IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

I did it the other way around. I had a spare LPS S booster 13v with a quad cable Ifi DC MOD. Removing the fan made a difference to my ears. Subtle but there...

Power is the main factor and a lovely job you have done with your PSU.

Have you considered adding Linear LDOs on your outputs? Ldovr for example?

Many people seem happy with thier addition of a low noise regulator. Not all of us can afford some of the better LPS's, i wish i could make one Boneman.

Thanks for posting it here.

Dave ?

11 hours ago, Middy said:

I did it the other way around. I had a spare LPS S booster 13v with a quad cable Ifi DC MOD. Removing the fan made a difference to my ears. Subtle but there...

Power is the main factor and a lovely job you have done with your PSU.

Have you considered adding Linear LDOs on your outputs? Ldovr for example?

Many people seem happy with thier addition of a low noise regulator. Not all of us can afford some of the better LPS's, i wish i could make one Boneman.

Thanks for posting it here.

Dave ?

Thanks for the kind words.  I actually never thought about adding LDOs to the output.  I had built a 5V version of the o11 LPS for my RPi3 and it seemed to be tightly regulated although I never tested the consistency of the outputs.

20180421_095506.jpg

FLAC and AIF files mainly 192/24 and lower on Synology DS412 4x4Tb WD Red  in SHR2>direct ethernet to NUC>Intel NUC5PPYH w/JR Media 20 Akasa Newton P fanless case and DIY o11 LPS>Straightwire USB cable>W4S Recovery w/LPS>W4S DAC2DSD V2 w/Femto clock>Kimber Silver Streak balanced>Balanced Audio Technology VK3000SE>Kimber Monocle XL>Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders

16 hours ago, boneman said:

I used it unchanged for a month and then I went with a Akasa fanless case.  Surprisingly the sonic change was negligible with the case change.

Thanks for the feedback boneman.  Just out of interest: What is the N3700's usage percentage during normal playback?  (task manager/performance).  Did the fan spin at all/ much with music before you changed the case over?  Thanks

@austinpop Thank you for the additional impressions. May I ask where you ended up with your end point SqueezeLite parameter settings?  (your /etc/squeezelite.conf )

I've just stood up my NUC7CJYH as a Roon Bridge end point, and want to experiment with the Roon Server/SqueezeLite end point configuration that you developed (alas, I confess that the myriad of SqueezeLite parameters are all still pig latin to me)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

After contacting cirrus7 computing in Germany I got the answer that they don´t expect any i3, i5 or i7 to work with the LPS 1.2 because those CPUs have higher power peaks than Celeron and Pentium. But he expects the NUC NUC7PJYH with the Pentium J5005 to work fine with the LPS 1.2. So I am going to order this NUC instead for the NUC7CJYH from them. It´s more expensive than buying a NUC and an Akasa case and fiddling myself, but it´s worth it for me.

38 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Not on mine. I think @lmitche found a TDP 10W mode, which is not on my BIOS, so you may have to do it through another OS first. Plus he had to turn off a LOT of stuff. 

If in the bios you have power/primary power settings, then enabling 'low power mode' (if you have it) might reduce it to 10w?  Just a guess but probably wrong..?

10 minutes ago, John769 said:

If in the bios you have power/primary power settings, then enabling 'low power mode' (if you have it) might reduce it to 10w?  Just a guess but probably wrong..?

Yes, that's right. Also run 4gb of ram, disable every circuit you can and it may boot on the lps1.2. It's inconsistent at best here, so I'm not recommending this.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

3 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

@austinpop Thank you for the additional impressions. May I ask where you ended up with your end point SqueezeLite parameter settings?  (your /etc/squeezelite.conf )

I've just stood up my NUC7CJYH as a Roon Bridge end point, and want to experiment with the Roon Server/SqueezeLite end point configuration that you developed (alas, I confess that the myriad of SqueezeLite parameters are all still pig latin to me)

Yes, this is the reality of NUC-world. It's a bit wild west. 

As regards squeezelite, the main parameter for SQ is the -b one for preallocated buffers. I was lucky that my first experiment with AL was on a Zenith SE that already used squeezelite as its internal player. I was able to duplicate the settings in the existing conf file.

Other than that it's trial and error and forums! I can try and help out, but no guarantees. First, get me a few key things:

• install squeezelite (not R2) from the AL guide
  • amount of RAM on your NUC?
  • Run squeezelite -l and tell me your output
  • Do you care about DSD? Does your DAC require DoP?

We'll go from there.

10 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes, that's right. Also run 4gb of ram, disable every circuit you can and it may boot on the lps1.2. It's inconsistent at best here, so I'm not recommending this.

mmm. Received  NUC7PJYH  last nite, straight forward to configure it for USB boot, disable unused peripherals, and get AL headless up and running in RAM as Roonbridge.

But not finding it to be an improvement from overclocked Pi3b+/AL/LPS 1.2 so far; sounds like an improved version of microRendu for detail but tone colors and dynamics

don't "pop" like they do with RPI3. Ran it off 19/12V for HDplex, but could not get it to complete  boot on 12V/ LPS 1.2. Appreciate suggestions above, would really like to

see if  better PS solves.

Also 2 simple questions

1) does it matter which USB port is used for boot?

2) does it matter which port is used for asynch USB connection?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

1) does it matter which USB port is used for boot?

2) does it matter which port is used for asynch USB connection?

I'd use the rear ports for output (not sure if the front ports are connected via cables).

I would disconnect the fan, If no luck check if there's a low power setting in bios.

46 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

I'd use the rear ports for output (not sure if the front ports are connected via cables).

I would disconnect the fan, If no luck check if there's a low power setting in bios.

Was able to get it to boot and play with LPS 1.2 using BIOS power settings... set sustained power limit to 10 watts and burst to 12 watts.  Believe this uses Intel Speed Step to

throttle CPU's, suspect it would sound better if this wasn't needed/used. But it does sound better  now that I can use LPS 1.2, dynamics are improved, still evaluating bass.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

When in headless mode and I run alconf and chose option #1 "Save system (If in ram mode)" does this mean that if I run that script it will save my settings if my USB drive is still in place?

So what happens if I am in ram mode, pull the USB drive and then make a change? Is that something that basically only affects that session and is gone when I reboot?

I assume that if I am not in ram mode and I make a change it will always be saved to my USB drive for the next boot?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 minute ago, mourip said:

When in headless mode and I run alconf and chose option #1 "Save system (If in ram mode)" does this mean that if I run that script it will save my settings if my USB drive is still in place?

So what happens if I am in ram mode, pull the USB drive and then make a change? Is that something that basically only affects that session and is gone when I reboot?

I assume that if I am not in ram mode and I make a change it will always be saved to my USB drive for the next boot?

I was playing with this last night.  the alconf option 1 invokes a script to copy things back to the USB.  If you are in RAM mode and the USB is removed, the script basically errors out.  If the USB is inserted and you're in RAM mode, the changed files will be copied back to the USB while you continue to run out of RAM.

If you're not in RAM mode, the changes you're making are direct to the USB and available for the next reboot

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

I have installed the new 3.0 version of Audiolinux  and am very pleased with the SQ improvement over the previous version.  I'm using a NUC7PJYH with the latest BIOS upgrade, recommended BIOS settings (including HPET), with 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM (both showing active in BIOS settings). 

My problem is: In the older version of lqxt, I used to get a prompt before the completion of the start up program loading that would enable me to load the operating system into RAM by entering "Y."  In the new program, that prompt doesn't appear, and when I select "RAMROOT enable" in Expert Settings, nothing happens ( eg no dialog box pops up to confirm that RAMBOOT is enabled).  I click on "SAVE" and it grays (indicating that it is processing the script).  Eventually the greyed SAVE icon regains it's coloring (meaning that it has completed it's script), and I reboot the system.  Still, I get no option during the next start up program loading that would enable me to load the operating system into RAM, and if I later remove the USB operating system stick, the system locks up and must be rebooted from scratch all over again.

What do I need to be doing differently?    

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

8 hours ago, John769 said:

Thanks for the feedback boneman.  Just out of interest: What is the N3700's usage percentage during normal playback?  (task manager/performance).  Did the fan spin at all/ much with music before you changed the case over?  Thanks

Again, this is with JRMedia and Win10, CPU utilization is generally under 3% except when the album to be played is selected at which time it goes up to 20% before subsiding back.

Fan was on low setting via the BIOS.  It did come on, not sure there is a totally passive mode in the default settings.

FLAC and AIF files mainly 192/24 and lower on Synology DS412 4x4Tb WD Red  in SHR2>direct ethernet to NUC>Intel NUC5PPYH w/JR Media 20 Akasa Newton P fanless case and DIY o11 LPS>Straightwire USB cable>W4S Recovery w/LPS>W4S DAC2DSD V2 w/Femto clock>Kimber Silver Streak balanced>Balanced Audio Technology VK3000SE>Kimber Monocle XL>Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders

@greenleo

Hi mate, it is a little brute force but controlled in my case. It was pushing Mobo away left and pulling the case away to the right. Fingers on both hands together 

I pushed the mobo back against the where connectors protrudes.

Pull the plastic and metal side away from the mobo. This starts to give some space to tease it out.. 

Take a picture of connectors and ensure they are all undone.

Its really a 3 hand job...  i should have made a little tool. A small piece of wire with a little 'L, so it can go into a mother board screw hole in the pcb to help lift it out.

My board was fiddly, just have a little patients, try and judge reaction. Check try again... 

Good luck  mate hope it helps a little..?

@austinpop i saw your case much better the Celeron. It looks machined from solid and anodised in the video.

Space for some little cable mods from stock, shielding probabilities

. Apologies if i worried anyone, i post for the cluless just to give basic advice, As in the main so am i..More as early posts mentioned scary heat from extreme mode.

Just happy you're  happy my friend. That's the main thing on here.

A nice early xmass gift..??????⌨??