IGNORED

Can I Run Romex Wire Between Joists In Photo?

The Computer Audiophile

Question

Hi Guys - Does anyone know if it's safe to run Romex electrical wire through the joists pictured below? The insulation seen in the photo is from 1941. The wire would run on top of the insulation.

This is so I can put in another electrical outlet that runs to my dedicated sub panel for my audio system.

IMG_2013.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

https://www.sterling-kansas.com/DocumentCenter/View/146

Here in a simple PDF is a copy of the 2011 NEC (National Electrical Code).  You can download it, do a control F for joists and it will take you to the pertinent part.  Which will be page 70-136 (pg 139 of the 879 page PDF).  You'll see if you read on in other sections they more or less prefer you run wire in bored holes in joists and studs.  This protects the wire from incursion from nails. In other instances they require some protection though there are various other conditions.  Boring a joist for Chris' purpose is just fine and dandy.  Their only requirement is the hole be minimum of 1.25 inches from the edges of the joist.  Which btw is mainly to prevent nails or screws contacting the wire. The other ideas in my other links about hole size and position are being extra careful and good ideas, but not even part of the code.  

There are the 2014 and 2017 versions of the updated NEC, but they aren't different from this one in regard to boring holes in joists.  This version was easy to download and access.  

So you've got your answer.  How do you think houses are wired anyway?  They have to bore holes in studs, headers, and joists.  They don't want you notching edges without other precautions.   With exposed crawl spaces or attics you can staple over such framing features if they are not accessible to other use on a regular basis.  But in a case where Chris needs a hole to get to the wire destination drill your hole and move on.  There is nothing to worry about. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

31 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Sounds like a code violation to me....

What's the code violation?

15 Amp circuits require 14AWG or larger.

20 Amp circuits require 12AWG or larger.

Some situations, like long runs, high ambient temperature or high conduit fill may require oversize wires.

Note that most receptacles are limited to 10AWG or smaller.

While one step oversize is always good, larger than that is quickly diminishing returns.

42 minutes ago, One and a half said:

With the new rules, the actual testing procedure is more streamlined. Once the fixed wiring is installed and all compliance with that occurs, the next stage is electrical testing.

Results are recorded.

image.thumb.png.90fac5653b8e9c59fe23b573854b31fe.png

So the IR or Insulation Resistance test is performed as a normal part of testing, like for polarity and earth fault. 

Yes, but that is Aussie and New Zealand code.  It would be all upside down for where Chris is in the USA.

Just kidding guys.  :)

What Chris is wanting to do is pretty basic.  I don't see any death defying aspects to it. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

yes, the city or state code will tell you - you can usually look it up in city ordinances

most places have simply adopted the NEC, US Nat'l Electrical Code but always possible they altered it when adopting

did you get a permit for this work?  the inspector will let you know

also, you may wish to exceed code - I have used conduit in my house even when not required...

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Does anyone know if it's safe to run Romex electrical wire through the joists pictured below? The insulation seen in the photo is from 1941. The wire would run on top of the insulation.

This is so I can put in another electrical outlet that runs to my dedicated sub panel for my audio system.

IMG_2013.jpg

https://www.thespruce.com/what-does-romex-or-nm-mean-1821530

" ….. For homeowners and professional electricians running new circuits or extending old circuits inside walls and ceilings, NM cable is the material normally used."

Chris

Personally, I don't see a problem given the use of high quality connectors and good workmanship, as the USA regulations governing this type of thing are very different to most 230VAC 50HZ countries. I would expect that you already have a decent DMM and know how to use it. You could also install an Earth Leakage Breaker for added safety. 

Neither should you need to use metal conduit, as you could also run vulnerable areas in plastic conduit for added protection from rodents, possums etc. if you were at all concerned.

Regards

Alex

P.S.

Also, make sure DIY wiring doesn't void your homeowner's insurance policy.  - wgs

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Drilling holes through supports which hold a building together is not a great idea. If old timber is any guide as in my place, the longer it's in use, the hardwood ends up like hardened steel, of which swords can be spawned, it's THAT hard, drilling large holes can be a lengthy exercise. 

Generally, cable can be thrown on a surface and left provided there's little chance of someone standing on it, or it being disturbed. Local rules apply however.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

16 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Drilling holes through supports which hold a building together is not a great idea. If old timber is any guide as in my place, the longer it's in use, the hardwood ends up like hardened steel, of which swords can be spawned, it's THAT hard, drilling large holes can be a lengthy exercise. 

Not much fun either when you are in a confined ceiling space !

I would also turn off the main circuit breaker while working there, and test the  new wiring thoroughly with a decent  DMM before switching it back on.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

I would also turn off the main circuit breaker while working there, and test the  new wiring thoroughly with a decent  DMM before switching it back on.

Any modification to fixed wiring needs to be tested with an IR tester 2 x working voltage to be clear about methods. For 230V systems, 500V, 400V, 1000V. Now there's some debate as to how long the IR tester needs to test, for high voltage 1 minute is common, since a short test of 5s is enough to pass, but longer times insulation can break down and becomes apparent, especially if there's moisture or some tracking due to carbonising.

For AC cables I make for home, and for safety in mind, the IR tester is used to check the polarity of the connections and how good the insulation is. The cable is tagged with a date, credentials, there's an AS for that for commercial/industrial use, but not necessary for domestic.

20 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Switching off the main supply is a great idea, isolating the upstream is even better since unmetered mains cables can be anywhere. I don't climb in the roof any more, not agile enough.

6 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Any modification to fixed wiring needs to be tested with an IR tester 2 x working voltage to be clear about methods. For 230V systems, 500V, 400V, 1000V. Now there's some debate as to how long the IR tester needs to test, for high voltage 1 minute is common, since a short test of 5s is enough to pass, but longer times insulation can break down and becomes apparent, especially if there's moisture or some tracking due to carbonising.

Garry

Agreed that this is desirable, but Chris would be using brand new high quality mains cable, and his experience in other areas would undoubtedly help in the workmanship area too.

Alex

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Garry

Agreed that this is desirable, but Chris would be using brand new high quality mains cable, and his experience in other areas would undoubtedly help in the workmanship area too.

Alex

Doesn’t matter , old or a new install, an IR test is necessary, just passing the info about AS rules, which btw will change with new ones introduced this year and effective Jan 1 2019.

34 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Doesn’t matter , old or a new install, an IR test is necessary, just passing the info about AS rules, which btw will change with new ones introduced this year and effective Jan 1 2019.

Garry

We are talking here about the USA where they seem to be able to many things electrically that are a big NO, NO, Downunder.

Even the Kiwis are able to do some electrical stuff themselves.

Alex

40 minutes ago, wgscott said:

If the structure dates back to 1941, the potential (pun intended, as always) for an unpleasant surprise in wiring is non-negligible.

Bill

There is always the possibility that the Ceiling  Insulation is laid on top of some old electrical wiring, which is part of why I suggested turning all power off while working there.

Alex

In my above post the article linked is more permissive.  The video is following IET standards. 

Keep holes minimum of 2 inches from the top and bottom of the joist.  Keep the hole diameter at or less than 25% of the joist height.  Put the hole as close to the middle as you can vertically.  Don't put it near a load bearing wall under the joist.  It is best to avoid the center third of the joist span for such holes.  

Romex really wouldn't need any protection other than as someone mentioned rodents.  You could use thin wall emt or plastic conduit if you wished.  You are NOT supposed to run Romex thru conduit.  You should use THHN wire if you go with conduit. 

Calculations I've seen show even a hole 33% of joist height directly in the middle of a joist only reduces strength by 4%.  

22 hours ago, esldude said:

In my above post the article linked is more permissive.  The video is following IET standards. 

Keep holes minimum of 2 inches from the top and bottom of the joist.  Keep the hole diameter at or less than 25% of the joist height.  Put the hole as close to the middle as you can vertically.  Don't put it near a load bearing wall under the joist.  It is best to avoid the center third of the joist span for such holes.  

Romex really wouldn't need any protection other than as someone mentioned rodents.  You could use thin wall emt or plastic conduit if you wished.  You are NOT supposed to run Romex thru conduit.  You should use THHN wire if you go with conduit. 

Calculations I've seen show even a hole 33% of joist height directly in the middle of a joist only reduces strength by 4%.  

The rodents should not be under estimated. Modern wire insulation is often "tasty" to them. I'd use metal clad(MC) cable. In my shop, I had a mouse eat the insulation on a machine that was 30'/10M from any exterior wall and 5' off of the ground. I also recall a client complaining because his daughter's pet rabbit ate through live wires in a crawl space while AWOL for a couple of days. I seem to recall mention of the plastic having some soy in it.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz