IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

10 hours ago, davide256 said:

Did not observe much difference between HDPlex 19v vs LPS1.2 12V powering NUC7PJYH connected to DDC, but when using an ISO Regen between NUC and DDC with 5v USB replace enabled, the difference between PS used for ISO Regen is  glaring

I suppose the LPS-1.2 was the better PS in the context, right?

Thank you @mansr for the correction/redirect, and thank you @vortecjr (and Google translate) for the link to the blog post (wow, that clears up a lot of things!)   Time to brush up on my Italian and revisit my notes from today.  Thanks again!

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

There is a very good write up in Italian (http://marcoc1712.it/?p=458) that explains the relationships of these settings in SqueezeLite. I prefer using ms settings because the duration of the buffer is consistent at all sample rates. Using bytes varies the buffer duration as the sample rate changes. At the end of the day the object of the game is to avoid buffer under runs or a buffer over runs. Having a large buffer increases the latency and having a large period makes the processor work more because it has to fill the bucket more often for any given buffer size.  

BTW This is all very easy to change on the Rendu series with a press of a button. On the Rendu series in Settings / SqueezeLIte if you just press Save you get SqueezeLite's default of 40 ms buffer and period of 4. Barrows has done some listening tests recently and prefers a 200 ms buffer and period count of 2. You can change these values at the risk of introducing dropouts and erratic playback behavior. Also, these values have limits as discussed in the write up. BTW these are just buffer settings between SqueezeLite and ALSA and not ALSA and your DAC...that is a whole other world of buffer fun which is DAC dependent.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 8.11.28 PM.png

The link vortecjr has provide is by Marco, developer of SqueezeLite R2 who is present at NextHardware.

He has also developed a simple tool to change buffer, period,... and test results.

I'm running SqueezeLite R2 1.8.4, but only because that was the first option on the AudioLinux install guide.  I haven't compared sound quality, but from the docs it looks like the functionality is aligned between R2 and the community version, but with different flags to enable.

squeezelite-R2

Lightweight headless squeezebox client emulator with 'native' DSD support (thanks to Daphile).

This is a modified version of squeezelite by Adrian Smith (Triode). At the moment of writing (October 2015), original code is here: https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/, master branch here is a clone.

This version was originally meant to inspect pcm header to detect the real samplerate, depth and endianess, in order to override the wrong information coming from the server when transcoding or upsampling.

October, 4 2015 R2 features has been incorporated in Daphile, March, 10 2016 in Audiolinux.

Since March, 15 2016 it's included in the squeezebox community version of squeezelite, mantained by Ralph Irving.

Download page: https://github.com/marcoc1712/squeezelite-R2/releases

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 hour ago, misterspense said:

Are you guys using the R2 version of Squeezelite, or the 1.9 version? Is there also a sound quality difference between them, or are they more related to the settings used, and the standard settings R2 and 1.9 come with?

I'm using the community "Ralph Irving" version. I had trouble getting R2 working, although it may have been resolvable with more effort. I also got confused with a seeming dependency on C-3PO, although that may have been a misunderstanding.

Piero now has links to both.

@ray-dude & @austinpop,

Awesome work guys and great discovery.

At the very real risk of pushing my luck it would be great if we could have a simple 'how to' guide for the technically incompetent (like me) showing how to set buffer size for:

Squeezelite endpoint

Roon bridge endpoint

And ideally in both the 4gb and 8gb flavours that are likely most prevalent.

The obvious question is whether the 4gb flavour has sufficient ram spare to make a difference in SQ via this buffer setting or whether 8gb is worth the investment?

Either way this is terrific stuff and an excellent area of exploration. Even if I need to read it twice in order to understand half of it! ?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Thanks @afrancois

I've spent the morning pottering and am admitting defeat. The i7DNBE is not willing to boot with either the LPS1.2 or the SPS-500.

I've switched off everything possible and disconnected everything possible and no dice. It just doesn't seem to like either.

Am thinking I'm gonna need to buy a new PSU (Sean Jacobs, HD Plex etc) but that's really annoying when I have a collection of PSU's at hand!

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

10 hours ago, bibo01 said:

He has also developed a simple tool to change buffer, period,... and test results.

Can you provide a link to this tool, please?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

25 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Look at the bright side, Extreme 2 mode of AL won't work with LPS-1.2 (12V × 1.1A = 13.2W) even if you're able to boot it up. OTOH, Dr. Jacobs' DC3 flagship PSU could provide 32W (i.e. 24V / 1.5A) so that should be OK

Yeah - I guess getting the opportunity to try a Sean Jacobs PSU would be nice. The one he did for the Zenith SE is outstanding.

Also I was stealing the LPS1.2 from my TX-USBUltra so this way I get to do direct comparisons with different configs before deciding what items make it into Big Als garage sale ?

Cheers,

Alan

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

So I have been scratching my head about this SQ boost running squeezelite with large input stream (from LMS) and output stream (to USB device, i.e. DAC) buffers. After all, think about these points:

1. In ramroot mode, the OS (i.e. the / filesystem) is loaded into a RAM disk (/dev/zram0)
  2. The squeezelite executable (the exe for you Windows types) is now living on the RAM disk at location /usr/bin/squeezelite, i.e. also on zram0
  3. When you "run" it, you create a new process, with its own virtual address space, and the loader starts loading pages from the file... which is already in memory!
  4. Once you start streaming the music, it looks like squeezelite has an input_stream buffer (receive from LMS/Roon) and an output_stream buffer (send to USB device, i.e. DAC/DDC)
  5. These buffers are also in memory. All that -b does is preallocate a large buffer from the get go.

So what is different about the default case (no -b) with the large buffer case? Why does the latter sound better? In both cases, all I/O is from memory already, or from the network.

Conclusions?

Well, there's still no explanation. Why does "large buffers" sound better? In all these cases, everything (OS, executables, runtime input and output buffers) is in memory. So what gives?

Well, one answer - from the user/listener perspective is: who cares!? If it sounds good, use it and enjoy!

From the designer's perspective, it's a head scratcher. Could it be that the things listed below result in lower "noise?"

• preloading the file in the first few seconds of playback quiesces the IRQ rate and IRQ processing during the rest of the track?
  • by preloading in a big gulp from the network, squeezelite is making system calls (socket send(), recv(), select() etc) at a much lower rate?
  • Even without large buffers, this workload runs at an astonishingly low CPU util. Here's one example in the RoonBridge case:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 5.38.01 PM.png
    and this is in the large buffer case:
    image.png

Ultimately I didn't find anything I can point to, that would suggest better SQ. Clearly, something about the system operation in the large buffer case sounds better.

Think of this possibly as an exercise in thermodynamics?  Where the goal is to reduce heat noise/ electrical activity during processing of audio data?

I continue to wonder how an audio renderer  would sound supercooled...

BTW, does Roon have any way you found to increase player/renderer track buffer used?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

48 minutes ago, MrUnderhill said:

Welcome to the jungle.

Thanks M!

that looks really tidy compared to my mess ?

Like your core set up,  mine is also is running around 37 degrees too with music playing in extreme mode after an hour. The only thing I did differently from your breakdown is I did wiggle the board in order to spread the thermal paste, carefully not to allow it to go on any circuits, only the heat sink. 

Interesting that my NUC endpoint runs at same temperature 36-37 degrees. I thought the core might run hotter as it’s doing more. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks @afrancois

I've spent the morning pottering and am admitting defeat. The i7DNBE is not willing to boot with either the LPS1.2 or the SPS-500.

I've switched off everything possible and disconnected everything possible and no dice. It just doesn't seem to like either.

Am thinking I'm gonna need to buy a new PSU (Sean Jacobs, HD Plex etc) but that's really annoying when I have a collection of PSU's at hand!

Cheers,

Alan

Thats weird. I used an sPS-500 set at 19v to first boot my NUC7i7DNBE before I made any BIOS changes.

When I get a chance, I’ll confirm it still works. 

What actually happens when you turn the NUC on? I’m assuming your sPS is truly on - you know that drill with the long press of the power button?

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thats weird. I used an sPS-500 set at 19v to first boot my NUC7i7DNBE before I made any BIOS changes.

When I get a chance, I’ll confirm it still works. 

What actually happens when you turn the NUC on? I’m assuming your sPS is truly on - you know that drill with the long press of the power button?

Hey Rajiv,

Interesting blend of helpful and insulting there my friend ?

Yes. The SPS-500 was on but thanks for that. Note to self, tone down the dumb questions a bit!

I was actually wondering if the DC barrel converter could be the issue. Inverting polarity or suchlike. I fished it out my box of cables and parts and am not sure of its exact provenance.

Because on paper the SPS-500 should defo have the power for a board that Intel specs as 15watt tdp.

Might try to find another DC barrel converter to rule that out before I commit to buying a PSU that costs the same as the NUC I'm pairing it with.

Cheers,

Alan

25 minutes ago, austinpop said:

What actually happens when you turn the NUC on?

Missed answering this.

The LPS1.2 flashes red from the second I connect it to the NUC.

The power button on the NUC does absolutely nothing with the SPS-500 connected.

Cheers,

Alan