in my case the USB SSD drive)

I've done this a long time ago, to load an entire OS from the network. The bootloader and the drives were on my NAS. I did configure a LUN and some iSCSI drives if memory serves me.

 

Agreed, that would be an elegant solution. I’d love to know how to configure this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used etcher (on Windows 10) rather than rufus to create my bootable USB thumb drive with AL.  Just download the .gz file, use 7-zip to extract the .img, and point etcher to the .img and your USB thumb drive.  It works perfectly.  I booted the USB thumb drive on my Macbook Pro just to make sure it worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are using an older non UEFI PC with AL you will need to run LXQT version 2.19. In this case you can use Rufus to image a USB connected SSD drive

then connect the drive normally as internal SATA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 6:30 PM, greenleo said:

Hi L&L and other CAers,

 

A new version of AL lxqt is coming.  This version will greatly simplify the basic operations of the AL in GUI mode.  I'm testing it and also trying thing that CAers here or CAers in the "mother" thread may find interesting.  Will report if new things come up and produce a walk through with images if possible.

 

Regards.

It would be nice if LXQT had a reboot option that switched  headless <> GUI. Far easier to make/save changes in GUI mode than to do it all through command line

in headless, than switch back to headless/no GUI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davide256 said:

It would be nice if LXQT had a reboot option that switched  headless <> GUI. Far easier to make/save changes in GUI mode than to do it all through command line

in headless, than switch back to headless/no GUI.

Headless and lxqt are different things.  Larry mentioned in the "mother" thread that it's very difficult to make an lxqt a headless.  I asked him there and that's his reply.

 

Anyway, headless is used as an endpoint and the lxqt used as an control PC.  In this case, there is no reason to switch back and and fro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greenleo said:

Headless and lxqt are different things.  Larry mentioned in the "mother" thread that it's very difficult to make an lxqt a headless.  I asked him there and that's his reply.

 

Anyway, headless is used as an endpoint and the lxqt used as an control PC.  In this case, there is no reason to switch back and and fro.

All headless means is that there are no drivers for input/output peripherals... you access the OS remotely over IP connection. WIth LXQT you do have

the added overhead of more drivers loaded  but you can just physically unplug the input devices and you can disable the GUI from loading. 

I'm running LXQT as Roon endpoint on Raspberry Pi and I have the same option with PC.

The main disadvantage of LXQT is it requires more RAM... my RAM disk consumes 8gb of RAM for OS and Roon database. You have to jettison the peripherals

driver database (headless)to get AL to run on only 8GB of RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, greenleo said:

CAers,

 

I've just learnt how to make a network bridge.  It took Piero and me a long time, many thanks for Piero.  Hope that a walk through may be produced in a few days.  Lots of command has been used.  I need to organize my thoughts and think the screen captures needed.  Hope that it can be done in a few days.

 

Hi greenleo, the procedure for setting up the network bridge in AudioLinux lqxt and headless had already been stated in the AL website. A detailed guide can also be found in the following web link in the website:

http://www.audio-linux.com/html/bridge.html

 

Piero had already stated the procedure quite explicitly there. But you may probably want to elaborate on it or share your experience, if you wish. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, davide256 said:

All headless means is that there are no drivers for input/output peripherals... you access the OS remotely over IP connection. WIth LXQT you do have

the added overhead of more drivers loaded  but you can just physically unplug the input devices and you can disable the GUI from loading. 

I'm running LXQT as Roon endpoint on Raspberry Pi and I have the same option with PC.

The main disadvantage of LXQT is it requires more RAM... my RAM disk consumes 8gb of RAM for OS and Roon database. You have to jettison the peripherals

driver database (headless)to get AL to run on only 8GB of RAM

You may login to headless directly and change the options.  Not necessarily remote.  I do this often.

 

The beauty of headless as an endpoint is that electrial noises may be reduced as far as possible.  I do not use Roon, hence no further input.  I use HQP in the lxqt, the control PC to the headless, the audio PC that runs the NAA and find the SQ very satisfying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, simonklp said:

 

Hi greenleo, the procedure for setting up the network bridge in AudioLinux lqxt and headless had already been stated in the AL website. A detailed guide can also be found in the following web link in the website:

http://www.audio-linux.com/html/bridge.html

 

Piero had already stated the procedure quite explicitly there. But you may probably want to elaborate on it or share your experience, if you wish. Cheers.

Thank you Simon.  

 

My walk through intended would be more verbose, with more checking or images illustrated.  To me, wordy things for laymen (like me) are very scary.  Piero helped me a lot and I promised that I'll share the knowledge with the CAers as a feedback.

 

As a matter of fact, I didn't know that a guide already exist.  I'll withdraw my walkthrough now as it's no longer necessary. 

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Thank you Simon.  

 

My walk through intended would be more verbose, with more checking or images illustrated.  To me, wordy things for laymen (like me) are very scary.  Piero helped me a lot and I promised that I'll share the knowledge with the CAers as a feedback.

 

As a matter of fact, I didn't know that a guide already exist.  I'll withdraw my walkthrough now as it's no longer necessary. 

 

Cheers

 

Hi greenleo, you have a great idea of providing a detailed procedure with more checking and images illustrated. Kindly please feel free to do so.

 

It had also taken me (layman as well) quite some time to pick up the wordy procedure.

 

It would be a pity if you withdraw your walkthrough now, since it could be a nice contribution to the other followers.

 

Thanks and regards,

Simon

 

Edited by simonklp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×