IGNORED

Kate Bush remasters... 24/44.1

Anyone hear these yet?  HDTracks appears to be trickling them in.  I down loaded Hounds... but have not listened yet.  To this point i have been disappointed by digital versions of Kate's catalog so far, at least the older stuff.  Aerial CD is pretty good though.  Really hoping The Dreaming will be improved...  I did not have Hounds... so that was a no brainer.  Wish they would sell the LPs individually, as I would pick up a few that way.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/154693

Hounds of Love has been posted in the DR database.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Does anyone know if the remade version of Wuthering Heights (released on The Whole Story CD) is part of either of the remastered CD boxed sets?  I don't see it listed, and I'm searching to see if that version is mentioned anywhere.

Edited to add:  I think I found it.  It seems to be on The Other Side 2, which is part of the second boxed set on CD.  Sh*t.  I really only wanted the first boxed set lol, but that remake of her old classic song is my favorite of all of her work!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

I listened to the Hounds... download last night.  Good sound, especially on "The Ninth Wave".  Side one has a bit of hardness on the vocals, but I remember this from the original LP as well, it was the 80s after all, and not always known for the best recording quality, or "taste" in sonics.

Will listen again today.  I'll probably DL The Dreaming today, as it is my favorite, I can compare to my CD rip version.

Nice to see the LPs are available separately as well, I'll probably add a couple to my LP collection (maybe I'll even get a 'table and build a phono stage someday...)

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

24 bit is an (small) advantage...  But it might not be audible.  For me, I already have plenty of physical media which I do not need, it is just clutter!  I will probably purchase a couple of LPs for collectible reasons, but I need more CDs around like I need a hole in my head.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...

I have an 'original' 1985 Hounds of Love CD from Japan, and compared the CD box set remaster edition as published by Fish People version 2018. MusicScope was used to evaluate the first track from the album Running up that hill (A deal with God). The reports and diagram are included as an attachment to this post.

A similar comparison for 50 Words for Snow, revealed Misty on the 2018 CD is 13.5 db, the 96/24 is 13.6 db, so maintaining the DR is a possibility, please note recording engineers!

The Loudness Range for the 2018 Remaster measures 5.4 db. The same track from 1985 CD measures 8.0 db. A pirated vinyl rip 96/24 measures 5.3 db, so not worth the effort. I won't bother with the HD tracks 24 bit redbook download in this case a predict it should be the same as the Redbook at 5.3 db, but do note that that release is from Rhino, just the shop that sells it I suppose, as with 98% of other albums that surround HDtracks' misty provenance.

Running up that Hill reports.zip

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I would suggest that those who appear to insist that recording quality be determined by a DR index number alone are, perhaps, a bit mis-guided.

SONORE computer audio

@One and a half, to be, perhaps, a bit more clear, I would be much more interested in your actual listening impressions of the new re-master vs. whatever CD version version that you currently have, rather than just listing the DR index.  Anyone can compare DR index numbers, a subjective comparison of actual sound quality is of much more value to me, and I would hope, to anyone else reading here.

I purchased the DL for HOL, but I have not compared to any other versions, excepting original US release vinyl (via memory from the original release date, obviously a ridiculous comparison).

I will share such for The Dreaming (early CD release vs. re-master) soon.

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, barrows said:

@One and a half, to be, perhaps, a bit more clear, I would be much more interested in your actual listening impressions of the new re-master vs. whatever CD version version that you currently have, rather than just listing the DR index.  Anyone can compare DR index numbers, a subjective comparison of actual sound quality is of much more value to me, and I would hope, to anyone else reading here.

I purchased the DL for HOL, but I have not compared to any other versions, excepting original US release vinyl (via memory from the original release date, obviously a ridiculous comparison).

I will share such for The Dreaming (early CD release vs. re-master) soon.

OK, understand now. I enjoyed Kate Bush's albums year after year and know the sound of them reasonably well. None really, apart from 50 words for snow album are outstanding enough to be compared to the space and air of a jazz trio, the multi-layering of pop/rock material doesn't come through, as each instrument is compressed to billio. The rare exception is "Feel It" from 'The Kick Inside'. I was keen to hear any differences, the piano solo, and this mastering, is no really no different to the mid 80's release on CD, so at least, it's not worse.

The best part of this mastering set is the 4 disc set 'The other side'. Normally remixes and B sides are not so good, there are gems among the chaff for this set.

Then again, the overall impression of this craft spanning 40 years doesn't need critical technical analysis to appreciate what Kate Bush has accomplished. Just like observing a painting, you like it or you don't.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA