IGNORED

Audirvana: How to migrate from one HDD to two SSD's in Mac mini?

corente

Question

I use Mac mini with one HDD together with Audirvana + to play music thru a DAC. The music files are placed in the HDD and a Synology NAS

Now I want to replace the HDD with two new SSD's, one containing applications and all sytem stuff (250GB) and the other to place the music files (1TB), I will continue using the NAS as well.

I have done a lot of editing with the music in order to clasify it according to my desires: composer, conductor, orchestra, soloists, style, ....

I want to know how to migrate KEEPING my present Audirvana lybrary in order to save all the editing

And a last question: where I should place Audirvana library in the SSD with the system or in the other?

Mac mini mid 2011 (Yosemite 10.10.5) and Audirvana + last version (3.2.12 as today)

4 answers to this question

On 11/22/2018 at 6:24 PM, corente said:

I use Mac mini with one HDD together with Audirvana + to play music thru a DAC. The music files are placed in the HDD and a Synology NAS

Now I want to replace the HDD with two new SSD's, one containing applications and all sytem stuff (250GB) and the other to place the music files (1TB), I will continue using the NAS as well.

I have done a lot of editing with the music in order to clasify it according to my desires: composer, conductor, orchestra, soloists, style, ....

I want to know how to migrate KEEPING my present Audirvana lybrary in order to save all the editing

And a last question: where I should place Audirvana library in the SSD with the system or in the other?

Mac mini mid 2011 (Yosemite 10.10.5) and Audirvana + last version (3.2.12 as today)

Please do a backup first, but if you've done your tagging with A+, the metatag information should all be saved in the music files themselves (unless you use WAV, but FLAC or ALAC should work). In this case, all you need to do is copy the files to the new HD and point A+ in the options to sync that new folder as well.

Why don't you try it with a handful of albums first and see if it works. 

18 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Please do a backup first, but if you've done your tagging with A+, the metatag information should all be saved in the music files themselves (unless you use WAV, but FLAC or ALAC should work). In this case, all you need to do is copy the files to the new HD and point A+ in the options to sync that new folder as well.

Why don't you try it with a handful of albums first and see if it works. 

Thank you, I’ll try as you say. I didn’t know that meta tag information was saved in the music files (I use ALAC, FLAC, DSD and AIFF)

4 hours ago, corente said:

Thank you, I’ll try as you say. I didn’t know that meta tag information was saved in the music files (I use ALAC, FLAC, DSD and AIFF)

For all of those formats it should work in principle. You can also use an external metatag editor like MP3tag to see if the information is embedded in the files. 

A+ database basically reads the metatags and structures the files into the larger database.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:06 AM, Musicophile said:

For all of those formats it should work in principle. You can also use an external metatag editor like MP3tag to see if the information is embedded in the files. 

A+ database basically reads the metatags and structures the files into the larger database.

Thank you Musicophile, it worked as you say.