IGNORED

Advice on how to proceed with  Audio Server setup.

Looking for advice on how to proceed with  Audio Server setup.

Here is the current status:

1. My house is wired with CAT6 going to a 16-port Gigabit Switch. I also have the house fully wired with RG-6 for video (and possibly audio, see below)

2. I have just acquired a Synology DS218+ NAS which is to be used as storage and back-up. 

3. I have an almost new Denon AVR-X1500H Receiver and do not intend to replace it. This what I know about it:

• The receiver has a Digital Audio (Coax) input 
  • The receiver has an Ethernet port. 
  • Can receive audio (in my case FLAC files) streaming from a DNLA compliant server.

4.    I also happen to have an Intel NUC7i3BNH with 64GB SSD, 8GB Ram and a built -in 500GB HDD. I could use that and also keep my music (about 25,000 FLAC files) on it.

I have been thinking of using Roon ROCK on the NUC but I’m not sure yet due to the fact the software license is almost $500. I understand there are other Media Player software out there that could serve me well and cost less?

Q1. I assume if I use the NUC setup that I can stream my music directly to the receiver via Ethernet and using any compatible device such as my Android tablet to select music and view music information?

Q2. I’m also contemplating getting a Raspberry Pi3 Model 3 and connect with an ALLO DigiOne Signature so that I could connect to my receiver’s digital coax input via my CAT6 coax cable. Cost is very reasonable for this hardware at $239! Is this a better idea?

Q3. Or could I perhaps use the NAS (installing the music files there)? If so which Media Server software will work well on my NAS and does not cost a fortune.

Q4. Which of the above approaches would you recommend? 

Q5. Which is most future proof or flexible (I do not wish to make a lot of equipment changes later)?
Q6. Which one is most flexible in regard to selecting and providing information on the music played to a portable device and/or perhaps also showing it directly on my TV screen (a brand new LG OLED)?

Thankful for any advice/ Bjorn

1799419575_oldradio.jpg.8310ffa52df81d8e6747d6b3c17cce70.jpg  I would rather listen to music on a cheap radio than not at all.

• 2 weeks later...

If your Synology can run Minimserver, start the app, point it to your music storage, connect your reciever via ethernet (assuming your Denon can play via ethernet), and use a phone/tablet app to play.  Denon may have their own app.

If your Denon cannot play via ethernet you will need an intermediate device.  The Pi is well regarded for this service.

Your LG should also be able to access your storage for video or music.  I can on mine.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers