IGNORED

Qobuz Prepares for 2019 US Launch, Announces Pricing Plan

5 hours ago, left channel said:

Re HiFi vs. Studio, the question is difficult to answer because it relates to whether one can even hear the difference between CD-quality and Hi-Res, and how one perceives that difference. A recent study says not everyone can hear it, and of those who can some can only describe the difference emotionally. You say upsampling within A+ sounds better to you, and I suspect I expect you'll enjoy true Hi-Res streaming even more, but as that study shows everyone's ears are different.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that this has happened to - not many will admit it though. 

Had my library on shuffle (Roon's radio mode) and while doing other things on my Mac (and not looking at my DAC's display) I thought 'wow this must be the hi-res version' of a track where I have different versions... only to open up Roon and see it's the CD quality version... or even more terrifyingly the iTunes purchased version... ?

But it still won't stop me from listening to the best quality version of a track/album that I can get my hands on. Maybe as my system gets more resolving over time the differences become more apparent. Maybe not though.

I keep having hangups in Qobuz.  If plays some amount of time then stops.  You can see the okay line bar has not loaded all the way.   If I download to my offline and play out of cache I have no issues.  

Anyone have this issue.  I will check my version.   Should I adjust my buffet to a longer time.  Oddly that seems to move away from ultimate playback. 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:48 AM, Sal1950 said:

I was hoping the pricing would have been a little lower to put a notch in Tital's US market. Maybe if Spotify ever gets on board the competition may drive prices down some.

Know it's not cheap, but get a trial at your chosen tier when it's available and see what you think. I've tried other streaming services (including Tidal non-MQA CD resolution), and for whatever reason Qobuz just sounds better to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, bobbmd said:

@left channel @AudioDoctor Thank you both for your responses they reconfirmed what I thought-thanks again and David Craff simply suggested trying the HiRes Studio for a month to see if i like it 'better'  when USA Qobuz comes here.

Good suggestion. Sometimes the hi res version of an album can reflect extra care for sound quality when making a recording. And sometimes the hi res version can be a different master, though that could be worse (for instance, Loudness War reissue) or better, no way of knowing in advance.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using Tidal hi-fi/master and the sound is great.I can not believe that the improvement in flac/24/192 will be any better to me. Time will tell and I will give it a try when it becomes available for USA os desktop. From what I read the music selection might be better for me as I listen to mostly classical/jazz and standards type music. The UI in Tidal is bad and I hear Qobuz is not much better.We will see. My system is imac late 2013, streamed optical to Rega dac .Onkyo a-9150 amplifier [sweet], Then Dynaudio audience 52 speakers. CD player is Onkyo dx-7555

On 12/10/2018 at 12:25 PM, Jud said:

Good suggestion. Sometimes the hi res version of an album can reflect extra care for sound quality when making a recording. And sometimes the hi res version can be a different master, though that could be worse (for instance, Loudness War reissue) or better, no way of knowing in advance.

I don't have any explanation for it other than different (better?) mastering, but I often find the volume of a Hi-Res file is lower than the volume of the same album at CD res and I have to increase the volume at my end.  This does not hold true for every hi-res album, but a good number of them.

No electron left behind.