IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

26 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Sorry, it is a typo in 0.5. Not instead of now.... It will be corrected soon.

You can check status... rebooting

Ah...

When you say "You can check status... rebooting" do you mean that I should reboot for it to take effect or does it take effect immediately and show status the next time I reboot??

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Is anyone using wireless on their NUC?  My wireless card in my MBP supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSIDs just fine when running MacOS.  When I boot AL headless 0.5 the 5 GHz SSID doesn't show up in the list of network names.  Can anyone assist with troubleshooting?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 minutes ago, rickca said:

Is anyone using wireless on their NUC?  My wireless card in my MBP supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSIDs just fine when running MacOS.  When I boot AL headless 0.5 the 5 GHz SSID doesn't show up in the list of network names.  Can anyone assist with troubleshooting?

when you booted in EFI did you see the option to input wireless password. It doesn't last long and needs to be input otherwise AL won't see it..

Also there is a guide to setting up wireless somewhere but I can't locate it... as far as I remember you need to add something (code) to AL

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 minute ago, tapatrick said:

when you booted in EFI did you see the option to input wireless password

No I never saw such an option. The 2.4 GHz wireless works fine, it's just that I can't see my 5 GHz SSID.  I'd prefer to use 5 GHz.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

6 minutes ago, rickca said:

No I never saw such an option. The 2.4 GHz wireless works fine, it's just that I can't see my 5 GHz SSID.  I'd prefer to use 5 GHz.

I see, so you have the 2.4 GHz wireless working in AL okay?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

6 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I see, so you have the 2.4 GHz wireless working in AL okay?

Correct.  If you can find that guide to wireless, it might be really helpful.

Just now, rickca said:

Correct.

Cool. I must have a different model/OS combo. You can probably ignore what I suggest then.. :)

30 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Cool. I must have a different model/OS combo. You can probably ignore what I suggest then.. :)

Remember, I don't have a NUC yet.  I'm preparing my USB flash drive on a mid-2012 retina MBP.  Clearly, the wireless card in the NUC will be different and I might not have the same problem.

My 5 GHz works perfectly when running MacOS even on the high channel numbers, but not with AL.

I'm working with Piero on this now and I will post the resolution if I get it working.  Probably some device driver or firmware that I'm missing.

After a frustrating afternoon, Piero helped me out in getting my NUC/DAC LMS/Squeezelite setup onto my Windows PC network. Thanks to him I would have had to go back to class & I am 10 yrs retired!

Also many thanks to @austinpop for the squeezelite buffers setting tip. So I ended up with

parameters="-o front:CARD=<..>,DEV=0 -b 2097152:2097152"

Nice!

Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb - one card did not work (NUC7PJYH). I checked on the Intel Product Compatibility website and this is one of two part nos. that is listed as:.. may not be compatible.. (even though one of them seemed fine).

I settled for Kingston KVR.. 1x8GB- works great!

5 hours ago, clipper said:

You didn't pull out the USB flash drive, did you?

If so, you can't do that until you "Enable ramroot."

Thanks for asking, NO I didn't pull the USB flash drive. I just realized that I was using an older version of AL. I will download the latest AL 05 version and try again. 

Ok I made some progress, downloaded the 05 version of AL and installed it on my Acer laptop. I was able to select NAA from the menu. so there was no issue with the command "alconf"

But then I realized that I have no clue how to connect my laptop to a network. I was following Greenleo guide, but didn't find anything on how to connect to a network. I will check the instructions on AL website, but if anyone knows the command, that will be very helpful.

Apologies all, late night posting on other thread was a bit rambling.

We don't need a high spec Graphics chip to show a GUI. CUBA offloaded excluded. But 4K out ? No

If you can overclock in linux you can underclock also. Ie reduce voltage/GPU clock speed. Ie noise and heat.

A lunix expert can google.

'overclock nvidia linux command line.'

And figure out if under clocking adds SQ or makes Extreme mode more viable.

A more simple solution....for heat only

8 -12 small thin metal washers.

Remove side covers. 

Place washers on screw holes

Add side plate and refit screws

1-2 mm gap for air flow.

Even bottom cover can be spaced.

Or get the drill out...

I hope this helps

Dave

3 hours ago, mozes said:

But then I realized that I have no clue how to connect my laptop to a network. I was following Greenleo guide, but didn't find anything on how to connect to a network. I will check the instructions on AL website, but if anyone knows the command, that will be very helpful.

Just connect it to your router/switch with Ethernet cable.  You don't have to do anything.  Wireless is another thing altogether.