IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

4 minutes ago, Monge said:

After Ramboot Enable In Al Headless 0.6 with Putty then I need to reboot. But whats the reboot command and where should I be.

Thanks Monge

Reboot with the command:
sudo reboot

I now have a Word document with all of the commands and tips from Piero's web site and the two threads here on CA. Very useful.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 minute ago, LTG2010 said:

That's probably the Tcase max temperature for a mobile CPU meaning once 72 C is reached the processor wil throttle ( reduce frequency) so that it doesn't go up any further. This will degrade the performance so ideally put it in a AKASA case to get it down to 42 C.

Clocks should be on all the time for best performance, it lessens the overall Crystals lifetime but we are talking 5 years +.

I will get the plato X7D. This must a very effective case if it gets it down to 42 °C passively.

2 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

and again.......and again.......and again...... etc.....etc.... thats why I'm stil on 0.3

In any event if you hear a difference between 0.3 and 0.6 its down to expectation bias ??

Someone mentioned hearing an uptick in SQ updating to AL 3.0 lxqt, but Piero said he's just trimmed it down and there should be no difference in SQ.

2 hours ago, mourip said:

Reboot with the command:
sudo reboot

I now have a Word document with all of the commands and tips from Piero's web site and the two threads here on CA. Very useful.

Thanks.

Now I could hear how my NUC7CJYH with ramboot enabled.

Wow...

Thanks to Roy, Larry, Piero and everyone Else here for all their hard work ?

I am using my Nuc as a Streamer for Tidal with MPD and UPnP enabled and installed with an Android Phone with Bubble UPnP App.

I ned another NUC for Roon core.

Cheers Monge

I have a Strange thing going on here with my NUC7CJYH with 2x4GB ram running AL Headless 0.6 with Ramboot Enabled (rebooted) with enabled MPD and UPnP services and installed.

I start the Bubble App and choose a playlist In Tidal and start playing. Then I pull the   

AL USB stick and the music keep playing but the startnumber on my Android Phone like freeze and I cant change number or playlist. But the music on the playlist keep playing. Only that I can not do anything to control it.

Cheers

15 minutes ago, afrancois said:

For those who are running headless and use a Windows machine.

I'm using Putty for remote login and WinSCP to navigate the AL filesystem.

WinSCP

image.thumb.png.30bfa3b82014f13af488c3f9e15f5c7a.png

It allows you to navigate the file system of an AL headless.

For example, by simply double-clicking on alconf in the /usr/bin folder you get the content in a Windows

Brilliant @afrancois,

I use WINSCP at work but hadn't occurred to me to use it to SSH into the NUC.

Would this work for transferring music to an AL NUC server?

Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

46 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Brilliant @afrancois,

I use WINSCP at work but hadn't occurred to me to use it to SSH into the NUC.

Would this work for transferring music to an AL NUC server?

Thanks,

Alan

It has also been a while since I have used WinSCP. My previous linux endeavors are far back in the past.

No problem copying files from my NAS to the NUC's memory (running AL in ramboot)

image.thumb.png.d846584c8fe8daadff6e40db13dda9af.png

Have also successfully mounted audiolinux/home/audiolinux/music in Roon.

Then I searched in Roon after Hells Bells and of course, I found two entries. Be right clicking on the icon right of the title you can query the file location. Take the one that's in memory and compare with the one coming from the NAS.

I haven't done the comparison yet. Perhaps put something more audiophile into the folder :-)

1 hour ago, afrancois said:

It has also been a while since I have used WinSCP. My previous linux endeavors are far back in the past.

No problem copying files from my NAS to the NUC's memory (running AL in ramboot)

image.thumb.png.d846584c8fe8daadff6e40db13dda9af.png

Have also successfully mounted audiolinux/home/audiolinux/music in Roon.

Then I searched in Roon after Hells Bells and of course, I found two entries. Be right clicking on the icon right of the title you can query the file location. Take the one that's in memory and compare with the one coming from the NAS.

I haven't done the comparison yet. Perhaps put something more audiophile into the folder ?

Can you open a file, edit it and then save it back to AL?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

@hifi25nl,

Some questions after reading: http://www.audio-linux.com/html/realtime.html

I’m running just Roon Bridge on my AL headless (0.6) NUC (it’s the endpoint) and I’m seeing these related processes :

root       544     1  0 17:41 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /opt/RoonBridge/start.sh

root       549   544  0 17:41 ?        00:00:01 RoonBridge --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridge.exe

root       590   549  0 17:41 ?        00:00:10 RoonBridgeHelper --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridgeHelper.exe

root       595   549  0 17:41 ?        00:00:00 /opt/RoonBridge/Bridge/processreaper 590

root       601   549  0 17:41 ?        00:00:39 RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe

In the rtapp.conf file (below) I see RoonBridge is listed but not RoonBridgeHelper or RAATServer. Since these have used more CPU time, would it be beneficial if I/we added those processes to the applications list?

Also I see —debug in the process list? Is that necessary or better said would it be ‘leaner and meaner’ to not use those switches?

Thanks in advance. If you’d like me to email you instead please tell me. It’s just that I though this might be beneficial to other users as well. :)

audiolinux@audiolinux ~]$ more /etc/rtapp/rtapp.conf

APPLICATIONS="jackd mpd hqplayer hqplayerd RoonAppliance RoonBridge mediacenter24 networkaudiod deadbeef a2jmidid ardour-5.12.0 rosegarden audacity"

MAX_PRIORITY="93"

MODE="autodec"

Some scripting with WinSCP to automate your flac file copies to memory

image.thumb.png.1eae4f997aa272589a5d7896f652009f.png

script1.bat

"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe" /log="D:\WinSCP-Script\WinSCP.log" /ini=nul /script="D:\WinSCP-Script\script1.txt

script1.txt

open scp://root:[email protected]/ -hostkey="ssh-ed25519 256 tdi7pWzRJyRudTOA16KV8KjKyiJf8CLFYqvVRwGKcUo="

option batch on
option confirm off 
option transfer binary

put d:\music-memory\* /home/audiolinux/Music/*.flac

exit

36 minutes ago, Dutch said:

@hifi25nl,

Some questions after reading: http://www.audio-linux.com/html/realtime.html

I’m running just Roon Bridge on my AL headless (0.6) NUC (it’s the endpoint) and I’m seeing these related processes :

root       544     1  0 17:41 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /opt/RoonBridge/start.sh

root       549   544  0 17:41 ?        00:00:01 RoonBridge --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridge.exe

root       590   549  0 17:41 ?        00:00:10 RoonBridgeHelper --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonBridgeHelper.exe

root       595   549  0 17:41 ?        00:00:00 /opt/RoonBridge/Bridge/processreaper 590

root       601   549  0 17:41 ?        00:00:39 RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe

In the rtapp.conf file (below) I see RoonBridge is listed but not RoonBridgeHelper or RAATServer. Since these have used more CPU time, would it be beneficial if I/we added those processes to the applications list?

Also I see —debug in the process list? Is that necessary or better said would it be ‘leaner and meaner’ to not use those switches?

Thanks in advance. If you’d like me to email you instead please tell me. It’s just that I though this might be beneficial to other users as well. :)

audiolinux@audiolinux ~]$ more /etc/rtapp/rtapp.conf

APPLICATIONS="jackd mpd hqplayer hqplayerd RoonAppliance RoonBridge mediacenter24 networkaudiod deadbeef a2jmidid ardour-5.12.0 rosegarden audacity"

MAX_PRIORITY="93"

MODE="autodec"

Good questions. I actually went ahead and added RAATServer (and squeezelite) to the list. Can't say it had an audible effect!

The --debug question is a very good one. I hadn't even noticed that.

2 minutes ago, gsquared said:

@Dev if I recall, you have the NUC8i7BEH, which is the model I have. 

I am running mine as a Roon server headless with AL + the Roon db in ram. I have a monitor hooked up while I get it fully configured, but I'm finding that it almost always throttles (cup clock throttled) - and it's just sitting idle. I have it running in Standard mode as well. Does yours typically throttle? I wonder if it's because I have my Roon db loaded into RAM as well.

@lmitche @austinpop any ideas how to solve this issue? I'm thinking about getting Optane memory to store the Roon files on to see if that solves the problem.

When you say "throttled" what do you mean? What metric are you referring to, and how are you measuring?

If on the off chance you are referring to 100% CPU utilization, then perhaps it's just the initial scanning of the library and the building of the Roon DB.

16 minutes ago, austinpop said:

When you say "throttled" what do you mean? What metric are you referring to, and how are you measuring?

If on the off chance you are referring to 100% CPU utilization, then perhaps it's just the initial scanning of the library and the building of the Roon DB.

On the monitor, it's showing rows of information that read "Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1), then several rows saying "Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = ?

Here's a screenshot:

IMG_6935.jpeg

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Deleted

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

10 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ahh - looks like a heat issue. Not had that myself. Hopefully others can elaborate.

Are you in a fanless case? 

No it's the stock case until Akasa makes a case that will work with this model.

@Dev have you experienced this with yours?