IGNORED

Massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming?

the thread with censorship that is noted in the OP above:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=895863

@jabbr has posted on close in phase noise - I'd accept his opinion

noise on the USB cable also makes sense, tho a noise injector might be a fun project to test that

Latency causing SQ problems would not seem to be much of a problem.  But if latency triggered high activity on the clean side of a DAC (somehow) I could invent a mechanism...

12 hours ago, diecaster said:

Why would a NUC with crappy clocks that makes a lot of noise on its USB ports running AudioLinux in RAM be a better endpoint than the SOtM Ultra with a super duper external clock and low noise purpose built motherboard with ultra quiet power and a fantastic USB implementation?

From Rob Watts:

"As you know, RF noise creates noise floor modulation, as the intermodulation distortion from random RF noise is a white noise modulated by the wanted signal. This then results in noise floor modulation, and is very very audible. It accounts for the things sounding brighter and less smooth; additionally, when you reduce RF noise, things sound considerably warmer and darker, and one consequence of this is perception of tempo - more midrange gives the impression of a slower tempo, as individual instruments have much more body.

Now if somebody prefers the brighter sound from more noise floor modulation, then fine - that's their taste and preference. But it's not accurate."

In terms of tweaking with the digital chain, he says that it's technically better to go with a source/chain that results in a smoother, warmer, darker sound...

So it MAY be possible that those reporting more detail, more dynamics, are simply enjoying the results of increased RF, causing increased IM distortion and noise floor modulation...

Possible. Hard to know for sure.

The Sonore ultraRendu + Uptone LPS-1.2 is the smoothest, warmest sounding USB source/chain I've had in my system, to my ears.. I've tried a powerful i7 NUC as an endpoint too but not the lower powered NUC being discussed recently in the other thread.

14 hours ago, LTG2010 said:

''AudioLinux is based on realtime custom kernels and on the work of that part of linux community trying to achieve very low audio and processor latencies.''

See here: www.audio-linux.com

Again, latency of what? From which event to what action?

17 hours ago, diecaster said:

The purpose of these thread is to allow free and open discussion about some the ideas and solutions floated and used in the "A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming" thread. In that thread, you aren't allowed to make posts that question the validity of what is being done there. You aren't allowed to suggest that expectation bias may be the cause of the improvement being heard. You aren't even allowed to make observations that would cause people to think about why what they are doing makes or does not make sense. 

That thread has spent a lot of time and money on the idea that clocks are incredibly important as is low noise on Ethernet and USB connections and that quality USB was critical to improving sound quality. A recent idea is that lowering the latency of the server makes a difference in sound quality. An even newer idea is that using a NUC with AudioLinux in RAM as an endpoint (NAA and ?) is better than an SOtM ultra or an ultraRendu. When I read that, I posted this:

That got deleted because I had the gall to suggest that expectation bias might be at play and ask questions they can't possibly answer. I responded with this:

This post was deleted too.

So, let's assume for a moment that the observations are correct. Why would latency make a difference in sound quality? Why would a NUC with crappy clocks that makes a lot of noise on its USB ports running AudioLinux in RAM be a better endpoint than the SOtM Ultra with a super duper external clock and low noise purpose built motherboard with ultra quiet power and a fantastic USB implementation? Factor in that the DAC throttles the USB on the endpoint to keep its buffer from overfilling as their are no retransmissions in USB which should negate any latency advantages of the OS running in RAM.

Anyone care to discuss this?

Not until after I've tried AL. Always possible that designs like SoTM and Sonore aren't attacking the right problem head on, that the improvement is just massive overkill in the wrong area causing some bleed-over improvement in the right problem area.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

14 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

I think it's partly based on DPC latency and how the OS prioritizes tasks, I'm no expert just enjoying the extra clarity over windows I was using previously.

Audiolinux can run entirely in RAM, boot off your USB stick then take it out, no drive/EMMC access required after boot for the OS and helper applications installed

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

34 minutes ago, mansr said:

How can something that doesn't exist in Linux be measurable there?

Realtime Processor latency tests were carried out using an Osciliscope test in Linux as well as others and compared with DPC latency tester in Windows. It's detailed on their website if of interest.

29 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Realtime Processor latency tests were carried out using an Osciliscope test in Linux as well as others and compared with DPC latency tester in Windows. It's detailed on their website if of interest.

So what latency did they measure, and what is the relevance to audio playback?

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

further changes have little, subjective impact.

I agree with most of what is written here, but this. As we sort out software, power sources and learn more about cable shielding and the instrinisic noise of various storage devices and  clocks, etc . . . we are starting to see increasing returns, not little subjective impact.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

I agree with most of what is written here, but this. As we sort out software, power sources and learn more about cable shielding and the instrinisic noise of various storage devices and  clocks, etc . . . we are starting to see increasing returns, not little subjective impact.

it started with USB toys about 7 years ago on this site....i am ready for a $500 streamer dac that is even 10% better than listening to vinyl on jbl speakers and audio research tube amps 50 years ago.

10 hours ago, mansr said:

So what latency did they measure, and what is the relevance to audio playback?

In this context, latency typically dentoes the time it takes for a process to react to an interrupt signal. I do not know if and why this notion of latency is be relevant to audio playback. But an obvious effect of using real time kernels is that of reducing the spread between minimal and maximal latency. This can be easily verified with latency tests such as 'cyclictest'. On low-power devices like the Raspberry Pi, real time kernels typically reduce the max. latency at the expense of the min. and average latencies. On more powerful architectures and on systems in which the OS can be run from memory, this is apparently not the case and RT kernels can decrease both the max. latency and the average latency.

13 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I'm in accord with you - because I count "software, power sources and learn more about cable shielding and the instrinisic noise of various storage devices and  clocks" as elements of the 'network' of poor implementation - a robust solution would have have all of that sorted, and from then on the returns of other changes are far less impacting.