IGNORED

Best quality headphones for under $800

Hi, I'm looking for some headphones that will give me the best sound for the $250 - $800 range. I want to start creating music. I may decide to spend more than $800 but it will take me longer to save. I have no problem looking at reviews on my own but I don't know where to start. I definitely prefer neutral sound and care a lot for sound quality. These will be headphones I take on the go and at home but I don't care if they're bulky and/or I will need a DAC/amp as well.  Not expecting to be using for mixing but may get into that kind of stuff later on. So I hear closed back is what I am looking for. So far the only thing that has given me enough interest was the Shure SRH1540. 

Any advice is appreciated, even if it's out of my price range at the moment. 

Thanks, 

Seth. 

Check out the Meze 99 Classics for $300.  I have owned quite a few headphones In the $1,000 - $2,000 price range and honestly my Meze 99 Classics are, to a large degree, just as enjoyable as these much more expensive headphones. Easy to drive as well so you don’t have to worry about expensive headphone amps, they sound great even plugged into your phone.

if going more upmarket you could find some used HD800 for around $800. I really enjoy mine, but then you need to budget in more money for an appropriate amp.  Also, the HD800 are really just for home listening, you wouldn’t want to use them for portable use.

I found the HD600 to be quite boring, but many people like them.  I’d go with the Meze based on what you wrote about yourself.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I'm currently torn between my Audeze LCD-2 Closed Backs and my Sony MDR-Z7M2 as my favorite cans. Both are fairly neutral yet still warm and fun, and they both list for US $899 but can be had for less. (Note that the latter is "M2" as in "Model 2", just released. The original Z7 is very dark with recessed midrange.)

Moving along the spectrum into even more neutral and lower-priced choices are the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro (I have the old DT-770 Pro and they are excellent for detailed listening but the sound signature is still "V shaped"), the even more neutral "Professional Studio" models from Audio-Technica like the ATH-M50x or ATH-MSR7 (I have the old ATH-M40fs and they are very clear), and — for the most neutral studio sound I've ever owned — perhaps the on-ear so a bit less comfortable JVC HA-MX100-Z (I own the previous model, HA-MX10-B).

I have only closed-backs, so can't speak to open-backs. But in your price range there many more fine choices in both open and closed headphones from Sennheiser and others that I have not heard, like the HD-650. I'm sure someone will chime in on those here, but you should definitely also ask this question on head-fi.org

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

10 hours ago, Blake said:

Check out the Meze 99 Classics for $300.  I have owned quite a few headphones In the $1,000 - $2,000 price range and honestly my Meze 99 Classics are, to a large degree, just as enjoyable as these much more expensive headphones. Easy to drive as well so you don’t have to worry about expensive headphone amps, they sound great even plugged into your phone.

if going more upmarket you could find some used HD800 for around $800. I really enjoy mine, but then you need to budget in more money for an appropriate amp.  Also, the HD800 are really just for home listening, you wouldn’t want to use them for portable use.

I found the HD600 to be quite boring, but many people like them.  I’d go with the Meze based on what you wrote about yourself.

I checked out the Meze classics but don't particularly like the style, although that's not the most important thing it does matter to me. Thanks for the response. 

9 hours ago, left channel said:

I'm currently torn between my Audeze LCD-2 Closed Backs and my Sony MDR-Z7M2 as my favorite cans. Both are fairly neutral yet still warm and fun, and they both list for US $899 but can be had for less. (Note that the latter is "M2" as in "Model 2", just released. The original Z7 is very dark with recessed midrange.)

Moving along the spectrum into even more neutral and lower-priced choices are the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro (I have the old DT-770 Pro and they are excellent for detailed listening but the sound signature is still "V shaped"), the even more neutral "Professional Studio" models from Audio-Technica like the ATH-M50x or ATH-MSR7 (I have the old ATH-M40fs and they are very clear), and — for the most neutral studio sound I've ever owned — perhaps the on-ear so a bit less comfortable JVC HA-MX100-Z (I own the previous model, HA-MX10-B).

I have only closed-backs, so can't speak to open-backs. But in your price range there many more fine choices in both open and closed headphones from Sennheiser and others that I have not heard, like the HD-650. I'm sure someone will chime in on those here, but you should definitely also ask this question on head-fi.org

I was looking into the M70x and after your post i looked at online comparisons to the MSR7's. My hypothetical conclusion is that the M70x is more neutral and revealing. I think what I want to do is buy a lower grade headphone first and then when I have saved enough I could buy something like the charter oak sp1's. 

10 minutes ago, davide256 said:

In general, for a more expensive headphone, you need a better quality headphone amp to get its full value. After buying several headphone amps, I can tell

you its hard to get a good headphone amp for under $500. I like the following combo, Audeze Sine headphones with Chord Mojo portable DAC/amp.

I use the Sine DX with Microzotl 2 headphone amp, the Mojo when I auditioned it with Sine DX  worked well, most of what I could get in main system.

One head amp that I can highly recommend: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier

Sounds good, measures extremely well, and well under $500.

4 hours ago, Seth said:

I was looking into the M70x and after your post i looked at online comparisons to the MSR7's. My hypothetical conclusion is that the M70x is more neutral and revealing. I think what I want to do is buy a lower grade headphone first and then when I have saved enough I could buy something like the charter oak sp1's. 

I think the ATH-M70x is a fine choice, in value and neutral sound. If you do try that model, please post a report here. Pricing often reflects how many units a manufacturer can sell, not just what's in them, and although based on reviews you may want to be careful not to drop an M70x, they are clearly very well-designed and very popular headphones. I've had my 40fs for eight years and have dropped them countless times. They still work just fine, though I used them so much I had to buy replacement Brainwavz memory foam earpads.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, Blake said:

I thought the Meze's sounded OK out of my LG G7 but when I plug them into my Topping DX7s it sounds awesome. Not the most transparent headphone I've heard but still great sound and pretty comfortable. 

For mixing, you don't need closed backs, but you'd be best served by near field monitors (for a variety of reasons).  Unless you're going to be commuting or listening in areas where sound leakage could be an issue (both incoming and outgoing), open backs are considered better for sound quality (again, for a variety of reasons).

You've mentioned neutrality and best SQ.  So I rec this:  Senn HD650's can be had on massdrop for $199 (called HD6XX, they are identical) and they are one of the most iconic set of cans for warm neutrality.  I personally like the HD600's better, but most people dig a little more bass.  Both are great.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

You will absolutely, without question, want to drive them with a good amp (or amp/dac) - or they will sound very thin without dynamics.  The drivers just won't work correctly without power as they are 300 ohms.  They may get loud enough for you, but they will sound horrid IMO.  The THX AAA 789 mentioned already has some very good reviews and is very transparent and neutral as well.  

One amp I can rec without hesitation because I've owned it and compared it to quite a few in it's price range is the Arcam rHead.  This amp is a juggernaut and can be had for under $300 these days.  

I would argue for wireless. 
What's the point to spend so much money on a, microscopic, subjective, possibly entirely psychological, improvement when you can easily hear the cable rattling around?

My 650HD and tube amps are gathering dust because of my BW PX and it's so much more comfortable!

The MrSpeakers Aeon Flows (both open and closed varieties) are at the upper end of your range but are definitely worth considering. They definitely need an amp to shine but they are probably the most complete and competent top to bottom cans in your price range. An alternative to consider would be the Focal Elears ($1000 MSRP)  which can be had on sale for within your range.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I’ve owned (past tense) the Mezes, 1540s, MSR7s, and Aeon Flows. The Meze and 1540 both have really flabby bass. (Supposedly the initial Meze run didn’t. But since they changed the pads, they’ve suffered from this problem. Read Tyll’s analysis of the early and later pads on Innerfidelity.) The MSR7s sounded thin to my ears and the build quality felt cheap. The Aeons are nicely built, but the ear pads are odd, and I found the sound to be just so-so for the price. 

It’s really hard to find good closed-back headphones! 

The NAD HP50, which Mich reviewed here, remain a great pair, and well under your budget. I also think Monoprice’s M565C are underrated (better price to performance for a closed planar than the Aeons, IMO), and they’re easy to try yourself given Monprice’s return policy. (I still own both.)

To to get to really excellent closed cans, you probably need to exceed your price range, but ZMF Atticus and Eikon can be had used near the top of your range, and both will readily exceed the sound and build quality of anything mentioned above. 

On 12/5/2018 at 11:55 PM, Kelly said:

The MrSpeakers Aeon Flows (both open and closed varieties) are at the upper end of your range but are definitely worth considering. They definitely need an amp to shine but they are probably the most complete and competent top to bottom cans in your price range.

Love my Aeon Closed. One of the best Tyll ever measured:

"The first thing you'll notice about the raw frequency response is how close it is to the Harman Target Response curve. Maybe the closest I've seen of any passive headphone."

And very low distortion in the low end, one of the lowest he's ever measured.

13-ohm impedance though, so you want an amp with very low ohm output impedance and very good current delivery at 13-ohm.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/mrspeakers-aeon-over-ear-sealed-planar-magnetic-headphones-measurements

My iFi DAC/Amp has a headphone output impedance of ~4 ohms. And doesn't do well below 16-ohm cans. It's primarily a DAC, with the headphone amp function suitable only for certain cans (certain impedance range and current/voltage range). iFi themselves recommend a separate headphone amp for my case.

I have the THX 789 headphone amp on the way. THX have confirmed to me it can pump 0.5A  into 12-ohms cans easily. And the amp has ultra low distortion figures and ultra low output impedance.

If you want to create music, look no further than Mr.speaker Aeon Closed with Chord Mojo as DAC/AMP. most liner, natural, speedy combo money can buy at this price range.

I have this combo with addition to Gilmore Lite Mk2  AMP which not needed with AEON and yes it sound 2% better with it which not worth the investment if you are in tight budget 

Another recommendation for the Audio-Technica ATH-"n0"x family. I have not heard Left Channel's ATH-70x but have the ATH-50x and they are my favorite closed back. Very sturdy and comfortable.

Additional validation (if you need it) is go to YouTube and many of the recording session performers are wearing... ATH "n0"x's!

Also look at some of the reviews at B&H Photo's site for additional impressions. Lastly, my son works at two music venues in Chicago, and they use.. ATH "n0"x.

Then with the money you save you can buy a better mic. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I hear budget, I go used: HE6se (Ether Angled pads, rear screens off), HE-500 (same mods but fuzzor mod too), HEX v2 (use nuggets to get cups up into position and get silver cable or use EQ to bring up the treble/definition).  Focal Clears, HD-600 and BH Crack w/ speedball kit amp to drive em - to name a few.