IGNORED

Qobuz Prepares for 2019 US Launch, Announces Pricing Plan

Well this is probably the 3rd launch date announcement I've seen.  This sounds more like a date for a date ... in early 2019 Qobuz will announce yet another launch date.

I'm sure making this happen is a complex project, but Qobuz isn't saying what obstacles they are encountering.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

The comments above all reflect how I feel: it seems like they've been announcing this launch for years! I've also submitted my email so that I can receive updates and haven't received a single reply. Not impressed and frustrated with the wait.

Walcascar[br]My system: Mac Mini > Exasound e22 (digital) > VPI Classic 3 (analog) > McIntosh C50 preamp & McIntosh MC302 amp > B&W Nautilus 802D (Cables: All Cardas)

21 hours ago, rickca said:

Well this is probably the 3rd launch date announcement I've seen.  This sounds more like a date for a date ... in early 2019 Qobuz will announce yet another launch date.

I'm sure making this happen is a complex project, but Qobuz isn't saying what obstacles they are encountering.

There is a problem with playback SQ using the Quobuz desktop app on Windows 10 for one. After working for a while playback often becomes distorted requiring me to restart the app. No problems streaming Quobuz through Audirvana+.

21 minutes ago, exdmd said:

No problems streaming Quobuz through Audirvana+.

I use A+ on a Mac, and I find that is also the best way to listen to it, incredible sound quality, especially with the direct mode hack enabled.

I pointed this out someplace else, but I think it should go here, the $25/Monthly service costs $300 a year, or exactly as much as the most expensive option, but you wont get the discounts on downloads that will more than make up for the extra $50 if you were to pay annually for the middle tier.

No electron left behind.

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I use A+ on a Mac, and I find that is also the best way to listen to it, incredible sound quality, especially with the direct mode hack enabled.

I pointed this out someplace else, but I think it should go here, the $25/Monthly service costs $300 a year, or exactly as much as the most expensive option, but you wont get the discounts on downloads that will more than make up for the extra $50 if you were to pay annually for the middle tier.

Can you elaborate on the direct mode hack please if applicable to A+ on Windows 10? Thanks

@The Computer Audiophile Chris I asked this question of David Craff but will also ask you-what is advantage of the HiRes Studio vs CD quality (which I have had since 2013 or earlier) if when I play through A+3 I get 96 or 176.4 through my meridian explorer 2 DAC for Qobuz anyway? Will I notice a substantial  improvement in SQ ie the 'subjective' improvement I hear when i listen to MQA Tidal albums via A+3 or is it all 'subjective' to the individual?

I just listen to streaming music and do not purchase/download albums so what I hear now is excellent either through my headphones(Sennheiser rs 195s and 598s) or my 7 channel/ 2 channel speaker system. I already pay 23+$ in euros for CD subscription now and it won't make much difference to pay 24$ for the Studio if the sound is going to be 'better'.

thanks bobbmd

On 11/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, rodrigaj said:

@The Computer Audiophile FYI

Your link at the bottom offering more information brings you to this page:

1476630127_ScreenShot2018-11-29at9_34_52AM.thumb.jpg.1e3ed5674578bc2a729eca6aa74cd25a.jpg

AFAIK, that has been the "face" of Qobuz in the USA for years. I have submitted my email address to them at least a dozen times and never received one email. One can only guess what the purpose of that page is.

Unfortunately very true.  I've stopped looking and hope it will eventually launch

I was hoping the pricing would have been a little lower to put a notch in Tital's US market. Maybe if Spotify ever gets on board the competition may drive prices down some.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

@AudioDoctor That 'hack' you mentioned is the reason I have not upgraded from El Capitan. I also almost exclusively use A+3 to listen to Qobuz which takes the FLAC 16/44.1 Stereo up to 24/176.4 Stereo on my Meridian Explorer 2 DAC and to me 'sounds better' than my desktop Qobuz app(the black one with a record and tone arm). I noticed that app has been upgraded to the new 5.0+ version-the layout looks different and maybe even better but I prefer the layout of the Qobuz page on A+3 with the New Releases, Playlists Most Streamed etc at the top of the page-what do you think?

I assume the version of Qobuz on A+3 is the older version correct? and would you or can you upgrade that? or is it a function of Damien and A+3?

I posted a question to Chris(and to David Craff) just above your Friday 05:38 answer to someone else's question on this page-no one has answered me-do you have any thoughts on my question(s) concerning the different tiers for USA Qobuz and the Sq between HiFi and HiRes-Studio?

I have had Qobuz in the USA with a sort of French address(ie Oneida, NEW FRANCE!) since 2013 or earlier and wander if I should just keep it- the difference in price/month will only be about $5 and all I do is listen to streaming music

appreciate your thoughts

bobbmd

40 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@AudioDoctor That 'hack' you mentioned is the reason I have not upgraded from El Capitan. I also almost exclusively use A+3 to listen to Qobuz which takes the FLAC 16/44.1 Stereo up to 24/176.4 Stereo on my Meridian Explorer 2 DAC and to me 'sounds better' than my desktop Qobuz app(the black one with a record and tone arm). I noticed that app has been upgraded to the new 5.0+ version-the layout looks different and maybe even better but I prefer the layout of the Qobuz page on A+3 with the New Releases, Playlists Most Streamed etc at the top of the page-what do you think?

I assume the version of Qobuz on A+3 is the older version correct? and would you or can you upgrade that? or is it a function of Damien and A+3?

I posted a question to Chris(and to David Craff) just above your Friday 05:38 answer to someone else's question on this page-no one has answered me-do you have any thoughts on my question(s) concerning the different tiers for USA Qobuz and the Sq between HiFi and HiRes-Studio?

I have had Qobuz in the USA with a sort of French address(ie Oneida, NEW FRANCE!) since 2013 or earlier and wander if I should just keep it- the difference in price/month will only be about $5 and all I do is listen to streaming music

appreciate your thoughts

bobbmd

bobbmd, I exclusively use A+ to listen to Qobuz when at my computer and my Aurender when at my main system. I agree that the standalone app does not sound as good. I find it better and easier for searching their catalog though, as well as seeing immediately what is and isn't hi-res.

I can't imagine why the sound quality would be different, I am sure they are the exact same files on all tiers except the mp3 tier.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, bobbmd said:

appreciate your thoughts

bobbmd

The developer of Audirvana and a few others have spent years developing ways to force Macs to sound better.  I'm told you do get what you pay for using Qobuz through A+. On other operating systems this may be less of an issue.  As for layout, that's the developer's choice of what to do with the categories/organization Qobuz provides in their API or whatever.

Re HiFi vs. Studio, the question is difficult to answer because it relates to whether one can even hear the difference between CD-quality and Hi-Res, and how one perceives that difference. A recent study says not everyone can hear it, and of those who can some can only describe the difference emotionally. You say upsampling within A+ sounds better to you, and I suspect I expect you'll enjoy true Hi-Res streaming even more, but as that study shows everyone's ears are different.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.