IGNORED

Advice on DigitalOne Signature set-up

Folks:

I'm trying to get my wife's office system a decent (though not state-of-the-art) connection to our network.  The network is driven by an iMac with Tidal  (hires) and Roon.  I have an ethernet connection in her office and her stereo is quite nice.  I am thinking about the Allo DigiOne Signature (with the Volumio system card) and an SPDIF connection out to a Schiit Modi Multibit to her stereo.

Any concerns about this set-up?  Any cautions?

(Hopefully) without too much controversy, what digital cable would you recommend?  Finally, what kind of power source for the "clean" board?  I've seen discussion about the iFi iPower (both pro and con) and the prices of linear power supplies can go quite high. I don't see the logic of a beaucoup bux power supply for this implementation but I don't know anything about power supplies except that they are important.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

I have just set up a somewhat similar system: DigiOne Signature, RPi running PiCorePlayer, BNC S/PDIF to Schiit Gungnir Multibit.  It's working well and sounds great.

Ethernet seems the way to go for network connections. Fast transfer speeds and none of the potential RFI from WiFi. 

I am using an S/PDIF cable from BlueJeansCable.com: Belden 1694A with Canare BNC connections at both ends.  I've also used their Belden 1694A with Canare RCAP (RCA) connectors, which also works well.  These are reasonably priced, high quality cables with good performance.

I'm still sorting out my power supply choices.  I'm running both the clean and dirty sides with standard USB 5v SMPS phone chargers.  I have a clean linear power supply on order for the clean side.  It's nothing fancy,  just what looked like a quiet and reliable supply that I sourced off of eBay.  Honestly, the DigiOne/Schiit combination sounds great already.  It's a really nice upgrade from the sound that my older Slim Devices Squeezebox2's were delivering from their internal DACs. If the clean supply adds to that, then I'll be pleased.

The iFi Power has a good reputation, even if it might not be the ultimate.  You may want to start with that and assess the results.  For an office system, and anything less than critical listening, you may find it serves perfectly.

Well, I’ve currently got the Signature hooked up with an Audioquest Cinnamon spdif to a Schiit Bifrost.  Allo power in the dirty side (although can't be sure because of the sparse to non-existent documentation and customer support) and an UpTone Audio linear power supply in the clean side (see my preceding parenthetic comment).  I managed to get the Signature Volumio software set up through the web page and have Roon playing to the Signature but NO SOUND output.  

I tried a couple of different spdif cables between the Signature and the Schiit as well as a few different interconnects between the Schiit and my integrated amp but still NO SOUND.  One possibility is the “Dac selection” on the web UI, the only close choice is the “DigiOne” which seems unlikely....  No Signature option and no Schiit option.   

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

25 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

[...] One possibility is the “Dac selection” on the web UI, the only close choice is the “DigiOne” which seems unlikely....  No Signature option and no Schiit option.  

I'm using a similar setup: RPi (running PiCorePlayer), DigiOne Signature hat, BNC SPDIF to Schiit Gungnir. 

At least in PiCorePlayer (and I'd assume that it's the same with Volumio) the output selection made in the player software controls the Linux device configuration for the audio outs. 

By default, the audio is directed to the 3.5mm output jack on the RPi board.  You may want to plug in some earphones and test that output. 

PiCorePlayer has a web interface that provides a drop-down menu of audio output options.  In my case, there is no option for "Schiit".  The correct option is "DigiOne", and I did read somewhere (either the PiCorePlayer or DigiOne manuals or forums) a very positive directive that the "DigiOne" option is correct for both the DigiOne and DigiOne Signature hats.  I selected that, saved the configuration setting, and was prompted to reboot the RPi.  About 15 seconds later, the RPi was back up and the sound output was being delivered through the SPDIF outputs. 

Did you reboot the RPi after making the change?

32 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

Well, I’ve currently got the Signature hooked up with an Audioquest Cinnamon spdif to a Schiit Bifrost.  Allo power in the dirty side (although can't be sure because of the sparse to non-existent documentation and customer support) and an UpTone Audio linear power supply in the clean side (see my preceding parenthetic comment).  I managed to get the Signature Volumio software set up through the web page and have Roon playing to the Signature but NO SOUND output.  

I tried a couple of different spdif cables between the Signature and the Schiit as well as a few different interconnects between the Schiit and my integrated amp but still NO SOUND.  One possibility is the “Dac selection” on the web UI, the only close choice is the “DigiOne” which seems unlikely....  No Signature option and no Schiit option.   

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

In Allo GUI, SoundCard set to allo-digione is correct, even though this is the digione signature.

Has to be something else...

Are you sure you have the correct digital input selected on the Bifrost and the right input selected on your integrated amp?

Did you set up and choose the audio device correctly in Roon?