IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Dynaudio Music 1, 3, 5, 7 Speaker Review

More soundbars, I'm so excited. Not.  ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Interesting products. I would have to compare them directly to Bluesound which has a pretty mature app and is more fully Roon compatible (complete with synchronization.)

All of these, however are going to have to be as user friendly as Sonos to make a real dent in the market. Sonos has just done it so well, and it works so reliably I just could not recommend anything else to a non audiophile. 

All of this just makes me wish Slim Devices could have survived on their own. Squeezebox was just so far ahead of its time... 

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

On 11/28/2018 at 9:05 PM, Kelly said:

All of these, however are going to have to be as user friendly as Sonos to make a real dent in the market. Sonos has just done it so well, and it works so reliably I just could not recommend anything else to a non audiophile. 

Be brave!  Your friends will be rewarded with better sound and bigger smiles.  Srsly, the Naim interface, just for example, is easy enough for my wife who has zero patience for tech, and it looks like the Music is easy too.

Hi Chris, you wrote "it's as good or better than all other speakers in this HiFi category".  

What is your impression of how it compares with other high end all-in-one speakers like the Devialet Phantoms or Naim Muso?

This review would be very helpful if you could give us your assessment.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

8 hours ago, fheller said:

Is that device compatible with Roon?

Doesn't look like it.  Dynaudio makes some great products,  I own and love my Focus XD actives.   These Music Series units likely have an uphill battle to find market share,  comparatively short on features and an uber premium price in my view.   

From the spec sheet, looks like they support: 

Apple AirPlay, aptX Bluetooth streaming, Vtuner, Ximalaya, compatible local services

https://dynaudiodata.blob.core.windows.net/media/8208/dynaudio-music-product-insert-en.pdf

On 11/30/2018 at 7:22 AM, intensemojo said:

5 stars for soundbars?

I don’t understand your point. Can you clarify?

On 12/1/2018 at 4:56 AM, agentsmith said:

Hi Chris, you wrote "it's as good or better than all other speakers in this HiFi category".  

What is your impression of how it compares with other high end all-in-one speakers like the Devialet Phantoms or Naim Muso?

This review would be very helpful if you could give us your assessment.

Better sound than the Mu-so without question.

The phantom is a strange beast in my experience. It’s like an exercise in audio gymnastics with all the specs touted. I like the Dynaudio Music 7’s sound better than the Phantom but I’m sure some diehard Phantom fans will disagree. Perhaps two Phantoms in a stereo pair and some DSP to reign in the top end would produce better sound but then we’re talking a completely different thpe of system and use case. 

19 hours ago, fheller said:

Is that device compatible with Roon?

Roon compatible via AirPlay. In my experience this is totally fine because Roon resamples anything above 44.1 automatically so it falls within the AirPlay spec. If people are looking to an all-in-one speaker to reproduce their best 32 bit / 384 kHz at a reference level of quality, they’ll never be satisfied. With Roon Ready devices in my main system I demand full Roon support with all sample rates etc... For all-in-one speakers that I enjoy with my family and friends I demand great sound and ease of use. 

11 hours ago, TAV said:

Doesn't look like it.  Dynaudio makes some great products,  I own and love my Focus XD actives.   These Music Series units likely have an uphill battle to find market share,  comparatively short on features and an uber premium price in my view.   

Apple AirPlay, aptX Bluetooth streaming, Vtuner, Ximalaya, compatible local services

https://dynaudiodata.blob.core.windows.net/media/8208/dynaudio-music-product-insert-en.pdf

Plus DLNA. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My Impressions of the Phantoms as a Devialet D440 user is that it astounds with its low bass especially for its size, which I think can get tiring.  But its mid range is severely lacking.  it is mighty impressive with drum and bass or movies, but to me sounded lacklustre with vocal and classical music.

Love the innovation of the company but I think it has gone too far with its emphasis towards  the luxury goods market which i am sure is more lucrative than the high end audio market.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 3:25 AM, TAV said:

no roonready on the music7 here. You can connect a bluesound node2 and use the ‘music’ as active speakers.......or just buy two active speakers. Better sound for the same price. 

• 2 months later...

We decided to add a small system to our living room, which could also serve the dining room for soft background music. Both are smallish, and we're not looking for great volume. Your review of the Music 7 got me thinking about it, although it will take up a bunch of real estate on one of our side tables.

But then there's the KEF LSX powered speakers, which seems to be occupying a similar niche. Small size, good enough bass extension, built for wireless streaming, enough volume for small spaces. The price is equalized if I shop for "open box" LSX speakers. The LSX has one advantage which is Roon compatibility.

You mentioned that you'd pick the Music 7 over many wireless speakers. Not sure if your thinking included the LSX powered speakers.